Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove today from Long Island NY to Brooklyn NY with a mix of interstates and city streets (so a mix of v11 and v12.3.4). I disengaged one time during the entire 26-mile trip. I disengaged because it was going 27 mph in Auto Max where there is a 25-mph speed camera (there were no cars around me). Everyone speeds on Eastern Parkway before and after these cameras (road in Brooklyn), but 27 can get you a speeding camera ticket. So, from driveway to work parking lot with one disengagement.

Every other brand I have used (I do have to be honest, I haven't tested every other brand) seems to have one or more limitation that would make it impossible to do the same trip. FSD isn't perfect, but it does a good enough job for me.
If 2 mph over gets a ticket that’s a rough area.

If 2 mph over gets a ticket that’s a rough area.

They go 24 hrs a day and NYC says it is 10 over, but I have seen the flash of the camera go off for 5 over (I was following at the same distance). I have been able to go 2.5 mph over without tickets (I used to use the 10% over limit and didn't get tickets). I did have a typo, I meant to say 28-29 will get you a ticket. Now, I have no idea if it will take the picture and not actually issue a ticket if you are <10 mph over, I just know I have seen the flash go off when the driver was 5 over.

It is right here where the red box was. I was first in line at this light, as soon as the road bends, the camera is now there pointing at the back of your car. It was accelerating away from the intersection after the light turned green. It was accelerating and was going 26-27 mph when I disengaged. I'm not sure if it would have stayed at 27, there isn't enough of a runway to take that chance.
1713794693039.png

Geez NY is rough. They have these speed cameras, congestion zone cameras, gunshot sensors, noise ordinance - anti honk sensors and who knows what else.
At least they don't require your car to report violations. Yet. (I call that RoboCop mode, as opposed to Robotaxi mode.) ;-)

Or, as my dad used to say, cheer up, things could be worse. So I cheered up and sure enough, things got worse.

Reactions: nativewolf
It's been 3 long years in the FSD beta program as a tester and everyone is aware of the regressive nature of software updates for FSD with 2 steps forward and 1 step back. This Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde behavior is evident with so many who have been in the program as long as i have. I was hoping for many changes with FSD V12 and was excited to try it with the addition of neural networks to rapidly improve evolution of FSD.

The thing that bothers me is the Dr Jeckyll/Mr Hyde on/off behavior of the software. You can have a great day with no interventions and the very next day with the same route and similar weather and traffic experience curb rash, collision, lane malfunctions.

I don't have an answer why this is but today was a bad one. It almost collided into an Audi A6 and was also lane wiggling indecisively and unsure whether to be in right or left lane. I had to intervene and disable FSD within the last second to avoid rear-ending the Audi.

For all the advances of FSD V12, it still cannot be trusted and demands more attentiveness than would be normally the case if you were driving without it. It's my feeling that supervised FSD has little to no market value because it demands so much attention and may actually be more dangerous as it may give a false sense of safety and security.

It's been 3 long years in the FSD beta program as a tester and everyone is aware of the regressive nature of software updates for FSD with 2 steps forward and 1 step back. This Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde behavior is evident with so many who have been in the program as long as i have. I was hoping for many changes with FSD V12 and was excited to try it with the addition of neural networks to rapidly improve evolution of FSD.

The thing that bothers me is the Dr Jeckyll/Mr Hyde on/off behavior of the software. You can have a great day with no interventions and the very next day with the same route and similar weather and traffic experience curb rash, collision, lane malfunctions.

I don't have an answer why this is but today was a bad one. It almost collided into an Audi A6 and was also lane wiggling indecisively and unsure whether to be in right or left lane. I had to intervene and disable FSD within the last second to avoid rear-ending the Audi.

For all the advances of FSD V12, it still cannot be trusted and demands more attentiveness than would be normally the case if you were driving without it. It's my feeling that supervised FSD has little to no market value because it demands so much attention and may actually be more dangerous as it may give a false sense of safety and security.

V12 might be as safe as a drunk driver.

V12 needs some quick progress these next few releases otherwise it's much ado about nothing. These minor releases aren't getting it done.

Yes, there are times when FSD will not follow the nav system route. But I wouldn't count on it in that situation.

I've got a less extreme example: there used to be a large roundabout near my house, but it was removed during construction and has just been replaced by a regular intersection with lanes defined by cones. Part of the new lanes traverse road area that previously was the on-coming traffic lane.

V11 would actually render a phantom circle prior to approaching the construction, at which point it would blur into the actual configuration and come to a complete stop. V12 (or at least whatever is running the visualization while V12 is driving) never shows the previous configuration, and drives confidently with reduced speeds through the intersection. The nav still tells it to enter the circle and take the second exit, but V12 ignores it.

It also needs to be able to correctly respond to construction flag men and anyone else directing traffic.

This task also contains a lot of social nuance. You wouldn't stop for a random man on the side of the road with a stop sign unless they were dressed like a construction worker or a crossing guard.

But because Waymo has explicitly programmed their driver to obey handheld stop signs, a man with a stop-sign tee-shirt can cause them to stop in the middle of the road:

But we'll never get real-time map updates, so FSD needs to be good enough to decipher the lanes from the orange cones, read the various signs, etc. It also needs to be able to correctly respond to construction flag men and anyone else directing traffic.

• Informative
Reactions: TIppy
This is certainly extremely helpful. But, some car has to be the first to go through an area after a construction change, and that car needs to be smart enough to figure it out.
....but it has gotten soooooo much better. In v10.2 even straight forward construction zones were near impossible. Now v12 can "figure out" and navigate most construction sites. I live in the city and put it to the test almost daily. It will only continue to improve with training.

Here is one from a few days ago on GA Tech campus. No problem figuring out it was one way through with lane shift. Towards the end you can see a construction working waving his hand. Car started slowing down and even I was confused. Then the worker realized he was "waving his arm" at the person on the phone. He then singled me forward and FSDS continued through and then making a sharp left. Also I held my hands up and you can see the surprise on his face realizing my cars was driving.

No way any v10 would handle this and don't think many early v11s either. Maybe even 11.69 would fail.

IMG_4820.jpeg
IMG_4821.jpeg
IMG_4822.jpeg

Last edited: