Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maybe March Delivery is not a good thing..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So there is talk of more options coming to the Y down the road. I was just thinking; is being one of the first to take a Y a bad thing? Will it be missing a lot of potential options that we could get if we waited a year? Thoughts?

I shall save you the effort, as a year 1 Model 3 owner: yes. You will miss new things that will come out in the year after you take delivery. And someone taking delivery in a year will miss new things coming out in the year after they take delivery. Ad infinitum.

The two best times to buy a Tesla are today and never. The only thing you control is how much time you deprive yourself of driving a Tesla before you buy one.

lol I've heard this from people for the last 3 years. Tesla is constantly improving their tech, options, features, etc.

If you wait another few months, you might be tempted by the plaid powertrain. Another few months, maybe the new battery tech. Another few months, new powertrain / suspension / interior improvements, etc. etc.

• Funny
Reactions: LasVegas2019
So there is talk of more options coming to the Y down the road. I was just thinking; is being one of the first to take a Y a bad thing? Will it be missing a lot of potential options that we could get if we waited a year? Thoughts?
As an early Model S owner who got invited to take my Y delivery in March: I waited. The first examples always have issues, even though they tried to share a lot with the 3, and in this case there’s additional pressure to plow through as many as possible before the end of the quarter. The cutoff date was March 31st, EOQ. So you have all the downsides of a new model, plus all the downsides of their EOQ pushes.

I want to get my Y soon, but I don’t envy those taking delivery in March.

So there is talk of more options coming to the Y down the road. I was just thinking;
is being one of the first to take a Y a bad thing? Will it be missing a lot of potential options that we could get if we waited a year?
Thoughts?
What is unknown so far is getting a two hitch option for the US.
This will be a key factor for making a decision in may case.
I assume that the Europe version will have this option

Coming option will be the 7 seats.

What other options are you expecting, beside always the possibility of Maxwell batteries.

The adaptive suspension might be another possibility.

Last edited:
As an early Model S owner who got invited to take my Y delivery in March: I waited. The first examples always have issues, even though they tried to share a lot with the 3, and in this case there’s additional pressure to plow through as many as possible before the end of the quarter. The cutoff date was March 31st, EOQ. So you have all the downsides of a new model, plus all the downsides of their EOQ pushes.

I want to get my Y soon, but I don’t envy those taking delivery in March.
As someone who got Model 3 VIN 138x in December 2017, I can tell you that it's been damn near perfect - overspray on the windows and bent chrome trim were the only issues, and taken care of by the SvC in one visit.

I agree that waiting just deprives you of driving the car. But, please do defer your order. Mine will come that much sooner. :D

When I first entered the computer industry in 1980 a seasoned systems engineer told me never to install anything that was not on it's third release. Sage advice.

But I can tell you that I thoroughly enjoy our very early production Model X, and would probably still have gotten it then knowing what I know now. For the features I need and want my car fills them as good as or better than the new ones.

I shall save you the effort, as a year 1 Model 3 owner: yes. You will miss new things that will come out in the year after you take delivery. And someone taking delivery in a year will miss new things coming out in the year after they take delivery. Ad infinitum.

The two best times to buy a Tesla are today and never. The only thing you control is how much time you deprive yourself of driving a Tesla before you buy one.

this is the classic "should I stay or should I go"/ living in the moment vs future debate.

What is unknown so far is getting a two hitch option for the US.
This will be a key factor for making a decision in may case.
I assume that the Europe version will have this option

Coming option will be the 7 seats.

What other options are you expecting, beside always the possibility of Maxwell batteries.

The adaptive suspension might be another possibility.

Track pack!