Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Vision system for Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr X

Jan 18, 2013
1 AU

E2QRo1oXIAUIhTo

So with the removal of physical radar on new 3's and Y's relying now on a pure vision based system, what does this mean for all the older cars with radar?

Are we going to get a retrofit or a software update that re-optimizes the already existing cameras for a pure vision based system and the radar becomes disabled and it'll be carried around like a second appendix, or will our cars just continue to utilize the older radar based system?

Curious

So with the removal of physical radar on new 3's and Y's relying now on a pure vision based system, what does this mean for all the older cars with radar?
Unlikely because Tesla doesn't say that older cars with RADAR will now temporarily lose their existing capabilities: Autosteer at 90mph, Smart Summon, Emmergency Lane Departure Avoidance...

Are we going to get a retrofit or a software update that re-optimizes the already existing cameras for a pure vision based system and the radar becomes disabled and it'll be carried around like a second appendix, or will our cars just continue to utilize the older radar based system?
Yes we are but most likely we have to wait until all the kinks are worked out for the new 3 and Y first then after that, it'll be our turn next.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
Unlikely because Tesla doesn't say that older cars with RADAR will now temporarily lose their existing capabilities: Autosteer at 90mph, Smart Summon, Emmergency Lane Departure Avoidance...
That and they say that even new 3/Y vehicles for non-North American markets "will continue to be equipped with radar and will have radar-supported Autopilot functionality until we determine the appropriate time to transition those vehicles to Tesla Vision."

So it sounds like they plan to eventually turn the radar off on existing vehicles as well. (Probably sometime after feature parity, or better, is achieved.)

I’m surprised they’re removing the radar hardware before they’ve released Tesla Vision widely. No back up plan, and I would expect some 3/Y owners waiting for new cars might not be happy about that, especially since they’ll lose some functionality for a while.

Following their track record, I'm not surprised at all... I am on the other hand very disappointed. It's like they're moving backwards.

(moderator note: Thread changed to master thread, and stickied. Discussion in the Model 3 section around this change should be made in this thread.

@Mr X , thanks for screen capping that, and kicking off the discussion. I am sure this will become a fairly heavily discussed topic for quite some time. )

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteWi
Following their track record, I'm not surprised at all... I am on the other hand very disappointed. It's like they're moving backwards.
Or they are very confident with their vision only version of software that they tested internally. It’s a pretty big move and I doubt they would have gone all in without being 100% sure it will work.

No I am not new. And I have two Tesla’s. Just never bothered with this forum while official one was up and running.

Then how can you say that they are confident in their decision and 100% tested... this really is non-sense in Tesla terms. Look at their promises with FSD from how many years ago? Look at how bad summon was/is when it was released. They messed up with every single big release they made, but this one for sure is different and 100% tested ;)

I think radar/non-radar is an Autonomous related subject that affects all models and not just Model 3.

It is, yes, and I normally move all threads discussing it to the autonomous section, however this feature specifically targets model 3 and Y, so I did not re locate this thread to the autonomous section because it is, for right now, model 3 specific. It can be discussed in either subforum.

If this was going to be released for all tesla vehicles simultaneously, then I would likely have moved this discussion to the autonomous section.

It could be a genius move to save production costs, especially during the global chip shortage.

That could be the case too, but the chip shortage can also be pressing them and making them move even further beyond their actual capabilities... all this while FSD is $10k already?

If it's true that they're increasing FSD price yet again and going to vision only with barely tested/functioning features, it may not be such a bright move. At this point, nothing surprises me anymore... I made my peace that I'm going to enjoy my AP1 S for a little while longer and that I'm not going to be driving another Tesla...

That could be the case too, but the chip shortage can also be pressing them and making them move even further beyond their actual capabilities... all this while FSD is $10k already?

If it's true that they're increasing FSD price yet again and going to vision only with barely tested/functioning features, it may not be such a bright move. At this point, nothing surprises me anymore... I made my peace that I'm going to enjoy my AP1 S for a little while longer and that I'm not going to be driving another Tesla...

Count your blessings at $10,000 because Reddit posts a source code citing $14,000

gqiwx9m0bb171.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Pyre and cucubits
Or they are very confident with their vision only version of software that they tested internally. It’s a pretty big move and I doubt they would have gone all in without being 100% sure it will work.
Lol, this was the best thing I've read all day. 😆

Signed, a very early AP2 Model S owner

My car didn't even have automatic headlights or screen dimming when I took delivery, let alone autosteer or TACC. It was nearly a year before any of the advanced features actually worked well enough to want to use, and multiple years before they delivered everything they promised me at delivery. Early owners should count on this being a significant step back in all regards while Tesla uses them as guinea pigs to get it right.

Tesla is shipping cars with no radar for Auto Pilot but using video…. Ummm thoughts 🤔

By removing radar, some features are lessened as well, which could mean it's premature to do so just because of saving money alone but also because it's being pressured due to the global chip shortage.

Radar is really good at detecting speed which explains why the feature of 90 MPH Autopilot will have to be temporarily reduced to 75MPH until the vision software can catch up with the radar parity.

It's also evident as the following distance has to be longer so the vision software can catch up with the speed detection ability in order to achieve radar parity.

I think vision can detect speed fine but it takes longer and it takes more intensive calculations to achieve radar parity.

Tesla says vision is the future. The question is: Is the future here already?