Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has technically been there for a long time for those with NoA from EAP/FSD. My "Work" destination was always queued up as a destination as soon as I got in the car in the morning. And "Home" was always set automatically at the end of the day.
I guess it depends on what you mean by a long time, but as of April of this year the feature Musk was alluding to was still coming soon. He was talking about what happens when you enable FSD without a route being queued up. Someone upthread opined on what should happen under these conditions. I thought this was relevant.

Last edited:
Here's the exchange about engaging FSD without a route:

Whole Mars Catalog
@WholeMarsBlog
·
Apr 10

you can just speak to it like take me to chuck e. cheese and it’s like aight let’s go

Elon Musk
@elonmusk

Replying to
@WholeMarsBlog
If you don’t say anything & engage Autopilot, it will soon guess based on time of day, taking you home or to work or to what’s on your calendar

7:54 PM · Apr 10, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
I’ve owned my vision only car since June and it’s done this since day one. In the morning my work is already navigating and set and the opposite in the afternoon for home.

Now if it could only actually navigate me to/from in a normal fashion without 20 disengagements and dangerous situations, we will be getting somewhere.

I guess it depends on what you mean by a long time, but as of April of this year the feature Musk was alluding to was still coming soon. He was talking about what happens when you enable FSD without a route being queued up. Someone upthread opined on what should happen under these conditions. I thought this was relevant.
Since 2019

When I get into the car in the morning, the work destination is already in the nav as the destination. The car knows I’m going to work. If I lived right on a highway, I could just activate AP and it would take me there with nothing to press.

Reactions: impastu
Since 2019

When I get into the car in the morning, the work destination is already in the nav as the destination. The car knows I’m going to work. If I lived right on a highway, I could just activate AP and it would take me there with nothing to press.
"Since 2019"
So this isn't what Musk was talking about when he said it was coming soon in April of this year.

I'm aware of this feature. I know it's a subtle distinction, but I'm talking about what happens when driving and there is no route being displayed on the screen. You don't have automatic navigation enabled, so no route is selected when you enter the car. The distinction is relevant, though, because I was responding to someone who made some comments about what should happen with no route selected when you enable FSD.

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu
"Since 2019"
So this isn't what Musk was talking about when he said it was coming soon in April of this year.

I'm aware of this feature. I know it's a subtle distinction, but I'm talking about what happens when driving and there is no route being displayed on the screen. You don't have automatic navigation enabled, so no route is selected when you enter the car. The distinction is relevant, though, because I was responding to someone who made some comments about what should happen with no route selected when you enable FSD.
You’re reading too much into this. Today the car queues up the most relevant destination of work or home and automatically uses that as the destination.

In the future it may use more cues such as your calendar to know where to go but it still fundamentally works like it has. Just not when you first enter the car. It’s a worthless nuance if the whole point of FSD is you go from driveway to destination. You’re never driving aimlessly at 7am and suddenly decide “oh yeah I’m supposed to go to work… good thing FSD remembered”.

You’re reading too much into this. Today the car queues up the most relevant destination of work or home and automatically uses that as the destination.

In the future it may use more cues such as your calendar to know where to go but it still fundamentally works like it has. Just not when you first enter the car. It’s a worthless nuance if the whole point of FSD is you go from driveway to destination. You’re never driving aimlessly at 7am and suddenly decide “oh yeah I’m supposed to go to work… good thing FSD remembered”.
You are missing the point. I was addressing what should happen if there isn't a route selected and you enable FSD, in direct response to a prior post. Whether you feel it's a "worthless nuance" is irrelevant. It's still a legitimate question, one that hadn't been addressed in April, and Elon felt the need to mention. What should happen?

I drive all the time without a navigation route. My first drives in the morning aren't necessarily to the office.

You are missing the point. I was addressing what should happen if there isn't a route selected and you enable FSD, in direct response to a prior post. Whether you feel it's a "worthless nuance" is irrelevant. It's still a legitimate question, one that hadn't been addressed in April, and Elon felt the need to mention. What should happen?

I drive all the time without a navigation route.
So where should it take you? Well it will only be home, work or something on your calendar. Only the calendar piece is not implemented.

Whether or not it shows on your screen as a pre-selected destination, those will just be queued destinations. If you engage FSD without a route, it will work like it does today where the route is selected already, because the car already knows before you enter the car. That has been the case since 2019.

So where should it take you? Well it will only be home, work or something on your calendar. Only the calendar piece is not implemented.

Whether or not it shows on your screen as a pre-selected destination, those will just be queued destinations. If you engage FSD without a route, it will work like it does today where the route is selected already, because the car already knows before you enter the car. That has been the case since 2019.
Right. This is what Elon said would ultimately happen. That's all I was saying. I only questioned whether it had been implemented yet. I don't think it has, but maybe that's where it's going when you enable FSD without a route.

I'm still seeing the car, when on FSD and making a right turn or when on a road segment with right bends in the road, go onto or over the yellow center line. I do not know if the car is programed to allow for this or not (if there is no on coming traffic the car is allowed to leave its lane). As a result I always disengage when coming to a right curving bend in the road with oncoming traffic. If I knew how the car was programed it would help in intervention decision making. Also does anyone know on what speed is the car making its decisions as how to enter and conduct the turn? Is it selected speed, posted speed limit, actual speed or something else? I've seen the car decelerate to make turns but is it possible that if I have selected a speed greater than the speed limit posted the car cannot decelerate quickly enough to stay within the lane?

