Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 S Owners: Logic FOR/AGAINST Tesla's $2,500 "Infotainment Upgrade"? (Not required for FSD)

MCU1 Owners - Will you opt for the $2,500 Infotainment Upgrade?

• I DO have the FSD package but will NOT opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I DO have the FSD package and WILL opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have the FSD package and will NOT opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have, nor am planning to buy, the FSD package but I WILL opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have the FSD package and WILL opt for BOTH the Infotainment Upgrade and the FSD Upgrade.

• I prefer to KEEP my MCU1, even if it means replacing it with another MCU1.

• I DO have FSD BUT would only opt for the Infotainment Upgrade if my existing MCU1 broke.

• I do NOT have FSD BUT would only opt for the Infotainment Upgrade if my existing MCU1 broke.

• I own a S/X with MCU1 but NONE of these are applicable to me...I just want to see the results.

• I don't own a S/X with MCU1 so NONE of these are applicable to me...I just want to see the results.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the so-called "new working browser" also require access through the Tesla servers, as I understand the streaming services now do? if so, I'd want some assurance that Tesla will keep their servers running more reliably. At least every week or two, I experience several hours or a day when no streaming works, no traffic data, and no voice commands, presumably because the Tesla servers are down. This happened to me tonight, in fact. At 6 PM on my way to a meeting, I could get nothing except the FM radio, and it still was that way when i came home at 8:30 PM or so. Tesla's streaming services have been less reliable lately, in my impression. So losing FM radio would be adding insult to injury.
I have never experienced any downtime on streaming on my 2016 model S apart from when I don’t have connectivity. It always works and I do use it regularly. Is that a problem related to the newer MCU’s?

I do not understand why anyone wants to listen to FM, AM or Sirius in this day and age. I have a USB stick with thousands of songs for when the streaming service is not working. I would love to have the games, upgraded browser and video streaming options. Count me in.

Brent

I’m also a fan of the games. We bought a nice little game controller before we found out that MCU1 would not support. So it’s not just access to new games, it’s also better access to old ones. I know, some folks don’t care. It’s cool. For me it’s a thing.

S90D feb 2017

I do not understand why anyone wants to listen to FM, AM or Sirius in this day and age.
Live talk radio with a few songs thrown in. I can't remember the last time I heard a commercial. I like hearing live local news, weather, traffic, etc.

The station I listen to is not available on TuneIn since mid-2018. If Tesla would let us stream radio.com or other internet radio sites, then I wouldn't mind the lack of FM as much.

Live talk radio with a few songs thrown in. I can't remember the last time I heard a commercial. I like hearing live local news, weather, traffic, etc.

The station I listen to is not available on TuneIn since mid-2018. If Tesla would let us stream radio.com or other internet radio sites, then I wouldn't mind the lack of FM as much.

Thinking outside the box... here would be a cool project. A raspberry pi with a software defined radio (SDR) to pick up FM and a small touchscreen. Also add the ROADIE software to capture the dash cam footage.

I do not understand why anyone wants to listen to FM, AM or Sirius in this day and age. I have a USB stick with thousands of songs for when the streaming service is not working. I would love to have the games, upgraded browser and video streaming options. Count me in.

Brent
You must not be a big sports fan - most of my radio usage relates to live sorts events while in the car. You can’t get those through the streaming services available in a Tesla.

I also have a usb drive with music. Doesn’t help when I want to catch the game live in my car.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar

Brent

I listen to a lot of classical music and find that the local public radio classical station has a nice diversity, more so than I get on streaming, plus they often talk about the songs or the composers. It is a different experience than streaming. That said I do listen to streaming classical a lot as well.

Reactions: David29

Brent
There is more on FM than music and some of us want to listen to that even without cell coverage.

From a resell perspective, I wonder how much more a 2017 (for example) would sell with an upgraded MCU2 va stock MCU1 in a year or two? Would it be worth $1k more or so? I would think so.
Worth to whom? Maybe a subset of informed buyers. Unless you follow Tesla closely, you have no idea about it. Average buyers can barely tell the difference between battery sizes, which is probably one of the reasons why Tesla renamed their model like to "standard range", "long range", and "performance". People you read from on TMC are not average buyers.

Worth to whom? Maybe a subset of informed buyers. Unless you follow Tesla closely, you have no idea about it. Average buyers can barely tell the difference between battery sizes, which is probably one of the reasons why Tesla renamed their model like to "standard range", "long range", and "performance". People you read from on TMC are not average buyers.

I agress with you. I started to learn more about Tesla only after I bought my CPO.

They are also setting themselves up for a class-action lawsuit by going this route. They did not make any stipulations regarding limited functionality of FSD in older vehicles when they sold the product and if they don't deliver, I can't imagine they will have a good argument to justify it. My guess is that they will eventually be forced to make MCU1 fully compatible or provide the MCU2 upgrade to FSD vehicles without charge, and perhaps compensate MCU1 owners for lost functionality (AM/FM/SXM).
Ha, you think this is bad? They sold Level 5 autonomy to AP2.0 buyers - do you really think they will be able to get those car to reach FSD as it was sold? A brand new car will likely be cheaper than what it would take to upgrade AP2.0 to level 5 FSD (you know, the one which can drive your friends and family around, and make money for you while driving for the Tesla ride sharing network). Their only saving grace is that most if not all AP2 cars will be on the scrapped by the time Tesla has level 5 FSD.

• Funny
Reactions: tonglaji