Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 S Owners: Logic FOR/AGAINST Tesla's $2,500 "Infotainment Upgrade"? (Not required for FSD)

MCU1 Owners - Will you opt for the $2,500 Infotainment Upgrade?

• I DO have the FSD package but will NOT opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I DO have the FSD package and WILL opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have the FSD package and will NOT opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have, nor am planning to buy, the FSD package but I WILL opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have the FSD package and WILL opt for BOTH the Infotainment Upgrade and the FSD Upgrade.

• I prefer to KEEP my MCU1, even if it means replacing it with another MCU1.

• I DO have FSD BUT would only opt for the Infotainment Upgrade if my existing MCU1 broke.

• I do NOT have FSD BUT would only opt for the Infotainment Upgrade if my existing MCU1 broke.

• I own a S/X with MCU1 but NONE of these are applicable to me...I just want to see the results.

• I don't own a S/X with MCU1 so NONE of these are applicable to me...I just want to see the results.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@viper2ko caught official confirmation from TSLA earlier today that @Krash source was correct: Tesla is offering an upgrade for owners with an MCU1. Official announcement: Infotainment Upgrade | Tesla

Notable notes:
  • Infotainment Upgrade is $2,500; access is prioritized based on existing hardware (AP0 / 1 / 2 / 2.5) and FSD but will ultimately be open to all MCU1 customers
  • Infotainment Upgrade (new MCU) is SEPARATE from the FSD Upgrade (new Tesla logic board to replace the existing NVIDIA logic board)
  • Customers who already purchased FSD will NOT receive the Infotainment Upgrade as part of their FSD package. (They will, of course, receive the upgraded logic board.)
  • For ALL customers, Infotainment Upgrade ADDS or REMOVES support for:
    • adds: 5GHz Wi-Fi networks
    • adds: YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, Twitch, Caraoke, and TRAX
    • adds: Beach Buggy Racing 2, Cuphead and Stardew Valley
    • removes: AM, FM and Sirius XM
  • For FSD customers (i.e. those who have the new FSD computer), the Infotainment Upgrade ADDS support for:
    • Enhanced Driving Visualization
    • Records from all cameras for DashCam
    • Records from all cameras for Sentry
  • Infotainment Upgrade comes with Four (4) Year, Unlimited Mile Warranty (see pic below for details)
Unknowns:
  • Has Tesla fixed the yellowing screen, bubbles, melting glue, and other such defects with the Infotainment Upgrade?
  • I like my non-current firmware. Will the Infotainment Upgrade force a software upgrade? If so, to what revision?
  • My MCU1 broke and my S/X is still under the factory/extended warranty. Will Tesla replace it with the new MCU?
  • My MCU1 broke and my S/X is not under the factory/extended warranty. Can I for [reasons] opt for the old MCU1 replacement vs. the new MCU?
  • CarPlay / AndroidAuto functionaility?
Notable prior threads on the subject:

Attachments

• TSLA Parts Warranty.png
    TSLA Parts Warranty.png
    408.9 KB · Views: 221
  • Infotainment Upgrade.png
    Infotainment Upgrade.png
    291.5 KB · Views: 202
You keep mentioning logic board... Can you be more precise? Isn't' this a completely MCU replacement (screen and the boards behind it as a single unit)?
Don't know if I can. My assumption is they are replacing the entire MCU unit.

This is different then the replacement of the AP computer / logic board...that's why I posted this:

Infotainment Upgrade (new MCU) is SEPARATE from the FSD Upgrade (new Tesla logic board to replace the existing NVIDIA logic board)

Going to wait it out until my eMMC goes into self destruct mode and see what they are offering for replacements before laying out $2500 to lose my radios.
Good catch. Added a few more responses to the poll.

Don't know if I can. My assumption is they are replacing the entire MCU unit.

This is different then the replacement of the AP computer / logic board...that's why I posted this:

Good catch. Added a few more responses to the poll.

This is my thought.

(1) If you already paid for FSD, then if the cost of FSD is above $2500 you get MCU/2 for free, if below, pay the delta and you get MCU/2. When they do the MCU/2 you will get your FSD Computer.
(2) If you haven't paid for FSD yet, then to get MCU/2, pay for FSD and you get MCU/2.
(3) If you are pre AP or AP1, then you need to pay $2500 to get MCU/2.

Just my guess.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
given im 50/50 radio/streamed music and play games 0% its a net loss. a functional browser would be cool. hopefully when/if mcu1 fails can still be fixed or there's an FM radio option on replacement. though, need to look at TuneIn and see if my local npr station is there

As long as I get to keep the premium connectivity that was almost taken away from my used Tesla, in order to power all these fancy additions. My logic is that I still have a year of warranty and if my MCU1 dies (or eMMC’s...) then I will got another free MCU1 under warranty. But if it dies outside of the warranty period, I’ld rather pay $2,500 for a MCU2 than $2,500 for a MCU1.

Your options don't go far enough back You don't consider the cars that do not have full self-driving and can never have full self-driving. I have a 2012 S85 signature. And yes I would upgrade to be able to get a faster and better MCU and 5G capability, seeing that my car already has unlimited premium connectivity and unlimited free supercharging And I'm not necessarily a fan of autopilot.

Is this Tesla's answer to fixing our older cars that paid for FSD? If it is, NOT ACCEPTABLE! and have to pay more to get features? Am I confused?

No, FSD purchasers will get FSD computer but only later in the queue. This is their answer to entertainment gap. Plus its my solution to an aged MCU1 that is now out of warranty. No need for preventative eMMC. I'm FSD so I've got tons of reasons to upgrade and make my car like new (sans FM which I never use).