Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum battery charge level reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got this error message last week, car charge complete about 45miles range. I leave the car site for couple days while waiting for mobile service. But this morning I get in the car, the error message was gone, I bring the car to supercharge And it charging normally(I have 2013 p85+). Seems I got no luck for battery replacement.

Did you happen to take a picture of the message? My message went away but they didn’t question me and replaced my battery. It wouldn’t hurt to schedule an appointment and show them the picture message. If they ask, just say it went away but you are concerned it will pop up again then you will be compromised with limited miles if you are taking a trip.

Did you happen to take a picture of the message? My message went away but they didn’t question me and replaced my battery. It wouldn’t hurt to schedule an appointment and show them the picture message. If they ask, just say it went away but you are concerned it will pop up again then you will be compromised with limited miles if you are taking a trip.
thanks a lot!Yes I did take a pictur. And its pop up again last night and disappeared this morning. Such a bizarre.

Just got my P85DL back after three weeks at the service center. Had the same error messages, «Max battery charge level reduced» and the car had dropped 200kms over night.

My original 85 pack was pretty healthy before the breakdown with nominal capacity at 77.3kWh. When the battery failed I had 37.9kWh, seems like half the battery died on me. I was able to drive to the service center and drop of the car.

Due to my pack having been upgraded to Ludicrous, which there are not too many of in the market, I was given an upgrade to 90. A little in doubt if this pack is brand new, PN is 1088792-00-A, it show me that it has only had 25.7kWh of charge since new indicating a new pack. However nominal capacity is a little low at 82.9kWh.

Will have to run it through a few cycles to see what is going on, it might have gotten a new BMS with no history of previous usage. Any ways I have approx 4% more range now than what I had in march 2015 when I got the car.

Attachments

• 753D34A2-BCD0-4984-B26F-E13FC91621E0.jpeg
    753D34A2-BCD0-4984-B26F-E13FC91621E0.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 815ADD96-82F2-4861-864E-547978125586.jpeg
    815ADD96-82F2-4861-864E-547978125586.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 07E3B404-7507-4696-8A2E-1D7853E52835.jpeg
    07E3B404-7507-4696-8A2E-1D7853E52835.jpeg
    482 KB · Views: 133
Just got my P85DL back after three weeks at the service center. Had the same error messages, «Max battery charge level reduced» and the car had dropped 200kms over night.

My original 85 pack was pretty healthy before the breakdown with nominal capacity at 77.3kWh. When the battery failed I had 37.9kWh, seems like half the battery died on me. I was able to drive to the service center and drop of the car.

Due to my pack having been upgraded to Ludicrous, which there are not too many of in the market, I was given an upgrade to 90. A little in doubt if this pack is brand new, PN is 1088792-00-A, it show me that it has only had 25.7kWh of charge since new indicating a new pack. However nominal capacity is a little low at 82.9kWh.

Will have to run it through a few cycles to see what is going on, it might have gotten a new BMS with no history of previous usage. Any ways I have approx 4% more range now than what I had in march 2015 when I got the car.
The nominal capacity of the 90 kWh pack you received is well above the nominal capacity of the defective 85 kWh pack. You got better than what Tesla warrants.

Just received the message on my 60.. i have 97k miles. Really hoping this gets swapped with no issues.
Currently will only charge to 38 miles.

more background for others in a 2013. I typically ran my battery between 70 miles and 170. But last weekend i drove to the airport.. left my car there, then a few days later drove home. This had my battery down to 35 miles. Next day, drove to a super charger @ 12 miles left.
Somewhere between 35 - 12 miles, the notification turned on.

if you are in a 2013 with near 100k miles, you may want to run your battery down and see if it triggers something. You could get a new battery.

• Informative
Reactions: Missile Toad
Just received the message on my 60.. i have 97k miles. Really hoping this gets swapped with no issues.

more background for others in a 2013. I typically ran my battery between 70 miles and 170. But last weekend i drove to the airport.. left my car there, then a few days later drove home. This had my battery down to 35 miles. Next day, drove to a super charger @ 12 miles left.

if you are in a 2013 with near 100k miles, you may want to run your battery down and see if it triggers something. You could get a new battery.
Not likely a new battery, but a refurb that won't trigger and at least as good of range as before your trigger. Good luck!

Don't wait, take it to your closest service center immediately if you can reach it with that range. The 38 miles maximum may quickly go down. There is a fault that I am told has been fixed in the new / replacement li-ion batteries.

When this happened (P85D), my appointment was a week and a half out. However, after it dropped another 10% I called right away and they had me drop it off and set me up with a loaner. Note that the wait was for the refurb battery pack to arrive, not for service. They can diagnose it remotely, see the trigger and order the replacement. I had the loaner for at least 10 days. My Model S is my daily driver.

The good thing is that the range after replacement certainly was better than before the trigger. The difference for the new pack was that it is a 90 kWh pack. This meant that they had to replace a lot of software. It now identifies itself as a P90D (thus my sig). Good call @Electric700 !

I just received the "Maximum battery charge level reduced" message as well in my 2013 Model S 85 w/ 90,500 miles. This was 24 hours after having my car back from service for three weeks to replace the drive unit under warranty and the DC converter ($2700 out of pocket). Telsa paid to ship the car back to the same service center and I expect that it's the HV battery as well. I'll post updates.

Update! The tech reached out today and said now they have alerts that are related to the HV battery and are researching the HV battery further. They mentioned before that they didn't have the same messages and are now looking into the battery repair or swap. They immediately gave me a rental car and we're understanding. I'll post some updates once I have them.

Just got a call from the service center. A guy claiming he is ordering the battery. But not him.. he sent an email to the parts department.. so he isn’t sure if it is actually ordered..?

Then the sales department called and asked if i wanted to test drive the Y while i am there.

taking the car in in two days. Will keep you posted.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Last week battery would charge to 38 miles. Now, only 26.
I feel like i have an Apple phone, like when they limited the battery so everyone would upgrade.

after the battery swap, i am going back to a normal car. This is crazy...
So you have a 2013 Model S 60 in San Jose and likely getting a replacement battery. Other than a little inconvenient, there is no better place on earth to own a Tesla.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I disagree. Two reasons.

1) The worry is, they just shut the battery off. I still haven’t had an explain as to why the battery stopped charging. I feel like my car is like an iPhone. They just modify the battery..

2) with the numbers, $17k for a replacement battery. My Tesla has 96k. And the battery failed. That’s not very good... This isn’t worth it to me. I’d rather own a ICE that can go north of 150k miles.

If battery cost were less... it would be a different story.