Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum battery charge level reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got this error message two days ago and my appointment in the service center is in two weeks. I tried to charge it with a SOC of 65% but it didn't start. Up too which percentage can I charge the vehicle? Tesla wouldn't tell me.

I got this error message two days ago and my appointment in the service center is in two weeks. I tried to charge it with a SOC of 65% but it didn't start. Up too which percentage can I charge the vehicle? Tesla wouldn't tell me.
I strongly recommend you take it to Tesla immediately since the maximum charge level can quickly go down. As soon as they can, they will look at your car.

There's a new main li-ion battery version that should resolve this issue.

Reactions: Hamen
I strongly recommend you take it to Tesla immediately since the maximum charge level can quickly go down. As soon as they can, they will look at your car.

There's a new main li-ion battery version that should resolve this issue.
I absolutely agree. You cannot count on going anywhere any AND getting back. If it could leave you stranded, why drive it. This is on Tesla. The same thing happened to me. When I called the Service Center, they understood. I had a loaner for two weeks while my refurb battery was delivered and installed.
The refurb battery has been great. Likely a 90kWh pack (the car is now labeled on screens as a P90D, externally still a P85D) capped to only 243 miles of range - higher than the original just before failure. After a year, zero degradation. My charge rate is no longer capped.

I absolutely agree. You cannot count on going anywhere any AND getting back. If it could leave you stranded, why drive it. This is on Tesla. The same thing happened to me. When I called the Service Center, they understood. I had a loaner for two weeks while my refurb battery was delivered and installed.
The refurb battery has been great. Likely a 90kWh pack (the car is now labeled on screens as a P90D, externally still a P85D) capped to only 243 miles of range - higher than the original just before failure. After a year, zero degradation. My charge rate is no longer capped.
Damn, I wish I had mine done when and where you had yours. I got a refurb 85kWh for my P85D, and it is still charge-gated.

Some I’d read about got a 350V 85kW (IIRC - might have been 90kW) battery pack that got MORE range than when their cars were new. And I was envious of them!
My P90DL just got a replacement HV 90kWh pack and shows 283 miles at 100% and the car was rated at 270 EPA when brand new. I had a nice conversation with someone behind the scenes who knows WAY more about these things than myself and he explained that it was likely 100hp down at peak but it honestly feels faster now than ever and I've owned this one since the start of the year and it felt faster than my previous two P85D (obv) and P85DL+ as well.

My P90DL just got a replacement HV 90kWh pack and shows 283 miles at 100% and the car was rated at 270 EPA when brand new. I had a nice conversation with someone behind the scenes who knows WAY more about these things than myself and he explained that it was likely 100hp down at peak but it honestly feels faster now than ever and I've owned this one since the start of the year and it felt faster than my previous two P85D (obv) and P85DL+ as well.
Nice. Can you provide some details like what's your previous battery version, what's the issue for replacement and what's your new battery version?

How much does this repair cost out of warranty? The car I'm looking at getting has almost 200k miles and wont charge past 40 or so miles.
Here is a recent post from @wk057 on the cost at his shop to replace the battery:

The average cost of getting an 85 pack replaced at 057 Tech has been around $5,500 including labor.

Tesla charges $16k to $23k for the same, and they still keep your core pack.

Obviously we retain the core pack as well, but our business model allows us to do this whole process cheaper than Tesla (or anyone else for that matter) by only charging the customer for what can't be salvaged (which is usually a few water-ingress-damaged modules on early 85s) and charging for the difference plus reasonable labor.

The Tesla packs are not generally repairable, contrary to popular belief... so don't fall for that type of stuff. This type of full replacement setup is almost always the best option for folks out of warranty since you get an unmodified fully tested replacement pack.

We can also arrange for shipping to and from our shop.

Contact my crew at 057tech.com/contact for more info!

Hey can anyone tell me how close I am to getting this popup? I have 117k miles on the odo. Pack is an A series 85 pack, original, car is a 2013 P85+. Cell diff is >0.1v at standstill @ 7% SOC. Max range is 218 @ 100% SOC, scan my tesla says 66.3 kWh for the nominal full pack. Supercharge peaks at 81kw.
Yo2.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Hey can anyone tell me how close I am to getting this popup? I have 117k miles on the odo. Pack is an A series 85 pack, original, car is a 2013 P85+. Cell diff is >0.1v at standstill @ 7% SOC. Max range is 218 @ 100% SOC, scan my tesla says 66.3 kWh for the nominal full pack. Supercharge peaks at 81kw.View attachment 719026

Tesla has change the battery management a ton to squeeze a lot more out of older batteries that would have thrown alerts with older software. The range, power, charging speed, and active temperature management which dramatically increases standby power consumption is very likely making batterie safer and lasting longer at the expense of power, range, and supercharging speed.

I had two alerts that normally resulted in a battery replacement when I was still on v8. Their answer was they no longer replace batteries for those conditions and when I updated to v10, the errors would go away.....which they did when I had the MCU2 upgrade....and now my charging speed which was KW+SOC=130 before the upgrade is was 110 the very next day.