Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max Battery Power Missing - Firmware 2019.8.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Launch mode should still work even before the battery has fully heated.
I tried multiple times to put it in Launch Mode prior to putting it in "max battery" mode and wasn't able to get it to display "Launch Mode Enabled". Was this operator error and I simply didn't try enough times? I thought I read somewhere on the forums and via Google (to confirm after reading here) that you weren't able to access Launch Mode prior to seeing the "Ready!" under the Max Power menu option.

I tried multiple times to put it in Launch Mode prior to putting it in "max battery" mode and wasn't able to get it to display "Launch Mode Enabled". Was this operator error and I simply didn't try enough times? I thought I read somewhere on the forums and via Google (to confirm after reading here) that you weren't able to access Launch Mode prior to seeing the "Ready!" under the Max Power menu option.
You still have to put it into max battery mode, but you shouldn't have to wait for the pack to heat fully before launching.

Reactions: Daddy S
You still have to put it into max battery mode, but you shouldn't have to wait for the pack to heat fully before launching.
I tried this too and was also unsuccessful. I was able to put it in Launch Mode first time just about every time though once it was ready which lead me to believe it not only had to be enabled but complete to access Launch Mode. Like I said, I think I read as much online too so if you can confirm this works first hand feel free to post as such. Since the software update I can't confirm either way currently so unless they fix this it may be a moot point anyway.

first was the hp thing
then the WOT counts
then the battery versions
now this...

Just being clear, that's not what you said before and list, which is all true, is not characterized by your previous statement that power is being reduced every year which expresses an accumulation of acts Tesla has perpetrated to reduce the power each year from the the previous year.

With the exception of reduced power due to battery degradation, all P cars released produce the same amount of power they always have.

Well it still works fine for me...obviously.
I've never seen launch mode work without max power enabled (on a P85DL). It instead gives the 'both pedals pressed' message on the instrument cluster. Do you know something that we don't?

From the manual:
To Activate Launch Mode
Before activating Launch Mode, it is recommended that the brakes are slightly warm by driving for a few minutes and using the brakes a few times.
1. Set the acceleration level to Insane or Ludicrous and enable Max Battery Power (see Controls on page 104).
2. With Model X shifted into Drive and at a complete stop with the steering wheel straight, fully press the brake pedal with your left foot.
3. While still pressing the brake with your left foot, fully press the accelerator pedal with your right foot, then release the accelerator pedal. The instrument panel displays a message indicating that Launch Mode is enabled.
4. Within eight seconds, fully press the accelerator pedal a second time to pre- load motor torque, then within four seconds, release the brake.
When you release the brake, Model X launches forward.

Reactions: Daddy S
I've never seen launch mode work without max power enabled (on a P85DL). It instead gives the 'both pedals pressed' message on the instrument cluster. Do you know something that we don't?

From the manual:
To Activate Launch Mode
Before activating Launch Mode, it is recommended that the brakes are slightly warm by driving for a few minutes and using the brakes a few times.
1. Set the acceleration level to Insane or Ludicrous and enable Max Battery Power (see Controls on page 104).
2. With Model X shifted into Drive and at a complete stop with the steering wheel straight, fully press the brake pedal with your left foot.
3. While still pressing the brake with your left foot, fully press the accelerator pedal with your right foot, then release the accelerator pedal. The instrument panel displays a message indicating that Launch Mode is enabled.
4. Within eight seconds, fully press the accelerator pedal a second time to pre- load motor torque, then within four seconds, release the brake.
When you release the brake, Model X launches forward.

Right. I use it so rarely I forgot you actually need that step. It's sad that I have it but don't need it but it's broken for everyone else that wants it :(

Right. I use it so rarely I forgot you actually need that step. It's sad that I have it but don't need it but it's broken for everyone else that wants it :(
Yeah, the battery heating / launch mode is very handy for autocross or other events where you need the pack to be warm at the start of a lap. a cold pack is more sluggish, and available power noticeably falls off below ~30C.

Yeah, the battery heating / launch mode is very handy for autocross or other events where you need the pack to be warm at the start of a lap. a cold pack is more sluggish, and available power noticeably falls off below ~30C.

I'd just like to be able to turn it on from my phone when I'm skiing so that I don't waste energy on brakes when driving down the hill for the first 10 miles without regen because the pack is too cold.

Hi guys I'm new here but wanted to get any feedback on if anyone was able to roll their software back through a service center? Really don't like that we lost launch mode and Max battery and there's no ETA for a fix. Thanks!

People can’t even get an appointment with Service Centers for critical issues in a timely manner.

No way they are rolling back firmware updates on a skeleton crew.

I've read that many times and I guess I'm glad I work near Fremont because I've never made an appointment that took longer than 2 days to get in.
I just came from Fremont SC and my good pal there that usually works on my car asked his lead tech to do it. He said no. Then he made a call to his friend in engineering and they gave him a firm no. Apparently people will get fired if they do it?S I guess that's that.

Roll back the software

Ahh. Was wondering why you quoted me when I was talking about service appointment waits.

I don't think you're going to get Tesla to roll back the software. You can get them to remove you from staging so you don't get new software which they offered me when I told them 17K miles ago at the last visit that I was unlikely to install v9.

I'll stay on v8 as long as stuff continues to work and services aren't broken with incompatible REST API protocol updates to the service.