Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Matrix LED Headlights Retrofit Journey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do these changes survive computer swaps or upgrades? I'm going ahead with the 'steam' computer upgrade for my car and wondering if I will lose my matrix headlight and other config changes. I have been assuming (hoping) that these config changes are written to Tesla databases and not just the computer in the car.
That's a good question. One of the few procedures Tesla doesn't publicize in the service manual (you need toolbox with security access to see the full steps). My gut feeling is they'd have a mechanism of transferring the config. But then does make you wonder what happens for cars where the computer fails altogether.

There are enough procedures that change the gateway that I suspect they might actually be backed up to the servers. But that's a guess

• Helpful
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
That's a good question. One of the few procedures Tesla doesn't publicize in the service manual (you need toolbox with security access to see the full steps). My gut feeling is they'd have a mechanism of transferring the config. But then does make you wonder what happens for cars where the computer fails altogether.

There are enough procedures that change the gateway that I suspect they might actually be backed up to the servers. But that's a guess
I have been thinking the same. I'll post the results once it is done. Prob a couple weeks though.

What updates have you done that your afraid you might lose ?
I have done the matrix headlight retrofit and am in the process of doing the swivel screen and VCLEFT. Not as critical but I am also halfway through changing from wood to carbon fiber and my config now shows carbon fiber.

I've heard they have to collect the Config and Certs off the existing computer if it works to load into the new one. Either way, the options and hardware are still there. The most reasonable explanation is if the customer paid for CCBK or updated the yoke to the new mechanical horn it would have to be recoded into the original config. Faster to pull the existing config.

If they reload the original Config to the car, the VC_Left won't matter and will still work with the new MCU. The headlights might throw an error and be non-functional, the tilt screen won't work, but the car would be drivable. You could probably even reprogram it yourself when you pick it up if you knew all the config options for the Service Shell.

Last edited:
Just bought everything now waiting for it to arrive once they are here will try to get it done :) ASAP :)

Does anyone know if the S/X have the Matrix headlight support for US with latest software updates ?
No US support at this time. I personally think it will be some time before we see it in the states. The reason I’d want the new headlight is for better illumination.

So, everything worked out.
Here are a few things that were holding me back:
  1. With the Model S, I had to connect the Rad Device. Initially, I didn't know whether to leave it on auto slave or master. So, We just connected it, but it wouldn't connect at all. To resolve this issue, I had to hold down the Middle Button until I saw the light turn purple. However, By holding down it was not turning purple, the crucial step was to unhook the power source first from that Rad Device, ensure the device was off, then keep the middle button held down while hooking it back to power. Finally, the light turned purple.
  2. After achieving the purple light, the car still wouldn't connect, regardless of what I did with Chrome settings or reinstalling proxy software. What resolved the issue, surprisingly, was restarting the computer after installation of proxy software (Important). Despite being in IT, I overlooked this simple step. Quite annoying, to say the least!

3. Following this, the command from the service shell worked fine, reinstalling the software/firmware in the car. The headlights started working, but the adjust headlight button still didn't show up under the service menu. So, I decided to do a scroll wheel reset/restart, which resolved the issue.
Regarding calibration, I marked the old headlights and got a ballpark idea for all three vehicles before removing them, noting where they were pointing. I then aimed the new headlights under the same area in terms of height by marking with tape. While this method may not be foolproof, I'll find out tonight. If it doesn't work, I'll follow the calibration instructions.

With that said I was able to do all 3 Vehicle change to matrix headlights.

Last edited: