Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum battery charge level reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. Two reasons.

1) The worry is, they just shut the battery off. I still haven’t had an explain as to why the battery stopped charging. I feel like my car is like an iPhone. They just modify the battery..

2) with the numbers, $17k for a replacement battery. My Tesla has 96k. And the battery failed. That’s not very good... This isn’t worth it to me. I’d rather own a ICE that can go north of 150k miles.

If battery cost were less... it would be a different story.

For #1, the safety, I strongly believe.
For #2, I totally agree. Not worth it.

Just picked up my car... it had 40miles range.. so i am charging at the dealer.
Just noticed a massive bubble on the center of my screen that was not there when i dropped the car off. Going to ask them What happened.

not sure if there is anything you can do. But frustrating there is a big bubble on my screen now

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
CF30861F-6658-48EC-99C1-33097864FCB5.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Just picked up my car... it had 40miles range.. so i am charging at the dealer.
Just noticed a massive bubble on the center of my screen that was not there when i dropped the car off. Going to ask them What happened.

not sure if there is anything you can do. But frustrating there is a big bubble on my screen now
That's what I was referring to when I said the best place to have an issue... you are in Silicon Valley with a bad battery, but your battery is under warranty. A 3 day turnaround likely would only happen in California, perhaps only in Silicon Valley.

Replace the screen for $500? Heck yeah. Even if you were to go back to a gas car, $500 is worth the increase in value to sell the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dreaminofsurf
Update*

Spoke with the service center and after filing a compliant with customer service for lack of response or transparency for my vehicle, the battery pack I'm getting is: 1088815-01-D

Does anyone have any experience with this particular pack? It appears to be a later version of the 85kwh pack that's remanufactured.

Update*

Spoke with the service center and after filing a compliant with customer service for lack of response or transparency for my vehicle, the battery pack I'm getting is: 1088815-01-D

Does anyone have any experience with this particular pack? It appears to be a later version of the 85kwh pack that's remanufactured.

Regardless of the pack version, it should have the fix to prevent the Maximum Battery Charge Level Reduced error.

Thanks everyone for sharing about your experiences with this issue. I just received the error today on my 2014 P85+ w/ 63k miles. I scheduled a mobile service appointment for 3/19 and hope Tesla decides to replace with the 90kwh battery like they have for some others. I've had this car just over a year after purchasing used from Tesla and have never got the range that it was rated at. Hoping this might fix that too so I could take it on a road trip.

I had contacted Tesla about the airbag and memory recalls and they said I would be contacted but should make sure my software was on 2020.48.12 or newer but mine was showing 2020.24.6.11 and I don't remember getting an update for quite some time. To force the software update they told me to reboot the screen by holding down the scroll buttons and powering off the car through safety and security menu. After restarting the car with the brake is when the "Maximum Battery Charge Level Reduced" error began to display.

Current battery part number 1014114-00-D

Attachments

• PXL_20210314_191342121.jpg
    PXL_20210314_191342121.jpg
    758.9 KB · Views: 108
  • PXL_20210314_222654546.jpg
    PXL_20210314_222654546.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 80
  • PXL_20210314_222811402.jpg
    PXL_20210314_222811402.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 70
  • PXL_20210314_222835945.jpg
    PXL_20210314_222835945.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20210314_223027206.jpg
    PXL_20210314_223027206.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 73
  • PXL_20210314_224154004.jpg
    PXL_20210314_224154004.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 132
Reactions: gmo43 and Greenms60
One thing all should do is to have good records of the state of the old battery.

Of course, if you tell them you have SMT or Teslafi, they won't accept that, might even blame the apps for the failure!

One trick is to use the Tesla data. In your account section, there is a record of the KW added at every charge.

If you can show a recent SuC of xx Kw corresponded to a given percentage added, they can't argue with that...OK, they will, but maybe not for long.

One thing all should do is to have good records of the state of the old battery.

Of course, if you tell them you have SMT or Teslafi, they won't accept that, might even blame the apps for the failure!

One trick is to use the Tesla data. In your account section, there is a record of the KW added at every charge.

If you can show a recent SuC of xx Kw corresponded to a given percentage added, they can't argue with that...OK, they will, but maybe not for long.
Hold on, where can I find this info?

Hold on, where can I find this info?
First, not easy to find. Been in the Tesla community 3 years and just ran across it this week..I will use the excuse I never thought to check because I have FUSC.

Go to your Tesla account, log in..

Select history

You will see all your SuC activity since you bought the car, regardless of whether you have FUSC or not.

In December 2018, in halcyon days when I could not imagine the 'gates, I added 47 KwH, 27 to 87 % SoC in 45ish min, no less, per Teslafi.

So doing the math, that should be about 47/0.60=78.3KwH.

Leaning over the shoulder of a mobile tech recently, I saw ToolBox shows my EPA consumption is 290Wh. Yes, I got a pic of that.

So, 78.3/0.290=270RM. This agrees with my display and Teslafi at the time to within a mile or so.

To document the SoC, take a pic each time you charge,if you think you pack is dodgy.

Hope this is useful.

• Helpful
Reactions: TonyT

Select history

You will see all your SuC activity since you bought the car, regardless of whether you have FUSC or not.

Hi!
The only entries I can find there are related to "Idle Fee", no other charging session since I've purchased my S 85 in November 2015 from Tesla with FUSC. Maybe this is related to the region?
Over the course of my usage I looked into the "History" some times, just to be sure not to miss anything I just logged in and checked, nothing else than idle fees.

Actually, I recall to ask how to see a history of SuC charging sessions in order to calculate total usage for tax purposes Tesla Support stated, that there are no such data, only for a limited amount of time for diagnostic but everything older will be de-personalized. IMHO the lack thereof and additional metrics was the cause of services like smt, teslafi or teslalog (R.I.P.) being developed.

BR! Oaito.

First, not easy to find. Been in the Tesla community 3 years and just ran across it this week..I will use the excuse I never thought to check because I have FUSC.

Select history

In December 2018, in halcyon days when I could not imagine the 'gates, I added 47 KwH, 27 to 87 % SoC in 45ish min, no less, per Teslafi.

So doing the math, that should be about 47/0.60=78.3KwH.

Leaning over the shoulder of a mobile tech recently, I saw ToolBox shows my EPA consumption is 290Wh. Yes, I got a pic of that.

So, 78.3/0.290=270RM. This agrees with my display and Teslafi at the time to within a mile or so.

To document the SoC, take a pic each time you charge,if you think you pack is dodgy.

Hope this is useful.
Funny it doesn't let me down load anything before 2017.... Thanks for the info.