Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 performance improvement & browser improvement. Simple trick by Thomas The Tesla Tuner..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the browser actually load? Im on 12.1.1 and I still just get a white screen

Yes! and if it wasn't for this thread sparking my curiosity I wouldn't even have attempted it as over the past 8 months I couldn't even get it to load the html.5 page, or any page for that matter. I just gave up trying the browser as it was unusable previously. I think it was on dial-up before this update....

What you are describing is just companies releasing crappy product, not selling you unfinished (or completely missing) features and telling you it's coming in an update "soon". You could see the crappy VW radio on delivery day. VW didn't tell you the radio was magically going to get better later. You could see how crappy Frod Sync was, etc, etc. With Tesla you buy features which don't exist. You might like the UI when you buy the car, then later an update screws it all up, and you have to install it - no option to keep old. That's the difference.
But ford did promise updates to the Sync system. They even have a website setup to let you download updates.

Did MCU1 cars get chromium on the 2019.16.1 release? Someone mentioned a better experience...
I doubt it. The sunspider JavaScript Benchmark still freezes on the string-tagcloud and the HTML5 test is still 320/555 in 2019.16.1. But the speedtest benchmark did come up considerably. I think maybe they fixed that traffic refresh bug. Test results here.

Ok, I'm inside (Mr Elon, please do not send an assassin ;) - The whole problem is not a lack of memory. It is caused by refresh function for traffic info, with passes processing to the main routine. It seems that somebody interpreted value of delay of a refresh to be in seconds (120, = 2 minutes), but it is in milliseconds. It eats 30% of spare MCU1 time. It tries to re-render it 6-7 times per second, with no new information (refresh period of traffic info via communication channel is set correctly).
My assumption - two differently skilled programmers did that.
Please, Tesla, correct this. Just add three zeros (120 -> 120000), recompile and send to us. And all will be ok.
Thomas
PS: Loading Tegra3 with this one passive cooler over 60% of load causes throttling. Who was a developer? Even ventilation holes, developed by engineers are covered from the bottom by shelf under the screen. No air circulation then.
Ok. Nice fix to push :)

green on Twitter

fwb7Zfo.jpg

Something doesn’t add up. The skipping stuttering streaming music seems to be the result of the CPU hogging resources from the Nav maps, just like the browser problem. This is easy to see just by scrolling the map around with your finger while listening to music or watching the maps have to zoom or reorient on a drive and the music stutters. And of course you can put the sketch pad up and all is perfectly again.
So how can the problem be corrected and help the browser without helping the music?
I’m not trying to be a smart ass I promise I just don’t understand. Plus I’m so frustrated I am at wits end with this crap.
Anyone?
Bueler?
Bueler?

Reactions: P100D_Me
Something doesn’t add up. The skipping stuttering streaming music seems to be the result of the CPU hogging resources from the Nav maps, just like the browser problem. This is easy to see just by scrolling the map around with your finger while listening to music or watching the maps have to zoom or reorient on a drive and the music stutters. And of course you can put the sketch pad up and all is perfectly again.
So how can the problem be corrected and help the browser without helping the music?
I’m not trying to be a smart ass I promise I just don’t understand. Plus I’m so frustrated I am at wits end with this crap.
Anyone?
Bueler?
Bueler?
when you scroll around - you increase the cpu use manually that preempts the priority of audio thread and you have skips.

In releases before 19.16 just having traffic display on tripled cpu usage of the display thread because it was doing needless redraws even when you did not scroll the maps around.

Now with this fixed in 19.16 the cpu pressure is less, but if you scroll around (or have dashcam recording, or other cpu heavy stuff going) it still affects the audio threads that are not run on the highest priority.

I was just about to remark that dashcam has zero affect on the music streaming problem.
And as I understand it it has nothing to do with MCU anyway. Music skips and stutters regardless of traffic being displayed or not as well.
But again all is fine when maps are not on screen at all(sketchpad)
Seems like we never had these problems until the introduction of “vector” based maps”
Could they be much more intensive on the system some how?