Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Comprehensive Road-Course Modification Guide — Optimizing the 3 for the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone provide the following for me?
As a contribution, I uploaded a cheat sheet that someone else may find helpful. Unfortunately I can't upload an editable one just a PDF.

I have the MPP sport coilovers with the adjustable camber and toe arms.
I have tried a few things and seem to make things worse. Ex. no shims on front =-2.8 but then I got understeer.

Example of what I am looking for and can't find.

Front Driver Front Passenger​

Camber -2.8 -2.8

Toe -.05 -.05

Rebound -6 from hard -6 from hard

Compression -6 from hard -6 from hard

Input requested
Front Driver Front Passenger

Camber

Toe

Rebound

Compression

Rear Driver Rear Passenger

Camber

Toe

Compression

Rebound

Attachments

• Tesla Coilover Settings Public.pdf
    127.9 KB · Views: 71
Can anyone provide the following for me?
As a contribution, I uploaded a cheat sheet that someone else may find helpful. Unfortunately I can't upload an editable one just a PDF.

I have the MPP sport coilovers with the adjustable camber and toe arms.
I have tried a few things and seem to make things worse. Ex. no shims on front =-2.8 but then I got understeer.

Example of what I am looking for and can't find.

Front Driver Front Passenger​

Camber -2.8 -2.8

Toe -.05 -.05

Rebound -6 from hard -6 from hard

Compression -6 from hard -6 from hard

Input requested
Front Driver Front Passenger

Camber

Toe

Rebound

Compression

Rear Driver Rear Passenger

Camber

Toe

Compression

Rebound

Here are my alinement settings at 110mm ground to battery. It’s very difficult to get more than -2.8 camber on the front.

The car will understeer more than oversteer so you may want to purchase UP sway bars and go full soft front and full stiff rear. I can get my car to rotate nicely.

Also attached are MPP recommended suspension settings depending on if you’re at a low grip/technical or high speed/high compression track. Typically for autocross I use 7/6 all the way around. 7 being compression and 6 rebound.

Attachments

• 8B948367-38FA-4CDA-A398-EFD0EF863972.jpeg
    8B948367-38FA-4CDA-A398-EFD0EF863972.jpeg
    433 KB · Views: 129
  • 062AB13A-145B-4A40-A2C7-94176C4651A0.png
    062AB13A-145B-4A40-A2C7-94176C4651A0.png
    328.1 KB · Views: 123
Reactions: Lindenwood
Or just rent a garage for $250/day, for 30amp outlet. In-car SC map actually shows a gray out SC in Laguna Seca. Hopefully, it will be red in the near future

What about renting a big generator? Those can easily put out 8-9 kilowatts. You could cost share with a couple of people and get the price down probably to something pretty reasonable for a day. Obviously not super charging but better than nothing and roughly equivalent to a lot of Home wall Chargers.

They don't charge fast enough to be worth while. It's also heavy. I do have a Honda I could use, but they would do nothing more than 5-8% in between session. It's more for top off than anything else.
Hey, why so pessimistic.
HTB1jiB5tf9TBuNjy0Fcq6zeiFXa7.jpg

You just need to add DC charger to it and for ~20K you can tow your own 250kw supercharger. Now you also can consider renting a place on a track to keep it, so just come with a lot of diesel fuel next time. Or organize people who go to the same track and buy megawatt generator. Then slowly propose track management to either buy it from you and sell kwh to everybody or lease some proper DC charger and invest in cables...

Here are my alinement settings at 110mm ground to battery. It’s very difficult to get more than -2.8 camber on the front.

The car will understeer more than oversteer so you may want to purchase UP sway bars and go full soft front and full stiff rear. I can get my car to rotate nicely.

Also attached are MPP recommended suspension settings depending on if you’re at a low grip/technical or high speed/high compression track. Typically for autocross I use 7/6 all the way around. 7 being compression and 6 rebound.

