Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Matrix LED Headlights Retrofit Journey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The service procedure for headlight removal (non global headlight) has the fascia removal procedure in it .
View attachment 1049097
The service procedure for global headlight removal has a differwnt step for it (fewer bolts to remove)
View attachment 1049098

I have the front UP splitter so I can’t get to the extra bolts in the fascia removal pic.

Which is it in reality?
I didn’t remove them. I just removed the ones by the front grille and sides. I did each side one at a time but never took off the entire bumper.

Reactions: MFrunkerOG
Definitely sticker shock. I got mine on ebay for $600/pair brand new from seller Zapaska (now a bit higher priced) . Mine were rev -F and I know @leecox got his from ebay as well and they were rev -E. Both work in our cars.

DM me if you want links.
Got mine from same seller as well but for $799 back then. Seems lower now. But they arrived nicely packed and new.

Reactions: Bull
On the headlight adjustment, I’ve found that my right headlight pattern (when doing the adjustment has the horizontal beam lower than what the left beam horizontal is.

If I try to line up both horizontal beams, the vertical L pattern on the right headlight is taller than the left.

Others?

On the headlight adjustment, I’ve found that my right headlight pattern (when doing the adjustment has the horizontal beam lower than what the left beam horizontal is.

If I try to line up both horizontal beams, the vertical L pattern on the right headlight is taller than the left.

Others?
As I recall, mine might be a little taller on the right also. Can't say if that is normal though. I think it is more important to have the horizontal beams lined up at the right height.

Last edited:
Reactions: MFrunkerOG
As ai recall, mine might be a little taller on the right also. Can't say if that is normal though. I think it is more important to have the horizontal beams lined up at the right height.
My wall isn’t as wide so I think I was adjusting the horizontal part of the L on the left headlight with the actual horizontal beam on the right headlight.

Hence the mismatch. I fixed that now. I align the right headlight first and then when doing the left, I just align the tops of the L :)

Works!

Reactions: Bull
My wall isn’t as wide so I think I was adjusting the horizontal part of the L on the left headlight with the actual horizontal beam on the right headlight.

Hence the mismatch. I fixed that now. I align the right headlight first and then when doing the left, I just align the tops of the L :)

Works!
Are you covering the opposite headlight when adjusting each? Or just fine tuning it with both headlights exposed?

Long time reader of this thread.
Happy to see that matrix headlight works on MS 2021. Even more I shoked with price for pairs of like new matrix headlights on eBay. It's dirty cheap - in 2010 for car which cost 20k, pair of lenses based headlights cost $400-$500.
I big fan of good light, and current version of headlight is shame.

I'm willing to join club and try install them.
As far as I understood I need 4 ingredients:
- New headlights: eBay
- Adapters: Pre-Order: 2021+ Tesla Model S Refresh Matrix Headlight Adapter Pair
- Configuration for car/update config
- Straight hands

I still no clear on "Configuration for car/update config". Buy media converter/cables - fine, what software do I need? What I the process of setup config via shell ? I'm software developer if that matters...

PS build 12/2021, no ethernet port ;( but 16GB & steam working,.

Thanks.

Happy to see that matrix headlight works on MS 2021. Even more I shoked with price for pairs of like new matrix headlights on eBay. It's dirty cheap - in 2010 for car which cost 20k, pair of lenses based headlights cost $400-$500.

- Adapters: Pre-Order: 2021+ Tesla Model S Refresh Matrix Headlight Adapter Pair
- Straight hands

I still no clear on "Configuration for car/update config". Buy media converter/cables - fine, what software do I need? What I the process of setup config via shell ? I'm software developer if that matters...

Thanks.
If you have the Steam computer you should have an ethernet port. Are you looking in the right spot?

Sign up for an account at Service and diagnostic information for independent businesses and individuals involved in the professional maintenance and repair of Tesla vehicles. so that you have access to all the procedures you will need to know. Read the procedures before attempting.

The config change commands can be done through Tesla Toolbox which can be found at Service and diagnostic information for independent businesses and individuals involved in the professional maintenance and repair of Tesla vehicles.

He has a Rev02 of the -D computer. Those have the 16GB of ram but don’t have the Ethernet port. There are VERY few of them out there. The Rev E were the first with the wider eCall port for the Ethernet retrofit.

Daytona’s is the same. He’ll need a Media Converter to connect to the car.

As for the software, you go to a website (service.telsa.com) and then pay for Toolbox3 access to use the service shell. Or you can pay someone else to do it.

• Informative
Reactions: dev_lvl80 and Bull

- Straight hands

Thanks.
If you do not have an ethernet connection, you will need a media converter. I recommend this one:

If you have the Steam computer you should have an ethernet port. Are you looking in the right spot?

Sign up for an account at Service and diagnostic information for independent businesses and individuals involved in the professional maintenance and repair of Tesla vehicles. so that you have access to all the procedures you will need to know. Read the procedures before attempting.

The config change commands can be done through Tesla Toolbox which can be found at Service and diagnostic information for independent businesses and individuals involved in the professional maintenance and repair of Tesla vehicles.
I wish to have ethernet port, but reality is different, I have steam & non ethernet port

IMG_3704.jpg

Thanks for references!
I see where is complex part of retrofitting. I had recently mobile service and might ask him to help.

Reactions: Daytonaviolet