Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hard to believe that this stain transfered from one dry surface to another dry surface, especially with no pressure being applied.

Thanks for the good tips, I’m thinking at this point I’ve got to hit up the local service center to see what they can do. I’ve already gone up the chain of cleaners and tried the magic eraser. I’m worried I may have already damaged the fabric, so I’m not touching it myself any more.

The hat is a Melin Trooper II, a hat that’s actually designed to get wet and wear outdoors to the beach/pool/lake. The front is neoprene and the back is a quick-dry nylon fabric (that’s the part that was touching the seat). That adds further mystery to my it transferred. This hasn’t happened between the hat and other clothes or my head when I’ve gotten it wet before.

Attachments

• F4CE0846-E4A7-426B-B275-734E379E870F.jpeg
    F4CE0846-E4A7-426B-B275-734E379E870F.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 902
  • 5782AEAB-F8C1-47A2-AFAD-C464FA3561DE.jpeg
    5782AEAB-F8C1-47A2-AFAD-C464FA3561DE.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 729
Reactions: Icer
Is it possible the stain was already there when you threw the hat back on the seat?

The only other thing I can think of is people’s sweat and skin oils vary greatly. We’ve seen some crazy headrest pictures - even on black interiors, where the headrests has been effectively ruined by that person’s sweat/oils type.

What if there was cleaner residue on the seat from detailing at delivery. In essence not so much the hat but something that was there aiding transfer?

The car is six months old. I bought it used from a fellow member on here. Seat was in perfect shape when I got it from him. I suppose something could have been on the seat chemical-wise but I dont know if he used anything or not. Good suggestion, I’ll follow up with him to see.

That’s good info to keep a eye out for. I’ll have to avoid resting my head on the seat back as well without a hat or something in the summer time.

I wouldn’t sweat it (pun intended). Most people have no issues. There’s always a few outliers with really aggressive sweat/oils or lotion they put in their hair. You’d know by now if you were one of those people because there would be other things in life you’d have destroyed.

So, the paper towel trick worked, and lo and behold the hat stained it. So, a little bit of liquid and it transfers dye.

The good news is that it enabled me to try different things to see if anything would get the dye out of the paper towel. The only thing I had any luck with was nail polish remover. So, armed with a small paintbrush and a bottle I carefully attacked the stain in the car one small spot at a time. Each time I’d finish a spot, I’d thoroughly clean the remover off of the seat. After a nerve-wracking eternity, I was able to get most of it to come out. There’s still some left but it’s a lot better than it was. Perhaps I’ll get up some more courage another day, but for now I’ll live with it.

Attachments

• C46C9220-357C-4FA9-B70C-32D574E6A0F6.jpeg
    C46C9220-357C-4FA9-B70C-32D574E6A0F6.jpeg
    385.3 KB · Views: 873
  • 7D2681CB-D58D-460E-B54C-EC8C5A86916E.jpeg
    7D2681CB-D58D-460E-B54C-EC8C5A86916E.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 908
So, the paper towel trick worked, and lo and behold the hat stained it. So, a little bit of liquid and it transfers dye.

The good news is that it enabled me to try different things to see if anything would get the dye out of the paper towel. The only thing I had any luck with was nail polish remover. So, armed with a small paintbrush and a bottle I carefully attacked the stain in the car one small spot at a time. Each time I’d finish a spot, I’d thoroughly clean the remover off of the seat. After a nerve-wracking eternity, I was able to get most of it to come out. There’s still some left but it’s a lot better than it was. Perhaps I’ll get up some more courage another day, but for now I’ll live with it.
You are brave using acetone. That stuff will dissolve all kinds of stuff. I used it once to attempt a scuff removal on a BMW plastic trim and it removed the plastic’s color.

• Funny
Reactions: Icer