Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is going to a RV campgrounds with an EV super common?

Probably not, though in earlier times, EV drivers may have wanted to keep more charging options open due the smaller coverage of dedicated publicly accessible charging stations. RV campgrounds were probably the most common high power AC charging outlets available for EV road trippers.

Is going to a RV campgrounds with an EV super common? I've never actually been to one nor do I know anyone else who has.

There are decades of RV folks using 14-50s on the road, and installing them at their homes. Ten years ago, it was basically the fastest way to drive cross country in an EV. The charging infrastructure has changed dramatically since then. However even now there are still some rural areas where RV parks exist and formal EV charging sites don't exist. Since 6-50s are much rarer in the wild by comparison, it is no surprise that 14-50 became the defacto standard for higher power mobile EVSEs.

Similar situation with TT-30 - which are also in common use by RVs. Much lower power than a 14-50, but better than 5-15 or 5-20. I'm still surprised Tesla doesn't offer a proper TT-30 adapter for the UMC. (Evseadapters does, and seem to be selling a lot of them.)

I've charged a few times at RV parks in the past. But if I were doing those same routes today I could use Superchargers and CCS sites.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and KJD
The other thing I would say is that I really don't need to charge at 40A. That's fast enough to take my 75 kWh battery from 0 to 100% in about 8 hours. Now that we have solar, I use that (don't get much ¢ selling kWh back to the grid) as much as possible and charge at around 16A max and it's plenty. YMMV but a 20A circuit would be much smaller wire and cheaper.