Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: all Smart Summon-related posts go here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This passage from NHTSA applies to almost everything said in this thread.

NHTSA, where are you?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 4.00.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 4.00.01 PM.png
    340 KB · Views: 85
You understand that your anecdote doesn't matter.

You also understand that the dozens and dozens of videos of it being used in unsafe ways, contrary to even Tesla's instructions, are evidence of predictable abuse.
I think my anecdote does matter, as do all the other successful SS videos.
You said it can’t be used safely, which, in fact, it can. Are there instances of it not working, sure.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
The youtuber frugal tesla guy demonstrated it. The car needed to go through a somewhat narrow uphill curb. The car drove into the curb and damaged his wheels. Therefore I wouldn’t not test this in anything but a simple parking lot or risk damaging ones car.
There was another video where a person demonstrating smart summon and the car drove through the parking lot and there was a white Ford Expedition driving quickly perpendicular to the tesla. It didn’t see it at all which makes me wonder. So is it not able to see beyond a narrow field of view. Right now the camera cannot turn its view left and right the way we mortals can swivel our necks and move our eyes around to look for oncoming traffic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Petrocelli
Yet I’ve used it safely many times in two days.

You said it can’t be used safely, which, in fact, it can.

Got it. So not working safely = never having any issues. Sure, ban everything.

You're arguing disingenuously, and I don't appreciate it.

NHTSA's position has nothing to do with cases where it is used safely. NHTSA is concerned with cases where it is not used safely. It is inarguable that there are many many people using it unsafely, because there are dozens and dozens of YouTube videos documenting the abuse, all within a few days of SS release. The abuse is clearly defined -- these people used it contrary to Tesla's direct instructions.

NHTSA's position: "while automated safety technologies may facilitate increased safety, manufacturers should ensure that over the lifespan of the vehicle such technologies themselves do not create unreasonable risks to safety due to predictable abuse or impractical recalibration requirements. The Agency agrees. Unreasonable risks due to predictable abuse or impractical recalibration requirements may constitute safety-related defects."

so then no cars should be sold, as there are millions of data points and videos of people using them unsafely.

This is a pointless strawman argument. NHTSA's predictable abuse clause is applied to automated safety technologies. No one doubts that cars in general can be used unsafely, and no one (including NHTSA) takes the position that cars should be banned.

get over it, its happening.

It's not up to you, or to me. NHTSA will eventually rule on this.

You're arguing disingenuously, and I don't appreciate it.

NHTSA's position has nothing to do with cases where it is used safely. NHTSA is concerned with cases where it is not used safely. It is inarguable that there are many many people using it unsafely, because there are dozens and dozens of YouTube videos documenting the abuse, all within a few days of SS release. The abuse is clearly defined -- these people used it contrary to Tesla's direct instructions.

NHTSA's position: "while automated safety technologies may facilitate increased safety, manufacturers should ensure that over the lifespan of the vehicle such technologies themselves do not create unreasonable risks to safety due to predictable abuse or impractical recalibration requirements. The Agency agrees. Unreasonable risks due to predictable abuse or impractical recalibration requirements may constitute safety-related defects."

This is a pointless strawman argument. NHTSA's predictable abuse clause is applied to automated safety technologies. No one doubts that cars in general can be used unsafely, and no one (including NHTSA) takes the position that cars should be banned.

It's not up to you, or to me. NHTSA will eventually rule on this.
Not arguing disingenuously at all, and I don’t appreciate the inference that I am.

You said it can’t be made safe and I can provide video evidence that it can. Does it mean that it’s safe 100% of the time, no, but neither is anything.

You said it can’t be made safe

Okay, fair point, if a bit lawyer-like. What I intended to say -- and what you know I intended to say! -- is that it cannot be made generally safe.

It cannot be made generally safe because of its enormous potential for predictable abuse.

NHTSA says that if the technology creates unreasonable risks to safety due to predictable abuse, then the technology may constitute a safety-related defect.

