Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Vision system for Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have feelings about this one. I just purchased a M3 and am waiting for delivery to find out that the car I ordered is not the car I’ll be receiving. I’m a big fan of the cars and really enjoyed the test drive but for me this is on the verge of cause for cancellation. Anyone know if Tesla will make it right by fitting these with sensors if they flip/fail on this one or it takes Elon time to implement? Not thrilled that they chose to deliver lesser vehicles (cost and function wise) at the same price while making new owners the attempted proof of concept.

...Anyone know if Tesla will make it right by fitting these with sensors if they flip/fail on this one or it takes Elon time to implement? Not thrilled that they chose to deliver lesser vehicles (cost and function wise) at the same price while making new owners the attempted proof of concept...

You might not realize that Tesla specifically says their system is beta. The nature of beta is it can be faulty and might not work as beta testers wish. Owners are essentially beta testers to see whether the system works or not.

So, legally, Tesla does not have to restore the missing radar once the sale went through.

However, I think public relations, reputations would pressure Tesla to do the right thing to restore consumers' confidence.

Reactions: SkuleBus
Yes, they did...

All new Model S and Model X, as well as all vehicles built for markets outside of North America, will continue to be equipped with radar and will have radar-supported Autopilot functionality until we determine the appropriate time to transition those vehicles to Tesla Vision.
So basically it still comes across as a cost cutting measure. There are hundreds of thousands of cars out there now they could gather data on.

I have feelings about this one. I just purchased a M3 and am waiting for delivery to find out that the car I ordered is not the car I’ll be receiving. I’m a big fan of the cars and really enjoyed the test drive but for me this is on the verge of cause for cancellation. Anyone know if Tesla will make it right by fitting these with sensors if they flip/fail on this one or it takes Elon time to implement? Not thrilled that they chose to deliver lesser vehicles (cost and function wise) at the same price while making new owners the attempted proof of concept.

The fact that they mention they are asking owners to accept the change, means that there is virtually zero chance they will "fit the car with sensors later".

Purchase or dont, but dont purchase it thinking "if this doesnt work tesla will fit radar to my car later" cause there is virtually no chance of that happening in my opinion (just like they have not fitted anyone with rain sensors, even though their automatic wipers basically have never operated as good as other manufacturers with sensors).

Reactions: SigNC
(personal opinion post, not speaking for TMC, other moderators, or anyone other than myself)

I posted the little blurb above, because, while many members here may already know that when I am posting "as a mod" I specifically call it out, and anything else is just "jjrandorins opinion". With that being said, I also understand that sometimes, people view moderators words as "weightier" unless its specifically called out its just a regular person making a regular opinion.

================================================

Only speaking for myself, if I was in the shoes of someone buying a model 3 / Y "right now" and could hold off for a bit (a few months), I would. I would want to see what others experiences were.

Now, if I really needed to have a car, I think I would still go ahead, but thats because I have owned one of these for 2+ years, and even though I have FSD, find that I enjoy driving it too much to use FSD a lot unless I am in traffic or something.

Everyones use or tolerance to be a "tester" for this type of thing is different. There is no shame in deciding to hold off, if one can do so, and is wary of this change. If I was buying a car and could hold off for a few months, I likely would hold off, or try to get a late model used one with radar still in it. Thats just because I feel it is going to take tesla some time to "work this out" and I would want the same model 3 that everyone else was getting.

It may end up to be better, or it may not, we wont know till we look at it with hindsight. Thats just what I would do, and I dont envy all of you who have to make that choice yourselves right now.

No right answer, just risk tolerance or lack thereof.

Reactions: JohnnyEV and BM3B
So basically it still comes across as a cost cutting measure. There are hundreds of thousands of cars out there now they could gather data on.

I think the long-term move away from radar was absolutely a cost-cutting measure, but the reason it rolled out now is because they can't get the Bosch radar units. There's a shortage. So their options were to make the change now with reduced functionality or wait to build cars until the radar units were available.

Tesla is doing well but IMO they're still not in a position where they can't ship cars. I don't think they'd have done it if they weren't already planning to make the change relatively soon anyway.

(personal opinion post, not speaking for TMC, other moderators, or anyone other than myself)

I posted the little blurb above, because, while many members here may already know that when I am posting "as a mod" I specifically call it out, and anything else is just "jjrandorins opinion". With that being said, I also understand that sometimes, people view moderators words as "weightier" unless its specifically called out its just a regular person making a regular opinion.

================================================

Only speaking for myself, if I was in the shoes of someone buying a model 3 / Y "right now" and could hold off for a bit (a few months), I would. I would want to see what others experiences were.

Now, if I really needed to have a car, I think I would still go ahead, but thats because I have owned one of these for 2+ years, and even though I have FSD, find that I enjoy driving it too much to use FSD a lot unless I am in traffic or something.

Everyones use or tolerance to be a "tester" for this type of thing is different. There is no shame in deciding to hold off, if one can do so, and is wary of this change. If I was buying a car and could hold off for a few months, I likely would hold off, or try to get a late model used one with radar still in it. Thats just because I feel it is going to take tesla some time to "work this out" and I would want the same model 3 that everyone else was getting.

It may end up to be better, or it may not, we wont know till we look at it with hindsight. Thats just what I would do, and I dont envy all of you who have to make that choice yourselves right now.

No right answer, just risk tolerance or lack thereof.
I was planning on ordering an M3 LR this week, but this confusing news of the radar delete is puzzling and confusing. I am putting my ordering plans on hold because adaptive cruise control and AEB are very important to me, and now without a radar on the car, I will wait until the Tesla Vision has matured to an acceptable level. Why rush to make an uninformed decision?

I think the long-term move away from radar was absolutely a cost-cutting measure, but the reason it rolled out now is because they can't get the Bosch radar units. There's a shortage. So their options were to make the change now with reduced functionality or wait to build cars until the radar units were available.

Tesla is doing well but IMO they're still not in a position where they can't ship cars. I don't think they'd have done it if they weren't already planning to make the change relatively soon anyway.
Ah this all makes sense then. I didn't realize the parts squeeze included radar units.

I am putting my ordering plans on hold because adaptive cruise control and AEB are very important to me
The announcement clearly spelled out the disparities that the non-radar will eventually catch up with radar cars:

1) Maximum operational speed for Autosteer is 75 mph and it will catch up with radar-capability cars at 90 mph later
2) Smart Summon
3) Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance

It does not say that the cruise control nor the Automatic Emergency Braking is disabled.

I will wait until the Tesla Vision has matured to an acceptable level. Why rush to make an uninformed decision?

Buying a real proven product is a lot to ask when it comes to Tesla FSD. People were willing to buy FSD in October 2016 when the simplest Autopilot features were not functioning and as of today, only a very few people could get a hold of FSD beta.

That's 5 years so far. So, if you want to wait for a real product, that's a normal prudent consumer would do but be aware of the timeline. You might have to wait for a long time!