Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade - technician skipped screen replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I were doing the upgrade I would probably take the discount. There is no evidence of the screen failing and yellow border can be fixed with UV light.
I agree. The yellow border was fixed in March with UV and it looks fine so far. I want to get the HW3/MCU2 in fear of eMMC failure. Have had a few issues with touch screen but thankfully they were quick and infrequent.

Reactions: Gt1948
Are you 100% sure it was not replaced? 2017 models were still carrying dual-computers for each of the screens if I am not mistaken. I have an appointment soon for a late 2017 100D (but Model X) and I was told IC screen will also be replaced.
@caps04, I am confident that if @jimgardner99, received the MCU2 Upgrade, they replaced his IC also. It won't work with the old one, and unless he's got a big hole where his IC is supposed to be, he's got IC2.

• Funny
Reactions: croman
I agree. The yellow border was fixed in March with UV and it looks fine so far. I want to get the HW3/MCU2 in fear of eMMC failure. Have had a few issues with touch screen but thankfully they were quick and infrequent.

Mine is very close to death. I was at that SC last month to get my AC repaired. They said nothing wrong and gave it back busted. Going to Devon now

Reactions: Akikiki
Discontinued?

I wonder if the 'discontinued' comment deals with them having a shortage of screens and therefore to conserve them for replacement purposes they are now separating the 'combo' and only doing the screen if needed/demanded.

I was afraid of something like this (parts shortage) - I bet they didn't expect so many people were willing to pay the $$$ - and am happy I pushed hard to get mine done in May instead of waiting. And now they have cut the warranty on it as well. Sometimes it sucks to be the guinea pig but in this case there were advantages...

2016 May MS75 currently at ~85k miles.. Recently was at SC for a Rear motor replacement on warranty due to a Fault message - technician mentioned the MCU2 upgrade will be available for us next month.

1. For those with Enhanced autopilot meaning no FSD hardware is there a big difference in AP after MCU2 upgrade?

and secondly - is the IC integrated in MCU2? -so does that mean post upgrade if you reboot during drive you will lose IC screen?

1. Is there a big difference. Yes, its been reported for those that MCU1>MCU2 and no FSD. Still an improvement.

2. IC2 is subordinate to MCU2 unlike MCU1 and IC1. Yes, it reboots with the with MCU2. And the upper button on the wheel do nothing with MCU2.

Is IC2 rebooting with MCU2 a concern for you? If so, why, please?

1. Is there a big difference. Yes, its been reported for those that MCU1>MCU2 and no FSD. Still an improvement.
OK great.. =)

Is IC2 rebooting with MCU2 a concern for you? If so, why, please?

Very often I have had to do reboot (by pressing 2 scroll wheels) during a drive when radio does not respond etc. So in MCU2 if we were to do it during drive it would you not lose drive display info (speed/drive mode)?

Very often I have had to do reboot (by pressing 2 scroll wheels) during a drive when radio does not respond etc. So in MCU2 if we were to do it during drive it would you not lose drive display info (speed/drive mode)?
You won't be doing all those reboots with MCU2 to restore radio. I've had MCU2 now since 1 April and have rebooted once, just to see if IC2 rebooted too.

Reactions: pilotSteve

Well if you do the MCU upgrade you will have no AM/FM/XM radio.. So that won't be an issue. ;)

@ecampi, There's an owner on the TM S forum saying today and yesterday that he is 70th in line waiting on a re-manufactured MCU1. 70th in line across the country. Says his SC also said there's a shortage of MCU2. And its the shortage of MCU2's that's impacting the availability of stock to re-manufacturer-able MCU1s.

I document reported MCU1 failures. I find them on TM and TMC. This is by no means all of the failures. Only those reported by owners. How many more times larger these numbers are is only a guess. Let me share this detail with you, summarizing counts for you.

From the collected data the most common reported failed year Model S is 2015.
Of 297 counted, 120 are 2015.

Of the 2015’s: 39 failed in 2019 and 68 failed in 2020. Need I point out? We are only half way through 2020 and already almost twice as many in 2020 than 2019?

I saw, I know you are a Feb 2017 build. But you are competing for one the same MCU1 as all those failing 2015's.
Since MCU2 is not yet (but I believe will soon be) available to 2015's your best "get your car back on the road" bet is to pour your energies into getting MCU2 and skip MCU1.

Akikiki - we've communicated before, my 2013 MS has been in my garage waiting for an MCU1 since early June. If there's a cue of 70, any guess as to how fast they are being produced? Will the MCU2s will be compatible to the 2013 year soon?

We don't know the status of the queue. Do you have a work request for a MCU1 repair in at the SC now? If you do, I suspect you are already in that queue.

I do know of one person with a 2013 S that has been offered and accepted the MCU2 upgrade instead of MCU1. So, we know they can do 2013's pre-AP1 cars too. I know because I have the Service estimate from the SC. That owner is waiting on the MCU2 kit to arrive, but still sooner than when the MCU1 was going to be available.

There's been a shortage of MCU1. So making MCU2 available is a big help. For every MCU2 installed, the MCU1 core goes into core stock for refurbishing. But the backlog does not appear to have reduced yet.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
There's been a shortage of MCU1. So making MCU2 available is a big help. For every MCU2 installed, the MCU1 core goes into core stock for refurbishing. But the backlog does not appear to have reduced yet.

Based on other comments, it seems there is also a shortage of MCU2s and the screens. A number of posts say their appointments are being pushed back, and they don't have the option to get a new main screen - they will reuse the old one even if it has a yellow border (but one person said the SC would UV-treat it to remove the border). Looks like the demand for upgrade was better than expected, even at $2.5K...