People are using SS to drive their cars through complex parking lots full of pedestrians, in ways that they admit -- literally admit on camera -- are outside their line of sight. This is predictable abuse. Literally everyone predicted that SS would be immediately used in unintended ways.

Not arguing disingenuously at all, and I don’t appreciate the inference that I am.

You said it can’t be made safe and I can provide video evidence that it can. Does it mean that it’s safe 100% of the time, no, but neither is anything.
To prove that it can be used with an acceptable level of safety you would have to test it in tens of thousands of different parking lots while following Tesla's instructions. That's irrelevant though if enough people are using it unsafely. I'm not saying it's unsafe, so far it has been very entertaining (which is real value!), I'm just saying that determining statistically whether or not it's safe is impractical for an individual user.

Reactions: SandiaGrunt
Okay, fair point, if a bit lawyer-like. What I intended to say -- and what you know I intended to say! -- is that it cannot be made generally safe.

It cannot be made generally safe because of its enormous potential for predictable abuse.

NHTSA says that if the technology creates unreasonable risks to safety due to predictable abuse, then the technology may constitute a safety-related defect.

People are using SS to drive their cars through complex parking lots full of pedestrians, in ways that they admit -- literally admit on camera -- are outside their line of sight. This is predictable abuse. Literally everyone predicted that SS would be immediately used in unintended ways.
Well I used to be a police officer so......Ok thanks for clarifying, makes sense. I’ll still disagree that they need to consider predictable use. We will agree to disagree on generally safe - different impressions. Agree with you as people are using it in stupid situations (people/traffic) bit I’m good with it is now as I know how/when/where to use it. All I’m saying.

Reactions: SandiaGrunt
I think these folks using it unsafety (not in compliance with Tesla use instructions) are going to screw it up for everyone. It's one thing to do something stupid, it's another to video it and put it on YouTube. Since >98% of US cars are other than Tesla's, I don't think there's going to be much patience or tolerance for us fanboys playing with our toys, at the expense of other's safety or other drivers convenience as they try to figure out what the confused SS Tesla in front of them is going to do.

I don't think there's going to be much patience or tolerance for us fanboys playing with our toys, at the expense of other's safety or other drivers convenience

I agree. I think Tesla makes extraordinarily good electric cars, but Smart Summon -- and perhaps their FSD ambitions in general -- are going to lead to very serious brand destruction.

There are theories that Tesla rushed this Smart Summon release because they need to recognize revenue in Q3 from past FSD sales. I have no idea if this theory is true or not, but it fits the evidence. We'll know soon.

Really not impressed so far and looks like it's going to be even less useful that regular Summon. First try was in a nearly empty parking lot that has diagonal head-in parking in one-way lanes. Stood at the end of the lane and all it had to do was back straight out of the spot and drive to me. Instead of doing that, it made a 270 degree reverse turn and ended up pointing the wrong way in the lane, then tried to make a 3-point turn back the right way. Another car came and I aborted, so I have no idea if it would have eventually made it.

Really not impressed so far and looks like it's going to be even less useful that regular Summon.

I've done limited testing with mine on empty streets and parking lots. I have to admit it is impressive what Tesla has achieved with SS.
That being said, SS has problems about half the time, and as such is really not useful for regular use. Maybe after a few more updates... we'll see.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
From my experience, the first fail is clearly the pedestrians.... The car is confused when seeing them and stops until they clear, which they don't.... As for the 2nd fail, not sure why it tanked other than sensing the approaching car.... but once the car backed away, it should have resumed.....

I had this occur under the TEAP release.... but not since the full release...

I think on the second attempt the owner had bailed and was running toward the car to move it.

Its all beta.

If I'm not mistaken...you accepted the "beta" version before you used it.

No?

It's not even in the realm of beta. It's like a pre-alpha preview version.

Maybe a proof of concept?

I don't know what this is, but it's not a Beta version.

I am happy that the dancing cars in the visualization has been significantly improved. That alone makes V10 worthwhile to me. So overall I'm pleased with V10, but Smart Summon is just a checkbox and I hope Tesla quickly moves onto HW3 stuff.

Last edited: