Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max Battery Power Missing - Firmware 2019.8.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got this email a little bit ago:

"Hello Ostrichsak,

This is the Virtual Diagnostic team at Tesla reaching out regarding your firmware update concern listed on your Tuesday, May 14th, appointment.

Our technicians want to inform you that this issue is a known firmware bug that is currently under investigation by Tesla engineers and this will be fixed with a future firmware package, we currently do not have an ETA for the firmware package release but it is under development.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but please know that we here at Tesla are working to resolve this condition quickly and the rectifying Firmware package is in development.

At this time there is no repair that can be performed at the service center to resolve your software issue and your rectifying firmware will be sent to your vehicle over the air when it is available. If you have no further questions or concerns you may cancel your appointment for Tuesday, May 14th.

Thank you"

Pretty much the same message I got
Screenshot_20190510-170417.png

Last edited:
I have two issues:-
Firstly I have lost performance from upgrade 2019.12.1.1. which has robbed me of "max battery"/Ludicrous + (or whatever it is called) and my launch mode.
Secondly - apparently my CPO P90DL is supposed to do 0 to 60 in 2.6 seconds (that is what the Tesla website advert said). According to my after purchase research this may not even be possible wtih a P90DL with a V1 battery. (which is what I have).

I am getting to the point that I am peed off with my recent Tesla purchase. Can someone at Tesla please sort this out.

James

Add me to the list of Launch Mode disappeared.
2015 P85D Insane, version 2019.12.1.1

I'm of the opinion it is a bug that will be fixed, otherwise why not just purposely disappear the "max battery mode" button?
The addition of Insane+ mode has the intention of, and an explanation in the release notes, to be the new way of enabling max battery mode (and Launch Mode).

Directly after super charging to 97% today I logged only 417kW with my p85dL 55k miles.... hmmm. Isn’t that “just” “insane” type of power?

It could just be cold Ludicrous power — although supercharging itself would usually be enough to bring temp higher but it can still be hotter. Without the battery heater available to use, have to heat the battery further by just getting a few runs in. OF course the more runs then the lower the SOC. So ideally to need to hit top SOC and top battery temp. That is easiest to do when it is hot 90+ outside.

Are the canbus logs from power tools not accurate after the recent updates to Tesla’s software?

Serious question. I would consider getting a Dragy for measurement but all I want to see is accurate peak power.

I guess they are accurate — no reason to think they are aren’t. But I think the power is just a means to an end: the performance. I would rather measure the end, then the means.

Can you share that data? Maybe you did and I missed it.

Under ideal circumstances: 95+ SOC, hot battery (just below temp that triggers cooling, a hot day helps), zero cargo in car, all accessories off, suspension to low) I got a 11.31 1/4 mile. The 1/8 mile time on that ideal run at the track was 7.15. Time slip is on dragtimes.

I can’t safely legally get a good 1/4 mile run outside of the track so I do 1/8 mile runs. I have done numerous non-ideal runs with Dragy before and after the update. By non-ideal I mean the SOC may only be in the 80s or low 90s; I have power cords and crap in my trunk that I usually carry around. I left the lights and AC on, didn’t lower the suspension etc.

Back in 2018 August I have a [email protected] 1/8 mile run with 1.72 60 foot. I didn’t note the conditions in comments because I was just fooling around with Dragy. IT’s the 7th fastest 1/8 mile time for all History under Tesla on Dragy.

Just below that at 8th fastest 1/8 time is another [email protected] with 1.68 60 foot that I did on May 3 2019 after the update. There I noted that the battery was 85 SOC and cold — ambient temp was 61F. (Dragy now records that which is cool). I also had some extra crap in car it generally wasn’t in ideal conditions. Teslafi.com tells me I got 2019.12.1.1 4b1dd29 on 04/30/2019 6:18 AM.

I feel like if I got under ideal conditions again, especially on a hot day, I could replicate the 11.31 and 7.15 times at the track or at least come pretty close accounting for some degradation. But I definitely don’t feel like there is any software power limitation. The only limitation is that the battery heater switch isn’t available, so you have to heat the battery some other way.

My dragy came in this afternoon. Had the car fully charged and took it out. Outside temps are about 92 degrees at the time of the run. Did 6-7 warm up runs to get the tires and battery warmed up. The best I could get out of the car was a 3.15 0-60 time. I really would have expected this to be in the 2.8-2.9 range.

AC was off
upload_2019-5-11_15-31-23.png

Screenshot_20190511-151515.png

So, quick comparison I did between my car and Daddy S' car (I think we have almost identical cars - P90DL AP1 with V3 battery). The red circled area is my area of concern. Obviously getting a good launch is key to a low 0-60 time, but look at how drastically my car's acceleration drops off compared to the other car.

Comparison.png

So, quick comparison I did between my car and Daddy S' car (I think we have almost identical cars - P90DL AP1 with V3 battery). The red circled area is my area of concern. Obviously getting a good launch is key to a low 0-60 time, but look at how drastically my car's acceleration drops off compared to the other car.

Considering how different the graph scales are it makes it difficult to compare. Also, he was going uphill while you were going downhill...

Given the bumpiness of your graph I would guess that the road you were on has a poor surface or your tires aren't up to the challenge and the car keeps pulling power to keep them from spinning.

Reactions: bhzmark
completely flat road, very good surface. Considering it was downhill, it should have been quicker. I will take it to the track and get some legitimate times. The struggle is getting the battery charged as the nearest track is about an hour and a half away.

What is the age/condition of your tires? Something is causing those valleys, and traction would be the most obvious thing...
That's a good question Mike, I don't know. They came with the car when I bought it a month or so ago. They still have a lot of tread left on them, but I had the same concerns as you're pointing out with those peaks and valleys. Not sure I'm ready to put new tires on it yet though.