Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: all Smart Summon-related posts go here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't find anything but this is a serious safety defect. Having the car require a signal from the phone in order to stop is a horrible design. The default state should be stopped and the car should require a constant heartbeat from the phone in order to continue. If it's not possible to do this in iOS then they should remove it from the app (though I suspect it is possible, I'm sure there are some iOS developers around here). If you can't get in contact with Tesla then you should report it to the NHTSA (File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA).

It's a dead man's switch. Meaning that if the signal is dropped or you take your finger off the button the car stops.

I've seen many parking lot accidents over the years, and been in a couple myself. The biggest issue with Smart Summon is that it's not smart enough to know that people are sh*tty drivers and to be extra cautious when you see someone's tail lights come on.

It's a dead man's switch. Meaning that if the signal is dropped or you take your finger off the button the car stops.
Yeah, that's what it's supposed to be but the behavior @NOLADriver is describing is the opposite of that...
EDIT: I guess you were probably correcting my terminology but I was just describing how I would imagine implementing a dead man's switch in such a system. You'd want the app to be constantly polling the button press and pinging the car for the system to stay operational. Now maybe there's a bug in iOS that prevents this, I have no idea, but either way it's not safe.

Last edited:
Meh. I think there are far more positive videos than negative. Folks just seem to coalesce around the negative ones as they are more interesing to watch and comment on.
My problem is that many of the positive videos also show people acting irresponsibly. For example in the one with the car picking up the family in the rain (that was liked on Twitter by Elon Musk himself!) the car is clearly out of the line of sight of the person summoning it. If they crashed into something everyone would say that they were idiots for not following directions but because they got lucky and it worked everyone says it's a perfect use for Smart Summon.

So I've been doing a lot of testing of Smart Summon, and made a video to illustrate some of the issues I've run into. The TL/DW for the video is that there are two enhancements that will really expand the use cases: ability to set waypoints instead of a simple destination, and the ability to tell the car "Watch this!" and show it how to navigate to a particular destination (such as your spot in the garage). In other words, be able to give the car your global knowledge of a particular situation. IMHO this will not only make SS more reliable and useful, but also provide a lot of useful training data.

I'd be interested to hear what others think about potential SS enhancements.

Video is here:

I have done a few smart summoning with great success. First time was in a mostly empty parking lot of a local community college. I watched as it slowed down upon approaching a speed bump. Drove past a small island and paused (not sure if it was pausing because it thought it was a somewhat intersection or just figuring out next move), it then turned and headed right towards me.

Second time was at a friends house. Had it pull down his driveway, turn to the right and stop in front of his house where I had dropped the pin. I then used the Come To Me thinking it would just backup and go back up the driveway. Instead it went forward and drove around the cul de sac and then back up the driveway. It did not drive over any curbs or any part of his lawn.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Tried to use smart summon for the first time tonight coming out of a restaurant...used target mode (didn't have a come to me button). Pressed the button to summon the car...and the first thing that happened was the car tried to move forward even though it needed to back out of a spot (and the map showed it backing out of the spot). I didn't care to allow it to try again after that, but not sure what happened considering I've seen plenty of videos showing the car backing out of spots (and my map showed the blue line with the car backing out of the spot), yet mine wanted to drive forward right into another parked car.

Has this happened to anyone else?

• Informative
Tried to use smart summon for the first time tonight coming out of a restaurant...used target mode (didn't have a come to me button). Pressed the button to summon the car...and the first thing that happened was the car tried to move forward even though it needed to back out of a spot (and the map showed it backing out of the spot). I didn't care to allow it to try again after that, but not sure what happened considering I've seen plenty of videos showing the car backing out of spots (and my map showed the blue line with the car backing out of the spot), yet mine wanted to drive forward right into another parked car.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I doubt it would hit another car...

• Informative
Question, is smart summon available in all countries?
I have fully self driven option with my car, but my available options are only forward and reverse... nothing like 'come to my location'...

(I recieve v10 yesterday, nothing has changed when I go to the summon section in the phone app)

Should have just used normal Summon to pull the car straight out instead of Smart Summon and let it figure out that it was in a garage and had to maneuver around the opening.
She was standing right there, how could you even let it get that far? You could see it was about to hit, stop the car and get in it your self. I have a tight driveway, I am always there watching it, if by chance it hits something it is on me

She was standing right there, how could you even let it get that far? You could see it was about to hit, stop the car and get in it your self. I have a tight driveway, I am always there watching it, if by chance it hits something it is on me

Yah this too. I mean at any point you can interrupt the summon. Some people need to learn the hard way I guess.

Question, is smart summon available in all countries?
I have fully self driven option with my car, but my available options are only forward and reverse... nothing like 'come to my location'...

(I recieve v10 yesterday, nothing has changed when I go to the summon section in the phone app)
Just the US right now.

Tedla was aiming for a Canadian release last weekend...

I think I've 'solved' Smart Summon, at least in its current state.. If the lot or garage is low-traffic, I will use Come To Me. At the same time, I will walk toward the car. If all goes well, I meet it half way, hop in, and everyone's happy. If all doesn't go well and the car gets "confused" or "lost", I can retrigger Come To Me; and if it's being cantankerous, I'm already on my way to the car anyhow.

I think I've 'solved' Smart Summon, at least in its current state.. If the lot or garage is low-traffic, I will use Come To Me. At the same time, I will walk toward the car. If all goes well, I meet it half way, hop in, and everyone's happy. If all doesn't go well and the car gets "confused" or "lost", I can retrigger Come To Me; and if it's being cantankerous, I'm already on my way to the car anyhow.

is there a distance limit on when come to me shows up? i was probably 50-75 yards from the car last night and didn't have it, had to use target mode.

is there a distance limit on when come to me shows up? i was probably 50-75 yards from the car last night and didn't have it, had to use target mode.
The car has to be "awake"; by default it will not be in your most common parking locations. If you go into Summon and back to the main menu, that's enough to wake it up, and you should see Come To Me then.

Summon Standby is an option buried in Autopilot settings to keep the car awake for instant-Come-To-Me, but it has similar 'vampire drain' drawbacks to Sentry. I don't think that there is any additional power draw if you're already using Sentry anyhow. The default settings are for this to be turned on when not parked at your configured Home, Work, or any Favorite locations.

Think I'm giving Smart Summon a bad rep. I am way to sensitive to how others feel and tend to bail out and pick up the car WAY TOO OFTEN, waving my hand sorry to whomever's waiting.

I looked around yesterday, saw no cars so popped out my app. Car detected pedestrians so it stopped, and this other car came in the opposite direction and started waiting for Tesla to continue, but it didn't and I didn't know if the other car had room to squeeze through, or if they were just waiting for my car to pass, so I bailed.

Happens way too often.