Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 performance improvement & browser improvement. Simple trick by Thomas The Tesla Tuner..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- Honestly, I have never had the need to turn on/off the headlights of my Tesla. It's on automatic. Any reason the manual setting along with a manual button is better?
- The touchscreen might be dangerous if it's designed to operate as such, but not necessarily so. The currently required extra clicks has obvious adverse safety factors but an intuitive and an easy to function UI is no more dangerous than using the manual buttons. Don't you think?
The lights don't always go on when it's grey outside (maybe that feature is broken, who knows). There are other function that the driver needs to do while looking at the bottom of the screen, like turning on heated seats for passengers on the back, launching the phone app, etc. - all take longer than a quick glance at a text message on a phone, which is a proven cause of accidents.

- Many car manufacturers ship unfinished products. The OTA feature is a great idea if it goes through a decent QA, which is often lacking (which, as you correctly have stated, includes being forced to apply a code update designed for the faster processors).
On my wife's 2017 car it took over 6 months to get it to turn on the lights automatically, longer for automatic wipers to start. I got sold on blind spot monitoring, 691hp and other stuff for my 2015 Model S which was supposed to come over OTA but which will never come. You say many manufacturers ship unfinished cars, like who? Really, who? Considering there are very few auto manufacturers in the world, many would mean most I guess. Example of such cars would be appreciated.

The lights don't always go on when it's grey outside (maybe that feature is broken, who knows). There are other function that the driver needs to do while looking at the bottom of the screen, like turning on heated seats for passengers on the back, launching the phone app, etc. - all take longer than a quick glance at a text message on a phone, which is a proven cause of accidents.

On my wife's 2017 car it took over 6 months to get it to turn on the lights automatically, longer for automatic wipers to start. I got sold on blind spot monitoring, 691hp and other stuff for my 2015 Model S which was supposed to come over OTA but which will never come. You say many manufacturers ship unfinished cars, like who? Really, who? Considering there are very few auto manufacturers in the world, many would mean most I guess. Example of such cars would be appreciated.

Your earlier post stated "Stay away from cars which require over-the-air updates - allows the manufacturer to ship unfinished product".

May be then I did not fully understand what you meant by the word "unfinished".

Your earlier post stated "Stay away from cars which require over-the-air updates - allows the manufacturer to ship unfinished product".

May be then I did not fully understand what you meant by the word "unfinished".
By unfinished means it doesn't work well or at all on delivery day, and won't work until some future over the air update with no deadlines backed by some guarantee (like money back if we can't make it work in 2 years, or even extending bumper to bumper warranty until all paid for features are complete). Also, I should get the paid for features without having to accept new features or lack thereof (like updates which break with updates, such as browser).

Last edited:
(snip)QA might primarily be Elon driving to work. If Elon doesn't see it on his morning commute...(snip)
I tend to believe this could (at least partially) be true.

Explains how broken stuff can happen on older cars and never be noticed until the collective howl of the wolves gets deafening.

I’m looking at YOU, Broken Launch Mode and Broken Max Battery. Funny how it only affects P85D and P90D but P100Ds function perfectly. I doubt Elon has driven one of those since the P100D was released almost three years ago.

Sorry man, the issues get old after a while because they keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again. So I couldn't disagree more. OTA software updates encourages buggy software, that's life now.

They don't though. You didn't get my point. Both my 2 Ford's and a VW had buggy software.... but they also had no way (or desire) to correct it. I agree that Tesla seems to rush updates out without thorough testing, but at least they're willing to support and correct most of the cars they have on the road versus their competition. The OTA updates don't encourage buggy software, that exists regardless.

You say many manufacturers ship unfinished cars, like who? Really, who? Considering there are very few auto manufacturers in the world, many would mean most I guess. Example of such cars would be appreciated.

You may have missed my examples upthread. My wife's VW had the dreaded RNS-510 stereo. Go to VWVortex forum and do a search for RNS-510 and you'll see how flipping terrible the thing was. Literally took about 60 seconds to change a radio station because the thing was so slow and unresponsive. I even asked them to replace the stereo with the more modern RNS radio, but unless I wanted to drop $1200 fo a new stereo, it wasn't an option. That was in a Passat TDi. Of course we all know what happened to VW's emission software... it was deliberately "buggy" to say the least.

I also had the Ford Sync v1 in my Taurus SHO. Slow, buggy, barely did what it was supposed to do. I kept asking Ford when they were going to release a software update for it (it had the capability), and they kept telling me to be patient. I had that car for 3 years, and never got the update... why? It was so terrible they had to replace it with the Sync MyFordTouch v2. So I got rid of the Taurus and got a Fusion with the MFT v2. I was excited because everywhere I read said that this time Ford was going to release regular updates with bug fixes and new features. In 3 years of owning that car, I got 1 update. It added backup lines to the rearview camera and fixed some bugs. It definitely created new bugs... mainly broke the bluetooth. They were working on the fix, but alas, never came out with it. Why? Because they decided to go a different route and develop Sync v3. They finally told me just to trade my car in for a new one.

Those are just my personal experiences. This is not limited to Tesla for sure. The main difference is that Tesla has a strong interest in improving their cars even after the sale, as well as fixing the things they break, albeit slowly.

One thing I didn’t see mentioned in this post is this same issue not only shows itself as an unusable browser, but is driving many of us crazy with skipping and stuttering streaming music. I can use the same tricks previously mentioned to get it to stop. Mainly the sketchpad is my workaround of choice. Some days the music almost useless to try and listen to.
This being covered by some other threads.

By unfinished means it doesn't work well or at all on delivery day, and won't work until some future over the air update with no deadlines backed by some guarantee (like money back if we can't make it work in 2 years, or even extending bumper to bumper warranty until all paid for features are complete). Also, I should get the paid for features without having to accept new features or lack thereof (like updates which break with updates, such as browser).

