TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MCU1 performance improvement & browser improvement. Simple trick by Thomas The Tesla Tuner..

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Accelev, May 4, 2019.

1. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

Yes! and if it wasn't for this thread sparking my curiosity I wouldn't even have attempted it as over the past 8 months I couldn't even get it to load the html.5 page, or any page for that matter. I just gave up trying the browser as it was unusable previously. I think it was on dial-up before this update....

2. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

That's a bug that's about 6 months old. Reboot.

3. viper2ko

viper2ko Member

Reboot every 10 minutes.

• Funny x 3
    • Love x 1
  4. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Basically.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. rnortman

rnortman Member

You say this in jest (I hope), but it's almost true. Since updating to 2018.6 I've had to reboot at the beginning of at least half of all drives in order to get cruise control. Very often I get "cruise control unavailable" which is fixed by an MCU reboot.

6. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

But ford did promise updates to the Sync system. They even have a website setup to let you download updates.

7. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

Exactly my point and exactly the reason why I purchased 3 Fords on a promise for updates.

8. dannycamps

dannycamps Member

They always say to buy a car for the features it has today not for what it may get tomorrow. While Tesla appears to be an exception to this, most car manufacturers do not offer major firmware updates with new functionality.

• Like x 1
  9. whitex

whitex Active Member

Ok, it seems they did borrow a page from Elon in that one.

10. Mr.D

Mr.D Member

Did MCU1 cars get chromium on the 2019.16.1 release? Someone mentioned a better experience...

11. immolated

immolated Member

I'm still on 8.1 (2018.34.1) for many reasons, will this trick help me?

12. Krash

Krash Data Technician

I doubt it. The sunspider JavaScript Benchmark still freezes on the string-tagcloud and the HTML5 test is still 320/555 in 2019.16.1. But the speedtest benchmark did come up considerably. I think maybe they fixed that traffic refresh bug. Test results here.

13. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

Ok. Nice fix to push :)

14. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. P100D_Me

P100D_Me Member

Well that is good, maybe they do monitor social media afterall.

16. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

Something doesn’t add up. The skipping stuttering streaming music seems to be the result of the CPU hogging resources from the Nav maps, just like the browser problem. This is easy to see just by scrolling the map around with your finger while listening to music or watching the maps have to zoom or reorient on a drive and the music stutters. And of course you can put the sketch pad up and all is perfectly again.
    So how can the problem be corrected and help the browser without helping the music?
    I’m not trying to be a smart ass I promise I just don’t understand. Plus I’m so frustrated I am at wits end with this crap.
    Anyone?
    Bueler?
    Bueler?

• Like x 1
  17. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

when you scroll around - you increase the cpu use manually that preempts the priority of audio thread and you have skips.

In releases before 19.16 just having traffic display on tripled cpu usage of the display thread because it was doing needless redraws even when you did not scroll the maps around.

Now with this fixed in 19.16 the cpu pressure is less, but if you scroll around (or have dashcam recording, or other cpu heavy stuff going) it still affects the audio threads that are not run on the highest priority.

• Informative x 4
  18. Krash

Krash Data Technician

Why do you think they are not the highest priority? It isn't like autopilot runs on the MCU. What is more noticeable or critical?

19. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

I was just about to remark that dashcam has zero affect on the music streaming problem.
    And as I understand it it has nothing to do with MCU anyway. Music skips and stutters regardless of traffic being displayed or not as well.
    But again all is fine when maps are not on screen at all(sketchpad)
    Seems like we never had these problems until the introduction of “vector” based maps”
    Could they be much more intensive on the system some how?

20. kdday

kdday Member

Fart noises

• Funny x 6
    • Love x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1