Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: all Smart Summon-related posts go here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most practical use I've found is just holding "Come to Me" as I walk towards the car in a store parking lot and meeting it halfway. Then I just jump in and drive off. It saves the time of backing up, feels very slick, causes minimal disruption to others, and is safe. Maybe even safer than backing up from the driver's seat because I can monitor for cross-traffic more easily from outside the car. It's doing virtually no pathfinding this way, but it's really all I trust it to do for now.
You have a very good point. I would luv for them to add a feature that would allow us to mark the path you want the car to take.

The most practical use I've found is just holding "Come to Me" as I walk towards the car in a store parking lot and meeting it halfway. Then I just jump in and drive off. It saves the time of backing up, feels very slick, causes minimal disruption to others, and is safe. Maybe even safer than backing up from the driver's seat because I can monitor for cross-traffic more easily from outside the car. It's doing virtually no pathfinding this way, but it's really all I trust it to do for now.
I've only seen the "Come to Me" button enabled once in all the times I've considered using Summon. I'm assuming it should behave like the Forward and Reverse buttons where they are greyed out until the car is ready to use them.
I'd be interested to know the steps your taking that enables the button

I've only seen the "Come to Me" button enabled once in all the times I've considered using Summon. I'm assuming it should behave like the Forward and Reverse buttons where they are greyed out until the car is ready to use them.
I'd be interested to know the steps your taking that enables the button
If you have Summon Standby enabled it should show Come to Me when you are in range.
Otherwise it usually takes opening the app to wake your car for it to show.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Tried smart summon on a slow day at the local mall. The path would be: back out of the parking spot advance down the row to a lane, make a right turn, advance about 20 feet then turn right again and stop by me.
What happened: the car backed out of the parking spot and advanced down the row. the car then turned on it's right turn signal and started to turn right then stopped. I ran to the car and got in to move it before it blocked someone. The screen indicated that summon cannot be used on a public street. When I looked at the map it turns out that the lane which was definitely in the parking lot had a name associated with it. Two days later I tried smart summon at the elementary school lot. It was the middle of the day so no one was coming or going except me (I volunteer there) but smart summon would not work, said unavailable.

Tried smart summon on a slow day at the local mall. The path would be: back out of the parking spot advance down the row to a lane, make a right turn, advance about 20 feet then turn right again and stop by me.
What happened: the car backed out of the parking spot and advanced down the row. the car then turned on it's right turn signal and started to turn right then stopped. I ran to the car and got in to move it before it blocked someone. The screen indicated that summon cannot be used on a public street. When I looked at the map it turns out that the lane which was definitely in the parking lot had a name associated with it. Two days later I tried smart summon at the elementary school lot. It was the middle of the day so no one was coming or going except me (I volunteer there) but smart summon would not work, said unavailable.

0 for two...going for #3? :p

More seriously, the street name probably triggered the "Public street" abort. As for the school lot, schools are probably ruled in as off limits (kids).

0 for two...going for #3? :p

More seriously, the street name probably triggered the "Public street" abort. As for the school lot, schools are probably ruled in as off limits (kids).
I’ve used at a HS just fine so school isn’t a limiting factor. I think it just depends on where it thinks you are. A public street or a private lot, and sometimes it gets confused.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: cabbie and jebinc
So who here has pushed the possible limits of the new Smart Summon feature? Like did anyone here have any close calls or can smart summon possibly crash? What about other drivers who see smart summon, or pedestrians, are they weirded out?

First time I tried an empty parking lot at night so I could test how far it will go without pedestrians or moving cars.

Then also my office complex, but its not crowded there.

I'm scared to really try like a far one. Especially when there are more variables involved like having to back up the car. It seems easier if the car was parked back in so the front is facing the exit.

It seems unsafe to try make a Tesla come from the very back of a parking lot and come to a curb of a shopping center. Especially with pedestrians and other cars around. Even if the Tesla was perfect, what are you going to do about the other drivers? Or what if something went wrong and the Tesla hit another car during Smart Summon? Is it possible at all for the Tesla to hit another object?

And is it smart enough to know it must drive straight out for a few feet before it can turn, if say its parked between two cars or two curbs? I just wanna know all the possible variables people have tried.

Right now, I just stick to regular summon if the parking lot is active and during the day. Just enough so I can easily enter a vehicle without squeezing between other cars. But some people get weirded out by it, or don't understand it.

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-29_23-49-37.png
    upload_2019-10-29_23-49-37.png
    905.7 KB · Views: 67
  • upload_2019-10-29_23-50-5.png
    upload_2019-10-29_23-50-5.png
    905.7 KB · Views: 62
I have tested my M3 smart summons in a wide variety of circumstances. Never a close call with my Tesla hitting any one or anything. One time an unobservant person got close to backing in to my M3 on smart summons, but that would have happened even if I was in the car. My experience is my M3 will err on the side of caution, so the worst I have seen is the car stops and creates a traffic jam - not dangerous but embarrassing as people wait while I run to get in the car to drive!

Tonight I tried Smart Summon at a local restaurant. The place was pretty quiet so I decided it was a good opportunity. Anyway, it pulled out of the spot forward (I had backed into the spot so it didn’t have to go in reverse) and it turned left to go down the aisle. So far so good. There was an island at the end of the row so it had to go around it and take a right to get to me. When it pulled off from the stop at the end of that row it took a very wide right, so wide in fact that it actually used parking spaces that were in front of it to make the turn. In doing so, it almost pulled right into the side of a Yukon. I let go of the button about 1 car length from hitting. Who knows what it would have done, but I assume stop. What was alarming or perhaps interesting to me was how fast the car was moving. It seemed very quick to me.
Anyway, it was dark out and the Yukon was black so maybe that affected things.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc