Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maybe the paranoid amongst us were right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Musk wanted to spy on all of us using the cameras that are meant to be checking how attentive we are

I mean, why not.

We use dashcams to record the outside world to show who was at fault, this is just the other side, the car recording you to show that you were using it properly. If a driver is not paying attention, not respecting the rules, why would they win lawsuits.

Take Tesla out of this for a minute.

If someone is suing you or your company, and you have footage proofing they are lying. You’re suggesting you would ignore the footage that proves they are lying, and allow them to take you for a financial ride. … ? Come on.

I think his intent certainly is and was to only use this for attentive driving purposes, but it will obviously serve both purposes if the later is needed.
Plus stating he is spying on us, is clearly misleading and hyperbole; right. ;)

Based on the comments so far and where those people are based, albeit on a really small sample, I think we can see a global difference on attitudes to privacy

If the car said ‘your driving is being monitored and can be used as evidence against you’ then fair enough, but a lot of people wouldn’t buy the car. Capturing and then using the footage in a clandestine way is, as far as I can tell, illegal in Europe (and this is a UK subforum). We’ve heard stories of Tesla staff sharing footage of people in their cars, so even if it were legal for specific purposes, the governance and controls around access and use also need to be water tight which it appears not to be.

If Tesla can use the footage to defend themselves, why can’t the police have access and if you break the speed limit or cause any motoring violation automatically just prosecute? The car could report you to the police. Where’s the line?

I absolutely understand why Tesla might want to defend themselves using footage, but the implications and obligations in capturing footage go much further than it being a purely selfish activity on their part.

So Musk wanted to spy on all of us using the cameras that are meant to be checking how attentive we are

Who cares? If Musk is spying on me, he’s watching some boring video.

Assuming you had an accident, someone would need to physically get that info from the car. I don’t think it uploads via your internet access?

If someone is watching a movie, reading a book, or sleeping while trusting the autopilot to make all driving decisions. Tesla has the right to defend themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: M109Rider
Status
Not open for further replies.