Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 infotainment upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I am a new owner of a used model x pre oct 2016 build( I think I have HW 2.0 no self drive capability,) does any one know if Tesla is taking appointments for the upgrade for this version?
Hw2.0 came out Oct 2016- so if your car was pre-Oct 2016 then you have hw1.0. You can check by going to your car's Software page and clicking on Additional Vehicle Information

Hello Everyone,

I am a new owner of a used model x pre oct 2016 build( I think I have HW 2.0 no self drive capability,) does any one know if Tesla is taking appointments for the upgrade for this version?
As quickstrike12 and Bmac mentioned above, you can check out your configuration by going to Software and then "additional vehicle information".

Zanary's post above indicates that the official Tesla line is that they are not scheduling HW 2.0 vehicles until later this month, and then only for those who purchased Full Self Driving. However, there is one person in Hawaii (Honolulu SC just completed my MCU2 Upgrade) who somehow managed to get it done on his HW 2.0 Model S, but he also had purchased FSD and had the HW upgrade to 3.0 done at the same time as this MCU upgrade.

As quickstrike12 and Bmac mentioned above, you can check out your configuration by going to Software and then "additional vehicle information".

Zanary's post above indicates that the official Tesla line is that they are not scheduling HW 2.0 vehicles until later this month, and then only for those who purchased Full Self Driving. However, there is one person in Hawaii (Honolulu SC just completed my MCU2 Upgrade) who somehow managed to get it done on his HW 2.0 Model S, but he also had purchased FSD and had the HW upgrade to 3.0 done at the same time as this MCU upgrade.

I think he's the only MCU1/HW2/FSD Pre-paid to get it done which is pretty cool. While I got it done on my Model S with MCU1/AP2.5/FSD Pre-purchased already (Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500), my other 2016 Model X with MCU1/AP2/FSD Pre-purchase is not yet showing that it's available.

The link now shows they pushed it out to end of April.
Infotainment Upgrade

I just had my September 2017 Model X with MCU1, AP2.5, FSD upgraded to MCU2/AP3 last Friday. Tysons, Virginia service center. Maybe your SC doesn't have the same parts availability. I believe Akikiki is having his Model S with AP2.0 done in Hawaii today, so I think it's more SC-dependent than their standard claim of "not yet eligible".
Hi. I have a September 2017 Model S with MCU1, AP2.5, FSD. Did you ask for them to upgrade you from 2.5 to 3.0 or did they do that automatically with the $2500 upgrade?

Hi. I have a September 2017 Model S with MCU1, AP2.5, FSD. Did you ask for them to upgrade you from 2.5 to 3.0 or did they do that automatically with the $2500 upgrade?
I did include that in the notes when I scheduled it in the app, but I think they would have done it automatically anyway since eliminating the MCU1 bypasses the current roadblock to upgrading MCU1/HW2.5 cars to HW3. Our local SC has been doing HW2.5 to HW 3.0 upgrades for almost six months now.

Does anyone have an update on this? I have a 2014 Model S P85D, and my MCU has been dead since early March. I have been holding off getting it fixed because I want to wait for the upgrade. It is now July and there is still no word on the upgrade for 1st gen AP.

Does anyone have an update on this? I have a 2014 Model S P85D, and my MCU has been dead since early March. I have been holding off getting it fixed because I want to wait for the upgrade. It is now July and there is still no word on the upgrade for 1st gen AP.

You will be waiting a while. Might be better off getting emmc replaced by tonyt

I would recommend every 2 or 3 weeks submit a new service ticket via the app and say that you want to purchase the Infotainment Upgrade for your vehicle. When they triage the ticket, they will confirm if your VIN is up for the upgrade or not.