Thank you.
Yeah, I think I will need the UP sway bars. The -2.8 front camber gave me (I think) more body roll and definitely understeer (had to point people by)
I hadn't see the updated MPP specs.
I am surprised to see you have a square camber setup, I was thinking of 1/2 as much in the back.
I see you have front toe out (makes sense) and rear toe in. Have you tried toe out in the rear or not as much as .2 toe in?

Thank you.
Yeah, I think I will need the UP sway bars. The -2.8 front camber gave me (I think) more body roll and definitely understeer (had to point people by)
I hadn't see the updated MPP specs.
I am surprised to see you have a square camber setup, I was thinking of 1/2 as much in the back.
I see you have front toe out (makes sense) and rear toe in. Have you tried toe out in the rear or not as much as .2 toe in?

I went through a set of front tires in less than 7,000 miles with a more aggressive alinement, so this new setup is a good compromise between daily driver and track. Plus at this ride height I couldn’t get anymore rear camber. I set the rear toe in slightly because the rear was floating a bit at high speed.

I’m very happy with this setup. Over the weekend I had the fastest raw time in a regional autocross event. The car was ballistic! Competed in Street Modified and it was over two seconds faster than any other vehicle in SM and half a second faster than all 150 vehicles which competed that day. In the end the Raw time was good for 17th in Pax.

Attachments

• 037B3EBB-C224-4308-B9DC-1C936F9ED150.jpeg
    037B3EBB-C224-4308-B9DC-1C936F9ED150.jpeg
    797.1 KB · Views: 129
  • F047A49B-A5ED-47DF-8978-B76A13BE39B6.png
    F047A49B-A5ED-47DF-8978-B76A13BE39B6.png
    961.4 KB · Views: 123
I went through a set of front tires in less than 7,000 miles with a more aggressive alinement, so this new setup is a good compromise between daily driver and track. Plus at this ride height I couldn’t get anymore rear camber. I set the rear toe in slightly because the rear was floating a bit at high speed.

I’m very happy with this setup. Over the weekend I had the fastest raw time in a regional autocross event. The car was ballistic! Competed in Street Modified and it was over two seconds faster than any other vehicle in SM and half a second faster than all 150 vehicles which competed that day. In the end the Raw time was good for 17th in Pax.

Awesome, can't argue with success!
May I ask what wheels and tires with sizes and air pressures?

Hi,
I own the 2020 M3P. I plan to take my car to the track frequently next couple of months. I was checking with the local auto service companies like Midas, Firestone e.t.c to get the brake fluid flush done and replace it with Racing brake fluid. None of these guys can source performance brake fluids so can't do this service for my Tesla. I checked a local performance car service who never done it for a Tesla before but said he could do it If I brought the 3 quarts brake fluids myself and quoted $290 for the labor?

Does this sound right?

Back when Tesla cared about their owners, they provided these units for Tesla owners for charging at special events at Laguna Seca. Those days are long gone :(

Hey, why so pessimistic.
HTB1jiB5tf9TBuNjy0Fcq6zeiFXa7.jpg

You just need to add DC charger to it and for ~20K you can tow your own 250kw supercharger. Now you also can consider renting a place on a track to keep it, so just come with a lot of diesel fuel next time. Or organize people who go to the same track and buy megawatt generator. Then slowly propose track management to either buy it from you and sell kwh to everybody or lease some proper DC charger and invest in cables...

Hi,
I own the 2020 M3P. I plan to take my car to the track frequently next couple of months. I was checking with the local auto service companies like Midas, Firestone e.t.c to get the brake fluid flush done and replace it with Racing brake fluid. None of these guys can source performance brake fluids so can't do this service for my Tesla. I checked a local performance car service who never done it for a Tesla before but said he could do it If I brought the 3 quarts brake fluids myself and quoted $290 for the labor?

Does this sound right?

Usually a full brake flush would take 1 hour if you know what you're doing and about 2 hours for 1st timer. It is one of the easiest thing to do and I highly recommend you learn how to do it if you're going to be tracking the car often. A Motive powerbleeder can speed up the operation

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00942X5EI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1