Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Maximum Battery Charge Level Reduced" message behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Family,
Something weird, but I'm sure someone here knows the answer. I have a 2012 Tesla Model S P85 with 180k miles. For the most part, I've been sinking a great deal of $ for service, but love the car. It still rides great and functions as it should. However, after the Tesla mobile service replaced my 12v battery replaced after it died on my unexpectantly without any warning, I now get the "maximum battery charge level" message but here is the thing. Its sporadic. Sometimes I can trigger this message by going up a sharp hill and a few minutes later, it goes away. When the message is active, I can't charge past 70 miles. When it goes away, I can charge it fully.

Is this normal? Could it be a short or bad connection? Or is it simply time to get rid of the car?

Thanks Everyone!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 8.33.17 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 8.33.17 AM.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 401
  • Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 8.35.39 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 8.35.39 AM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 189
Tesla Family,
Something weird, but I'm sure someone here knows the answer. I have a 2012 Tesla Model S P85 with 180k miles. For the most part, I've been sinking a great deal of $ for service, but love the car. It still rides great and functions as it should. However, after the Tesla mobile service replaced my 12v battery replaced after it died on my unexpectantly without any warning, I now get the "maximum battery charge level" message but here is the thing. Its sporadic. Sometimes I can trigger this message by going up a sharp hill and a few minutes later, it goes away. When the message is active, I can't charge past 70 miles. When it goes away, I can charge it fully.

Is this normal? Could it be a short or bad connection? Or is it simply time to get rid of the car?

Thanks Everyone!
Wow, that’s a beautiful car!

Are you able to check the mobile tech's work? Maybe he undid something and didn't tighten it back properly? Something may just be loose? Something was tripped over during the install?

I'm not blaming the tech and it may be worth a check.

If dry weather seems to help then it's a good sign the charge port may be shorting, taillight needs to be removed to check it. If water is trapped in the battery then it's smarter to replace it due to age.
If there's an independent EV garage in your area they might help but only temporarily and without much of a warranty.

You guys wouldn't believe how I solved the issue..... It was PUMP 2. It failed. After replacing the pump, the car has been operating like a dream. Go figure.......
Thanks for the update. Who diagnosed the solution? Your Tesla Service Center?

Also, to be clear for the members of Tesla BMS_u029/BMS_u018 | Facebook did you get either the BMS_u029 or BMS_u018 alert? In your post #6 you seem to say yes.

You guys wouldn't believe how I solved the issue..... It was PUMP 2. It failed. After replacing the pump, the car has been operating like a dream. Go figure.......

So the car wasn't able to confirm that it could warm up the battery properly therefore it limited charging to 70 miles max. When the pump was working, the car was able to confirm it could warm the battery then all was good.

Is this correct?

Sorry about the delay.... I learned about the Pump 2 replacement from a well respected guy who lives in Pensacola FL who I consider to be the most knowledgeable Tesla guru who never worked at Tesla. He jumped on the Tesla wave really early and owns every model including a few non-Tesla electric vehicles.

Although it was listed as a fault, he threw out this issue well before I sent him an image of the error log.

@dwbv - You are correct.

@NV Ray - The guy in Pensacola FL told me to check for the error. Tesla service center immediately said that I needed to replace the battery even after reviewing the vehicle after taking it in. :-(

@Kdewalt10 - For my vehicle, after removing the frunk lining, it was the pump found in the center of the vehicle. After cutting the power, it took less than 15 minutes to replace.

@maximizese - The same as mentioned above. The contact in Florida told me to look for the fault while in Service Mode.

To all of you who've responded and commented, I wish that one day I could put together a gathering and treat you guys. All of you are amazing and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.