Fair enough. I took the word "unfinished" as the dictionary defines it: Not brought to the desired final state. There are about 60 car brands globally and applying that definition to the cars that these companies produce and rush to the market unfinished I'm sure one would find plenty of examples (read post #88). But I get your point in the case of Tesla with regard to the broken promises and defective software updates which is all by itself a pretty unique example.

BTW, I enjoy reading your posts :)

Last edited:
They don't though. You didn't get my point. Both my 2 Ford's and a VW had buggy software.... but they also had no way (or desire) to correct it. I agree that Tesla seems to rush updates out without thorough testing, but at least they're willing to support and correct most of the cars they have on the road versus their competition. The OTA updates don't encourage buggy software, that exists regardless.
A Lexus was never released with buggy software. Ever.

When I bought my Lexus, the salesperson demo’ed the voice command feature... He said “Set temperature to 72” and it did. He said “Dial 555-555-5555” and it did. He claimed it would import my phone contacts, and then I could dial by people’s names.

In practice, I prefer it a little cooler, so I said “Set temperature to 70” and it set the temperature to 72. Turns out they had a simple bug where it would recognize (and display) your command correctly, but always set to 72. The salesperson just knew how to demo around that bug. Easy bug to fix, but no OTA updates on that car.

The phone dialing never was able to import my contacts, so that was useless. Even worse, the Bluetooth would never switch over to a call until 2 seconds AFTER the person answered, just in time for me to hear “hello...HELLO”. I learned to initiate calls without Bluetooth, then switch over.

Not hard bugs to fix, but that Bluetooth annoyed me for a decade. OTA updates have improved my car far more than the bugs have taken away, and it seems incredibly wasteful to trade in a whole car just to get newer software.

One thing I didn’t see mentioned in this post is this same issue not only shows itself as an unusable browser, but is driving many of us crazy with skipping and stuttering streaming music. I can use the same tricks previously mentioned to get it to stop. Mainly the sketchpad is my workaround of choice. Some days the music almost useless to try and listen to.
This being covered by some other threads.
Luckily for us, Tesla being so amazingly open platform, you can just fix it yourself by adjusting audio thread priority so it is no longer preempted by the cpu-hungry traffic drawing threads and such. /s

• Funny
Reactions: croman
Whatever reasons anyone is unhappy with their purchase then sell the car and move on. We all know Tesla is a new company and they will have issues like everyone else. Be patient or sell the car and quit complaining.

Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever.

^^^ Those are various software bugs with their infotainment systems.

I personally owned a Lexus ES300 that did need the transmission reprogrammed... because... well... the factory firmware was... err... buggy.

Reactions: ahkahn
Whatever reasons anyone is unhappy with their purchase then sell the car and move on. We all know Tesla is a new company and they will have issues like everyone else. Be patient or sell the car and quit complaining.

The “no complain” trope has gotten old. I see you have 20 posts. A number of the folks complaining want Tesla to succeed and have purchased multiple cars. I for one, found this thread because I’ve noticed slacker has been skipping and/or stuttering, which seems to have gotten worse over the last 2 releases. I am on 12.1.1. Now I have some idea what is occurring and some possible strategies for trying to alleviate it. I will also “watch” the thread so I can stay abreast of any new stuff.

I have a Service appt next week and armed with this information will discuss with them and query if/when they will fix it.

You may have missed my examples upthread. My wife's VW had the dreaded RNS-510 stereo. Go to VWVortex forum and do a search for RNS-510 and you'll see how flipping terrible the thing was. Literally took about 60 seconds to change a radio station because the thing was so slow and unresponsive. I even asked them to replace the stereo with the more modern RNS radio, but unless I wanted to drop $1200 fo a new stereo, it wasn't an option. That was in a Passat TDi. Of course we all know what happened to VW's emission software... it was deliberately "buggy" to say the least.

I also had the Ford Sync v1 in my Taurus SHO. Slow, buggy, barely did what it was supposed to do. I kept asking Ford when they were going to release a software update for it (it had the capability), and they kept telling me to be patient. I had that car for 3 years, and never got the update... why? It was so terrible they had to replace it with the Sync MyFordTouch v2. So I got rid of the Taurus and got a Fusion with the MFT v2. I was excited because everywhere I read said that this time Ford was going to release regular updates with bug fixes and new features. In 3 years of owning that car, I got 1 update. It added backup lines to the rearview camera and fixed some bugs. It definitely created new bugs... mainly broke the bluetooth. They were working on the fix, but alas, never came out with it. Why? Because they decided to go a different route and develop Sync v3. They finally told me just to trade my car in for a new one.

Those are just my personal experiences. This is not limited to Tesla for sure. The main difference is that Tesla has a strong interest in improving their cars even after the sale, as well as fixing the things they break, albeit slowly.
What you are describing is just companies releasing crappy product, not selling you unfinished (or completely missing) features and telling you it's coming in an update "soon". You could see the crappy VW radio on delivery day. VW didn't tell you the radio was magically going to get better later. You could see how crappy Frod Sync was, etc, etc. With Tesla you buy features which don't exist. You might like the UI when you buy the car, then later an update screws it all up, and you have to install it - no option to keep old. That's the difference.

Reactions: supratachophobia
what's the function name in question btw? (to same me time searching for it)

Luckily for us, Tesla being so amazingly open platform, you can just fix it yourself by adjusting audio thread priority so it is no longer preempted by the cpu-hungry traffic drawing threads and such. /s

Speak for yourself :cool:.

Did op ever answer that first question to you privately? He seems to have disappeared from this thread...