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Right. This is what Elon said would ultimately happen. That's all I was saying. I only questioned whether it had been implemented yet. I don't think it has, but maybe that's where it's going when you enable FSD without a route.
I think another level is like the Siri destination suggestions. We have a happy hour every other thur at the same place. After a bit, Siri would Start suggesting that destination when I get in the car on alternate Thursdays. This is based on nothing other than pattern recognition. That would be cool as well.

But honestly, there are like 100 other thangs I want above that. Like for F's sake, let me answer/hangup the phone with a scroll wheel click. Or let me get to Siri/GoogleAssistant with scroll wheel click. Or let me say "Call bob smith mobile" so I don't have to take my hands off the wheel, look at the screen and press the mobile number.

I came upon a group of turkeys on a curvy mountain road this past weekend. (Late afternoon, sun still up.)

Later, about dusk as I was leaving a residential neighborhood, two deer crossed right in front of me.

The FSD Beta visualization did not render any animals at all in either case. :(

(At other times, I have seen dogs walking with people briefly rendered, along with their human.)
Were either of them an obstruction in the road? Did the car need to slow down for them?
Certainly the animal detection isn't great, though it works in some cases.

Today on drive home, FSD Navigation mode, I was behind a very slow moving constructions vehicle( 10 mph ) being followed by a truck with flashing hazard lights. The vehicles were half on the road of travel and half on the shoulder. There was a small SUV in front of my car. As we came to a section of road with a broken yellow line the car mover slightly left across the center line as if to take a peek to see in there was opposing traffic. Will the car in FSD mode execute a pass on a two lane road without my permission or even a warning?

Today on drive home, FSD Navigation mode, I was behind a very slow moving constructions vehicle( 10 mph ) being followed by a truck with flashing hazard lights. The vehicles were half on the road of travel and half on the shoulder. There was a small SUV in front of my car. As we came to a section of road with a broken yellow line the car mover slightly left across the center line as if to take a peek to see in there was opposing traffic. Will the car in FSD mode execute a pass on a two lane road without my permission or even a warning?
Yes it has some "pass a slow/stopped lead car" policy and there's no warning. It's very erratic too, I've observed it momentarily trying to go around cars just taking their turns at stop signs or traffic lights. It will jerk the wheel suddenly to go around and then back to center within just a fraction of a second.

My casual observation of a similar effect is this exit. The car has to take 2 forks correctly following the green line while avoiding the red branches, and it has always struggled with the 2nd fork. Previously it would start hesitating and wobbling halfway between the forks and choose the 2nd fork almost at random, requiring a disengagement most of the time. Last couple times however it was pretty smooth and almost seemed prepared. The nav voice has known the correct left/right directions from the start. Hope I didn't just jinx it to fail on the next attempt lol
Nope, spoke too soon. Today it confidently took the right branch of the second fork when it should’ve stayed left :rolleyes: shows how many of the improvements we see are actually just dice rolls lol

Yes it has some "pass a slow/stopped lead car" policy and there's no warning. It's very erratic too, I've observed it momentarily trying to go around cars just taking their turns at stop signs or traffic lights. It will jerk the wheel suddenly to go around and then back to center within just a fraction of a second.
Ok thanks, that is what I observed. Have you experienced it actually perform the pass?

Were either of them an obstruction in the road? Did the car need to slow down for them?
Certainly the animal detection isn't great, though it works in some cases.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that in both cases, FSD Beta was not yet engaged. I had to stop the car to wait for the animals to get out of the way before I could proceed.

In the case of the flock of turkeys, I had to inch toward them to goad them into moving. It was also on an extremely curvy stretch of road, Hebron Road in the screenshot below.

The deer were on a short residential street where a lot of retired people walk, so I don't feel safe testing FSD Beta there.

Screen Shot 2021-11-20 at 5.50.25 PM.png

Yup, it would appear that as Tesla attempts to solve the Phantom Braking problem, they have managed a partial fix with Phantom Slowing.

In 10.2, I would get hard phantom braking consistently in certain places. Then in 10.3.1 (and now also in 10.4), most of the places that resulted in phantom braking now result in phantom slowing; rather than hitting the brakes hard, the car just moderately slows down, instead.

That's not to say that I don't still get the odd phantom braking, with its seat belt locking shenanigans... that still does happen. It's just not as frequent, and more commonly I get phantom slowing instead.

Shadows on roads have long been a problem for Tesla, and has been well documented here for years. Yet in my experience, I have yet to see a shadow on the road when I get phantom braking or slowing. So there's a lot more going on here than just shadows.

And it appears to be a seriously difficult problem to solve.
I've had phantom slowing during the day and at night. Haven't really noticed much of a difference between day and night driving.

The other day I had a pretty severe phantom braking episode. I gave it lots of go pedal as quicly as possible, but was glad the car behind me wasn't following too closely!

Reactions: FSDtester#1