Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: all Smart Summon-related posts go here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's only because TESLA says that SS is linked to FSD.

Tesla could have said that SS is linked to Blue Cars only. Or Cars with red brake calipers.

The question is simple and everyone is avoiding the obvious answer as to how much the feature cost them.

The answer is Nothing.

Well, the only reason they got money from me for my car is because they tied the car to a price.

Here is a good demo of how not to use Smart Summon:
Version 10.0 summons in a real situation : teslamotors

Looks like the car didn't hit anything, luckily, despite the owner not having it in view much at all. It just stopped itself in a busy thoroughfare through the parking lot. LOL.
That’s at the same time hilarious and horrible. Looks extremely dangerous. Also perfect way to loose your car.

That’s at the same time hilarious and horrible. Looks extremely dangerous. Also perfect way to loose your car.

Yeah. It will only take a few high profile events where it doesn"t go well from an idiot like the fellow who made the video before the whole thing gets severely restricted or removed. He said in the reddit thread he was "willing to pay for any damages his car caused". Obviously he hadn't considered the possibility that his car could hit a fast moving object (a documented limitation of the system) like a running toddler or a person on a bike.

Well here's a pretty big ouch. Let's not comment on whether this person should be using it in the garage. I'm just fascinated that the car doesn't care that there's a wall there...

That's hilarious. Not sure what on earth that person was thinking. Why would you keep pushing the button, and ignore what the car is doing? As you say (I think), Smart Summon is obviously not meant for garages - did Tesla put that in the release notes? (I don't remember.) Just use regular Summon - and be very careful!

How many people do you think would pay for a feature like SS if it wasn't free?

So tired of people saying its FREE... Its not FREE and is part of what I was promised when I bought my car in 2016... Please read the original description below:
FSD.jpg
I purchased a product that promised I would be able to enter my destination and not have to do anything while the car navigated to my destination let me out at my destination and then the vehicle would go find a parking spot on its own and park itself until I was ready.to be picked back up.

Attachments

• FSD.jpg
    FSD.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 35
  • Love
Reactions: notAnExpert
That's hilarious. Not sure what on earth that person was thinking. Why would you keep pushing the button, and ignore what the car is doing? As you say (I think), Smart Summon is obviously not meant for garages - did Tesla put that in the release notes? (I don't remember.) Just use regular Summon - and be very careful!
It does say it's intended for driveways so I guess you need to pull out of the garage first before using it. Obviously she should have been standing on the other side of the car in order to properly monitor it.

Do you plan to flatbed the car between these various pieces of private land? 'cause if a car isn't street legal (as, for example, if it has unsafe software) you can't drive it on the street. So it kind of does matter what NHTSA says.
Enhanced Summon does not work on public roads. That's all that matters to the NHTSA. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Reactions: PACEMD
Here are TWO giant fails I had today.

Yesterday morning (pre dawn) I had mine go over a "tricky" area. This has to be a little hard since it looks a lot like a curb and sidewalk. It was hesitant and think it may have been checking the database since it took a few seconds. The next 2 times it did seem a little faster at crossing but still "looked" and "thought" hard before crossing. So maybe some specific info gets downloaded to your car making it appear to be learning or maybe it is just working a little different each time.

This morning tried again and a total fail and maybe even an accident in the making.

After crossing the "curb" looking sidewalk 3 times (a bit slow/hesitant) in a row yesterday day it was a total failure today. Was heading towards the crossing at full speed and showing no sign of hesitation and I was getting optimistic that maybe there was some individual learning involved. It was still at full speed right as it was about to cross it suddenly turned to the right. Let go just in time and I don't think it was going to stop or even slow down.

Semi is self explanatory.

IMG_2684.jpeg

IMG_1909.jpeg

IMG_1912.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Ludalicious
So tired of people saying its FREE... Its not FREE and is part of what I was promised when I bought my car in 2016... Please read the original description below:
View attachment 461497I purchased a product that promised I would be able to enter my destination and not have to do anything while the car navigated to my destination let me out at my destination and then the vehicle would go find a parking spot on its own and park itself until I was ready.to be picked back up.

Can you circle SS for me? I can't find it.

All kinds of language about driving on the street.

Still looking for Smart Summon from your phone.

The only way I can see the current sensor suite working in the garage fail is if it mapped out the area as you were driving in to the garage. I bet humans look at the surroundings of the car before they get in and form a mental map of the area.
That is how meatbag fleshbrains work, yes. The car is not stateful though. It only sees "now" and tries to figure out the best way to act upon what it sees in the moment.

That is how meatbag fleshbrains work, yes. The car is not stateful though. It only sees "now" and tries to figure out the best way to act upon what it sees in the moment.
Yep, I've noticed the same thing with Autopilot. They're going to have to fix that before Smart Summon is done. It seems like they're actually going to have to leave the cameras on all the time to make sure that nothing enters the blind spots of the car while parked.

I think Tesla is going to regret the day they release advance summon.

The internet is going to break with videos of confused cars clogging up parking lots and embarrassed owners running to rescue them.

Pulling the car in and out of a spot is entertaining. The car driving across a parking lot will be a disaster.
Well, I called this.

The internet is about to break with videos of people acting irresponsibly. It’s a matter of time before some government agency kills Advanced Summon.

Reactions: forkee