Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fascinating. That cap should be tossed if you ask me. Who knows what you’re absorbing through your skin when you sweat into it.

I hate it when people reply to threads without reading all 18 pages first.

He clearly said he could remove stains with acetone. So there's no need to toss the hat. If he ever get a black halo around his forehead, he simply has to shower with acetone. If it's safe for the white polyurethane seat, it won't hurt him.

Yes, I'm joking.

Thought I'd share, saw this in a FB group. Looks like staining isn't isolated to black hats. The owner used alcohol, Fantastik, Magic Eraser, baby wipes, etc, none of it worked.

Not saying the fault lies with either party yet, but I'd think leaving a hat on a seat falls under "normal use" for the car seats. Leaving a salt water drenched hat on the seat to bake for months will probably fall under the "not normal use" category (OP said this wasn't the case).
But for the seat belt to stain is a whole other story. That's a component of the car affecting another part of the car.

It is possible the seatbelt caused the problem, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. It is just as likely the belt picked up something from whoever was strapped in. People spray all sorts of stuff on their skin, or spill all sorts of stuff on themselves (especially if they eat in the vehicle)

Seems like the hat is what has a defect. Where was it made. Do not buy another from them.
I would guess that the hat is a cheap knock off of something pricier and as such is of poor quality that it would stain anything you left it on in the hot sun. Try washing it and see if it bleeds color or chemicals.

For the love of god, did you read this thread at all before commenting?

The hat was bought directly from (and made by) Melin, a very nice hat company. I have several of their hats, this is most certainly not a "cheap knock off".

www.melinbrand.com

As already pointed out and demonstrated earlier in this thread, the hat does bleed ink when wet.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki

The hat was bought directly from (and made by) Melin, a very nice hat company. I have several of their hats, this is most certainly not a "cheap knock off".
LOL. No, not carefully. :)

FWIW, over TiVocommunity, we have a term for that: smeeking.

See Urban Dictionary: smeek or search StateMaster - Encyclopedia: TiVo Community Forum for smeek. Over there, we sometimes say "sorry, I might be smeeking..." if we know we haven't read all the previous replies. For some, it's impossible. There's a long running "thing that annoy you" thread that is at 4155 pages or post 83100. I just checked on jsmeeker. His post count is past 110k. :O

Your story along w/numerous others are a cautionary tale of why I would never want to buy or lease a car with white seats.

www.melinbrand.com

As already pointed out and demonstrated earlier in this thread, the hat does bleed ink when wet.
"Get a white interior they said....."

Now "they" are saying ditch that hat. I will debate that Melin is not a nice hat company if their products leech dye like that.

Now you can show people the stain on your seat and let everyone know it was from a hat made by a very nice hat company.

So perhaps it wasn't the hat itself or sweat, perhaps the previous owner or dealer treated the seats with some type of conditioner or cleaner and it then interacted with the dye in the hat and caused the stain.

Hey everyone -

Have scrolled through a ton of posts on how to keep seats clean, but not a ton on how to deal with the aftermath.

Within the week, my passengers left various marks across the front and rear seats. Incidents occurred separately, but seem to be extremely similar in nature.

Doesn't seem like a scuff, but more of a stain with varying degrees of darkness.

Have tried warm water + soap, yet not budging at all. Before I go down the rabbit hole of research, perhaps there are some fellow stain survivors willing to share their tales.

Photos attached - thanks crew !

Attachments

• IMG_2518.JPG
    IMG_2518.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_2519.JPG
    IMG_2519.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_2521.JPG
    IMG_2521.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 489
hahaha from what I could gather, no shoe sitting occurred, nor any batman sightings...

Thanks to everyone who's thrown in a suggestion. I've got an appt for the musk-y smelling air-con coming up, so I'll also see what they recommend as well. I'll steer clear of the abrasive stuff until it's officially pronounced unfixable.

I reckon it's a clothing dye of some sort. I'll update the thread if anything miraculous happens.

A member on here, maybe a few months ago, posted his white rear seat staining that I think he determined came from a baseball cap left on his back seat for some time. Kind of reminds me of your situation. Don’t know if I reread his thread later to see what the outcome of trying to remove was though.

just found the thread...Get a white interior they said...... Post #53 talks about another person’s seat belt stain. OP with hat (the stain source) had some luck getting most of the stain out.

Last edited: