Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade - technician skipped screen replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. First time poster/episodic lurker here. I have a 2015 Model S 90D with just shy of 25,000 miles. Last week the touchscreen died and yeah, like a lot of folks upthread, it was the MCU. After reading through all of this I'm curious about whether or not my '15 with Autopilot 1.0 would be compatible with MCU 2.0. How would I best assess that? I've been unable to speak directly with a service tech at the Raleigh about this.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions.

- Bill -

@Akikiki @others. I just got my estimate to do 3 things: 1- Infotainment upgrade, 2 - HW3.0 upgrade 3- Recall repair pass airbag. SC called me to clarify repairs and now I am concerned that estimate is correct, a couple things worry me 1- Downgrade Ludicrious and 2- Infotainment and HW3 stuff. I've attached estimate I need to approve.
I appreciate and thank you in advance for any comments.

Tesla Service Estimate.png

I have a service appointment tomorrow at Tysons in northern VA to upgrade from HW2.5 to 3 and also MCU1 to MCU2. The estimate was for $2,250 without screen. I said that I wanted the $2,500 option including screen. My screen has the yellow border and I would prefer 4 years warranty. Instead they added a screen replacement option at $764.50 including labor!

I have responded to them to say I expect the $2.5k price but no response. Anyone else seen this and got passed it?

On a slight tangent I can say that I have been a huge Tesla fan and was somewhat skeptical of the poor service narrative. This is the first time I have had to try and communicate with them. It has been laughably, embarrassingly terrible. I called, email, texted, declined agreements with notes and edited the app all with zero response. I finally texted a mobile service person who gave me his number a few months ago and got a bit of movement. My narrative of: "Tesla is awesome" has been downgraded to: "Tesla have amazing products, just hope you don't need to communicate with anyone". Shame really.

welcome to the club... Tesla is like Oprah but for bad service... you get bad service! You get bad service ! and finally you get bad service!

@Akikiki @others. I just got my estimate to do 3 things: 1- Infotainment upgrade, 2 - HW3.0 upgrade 3- Recall repair pass airbag. SC called me to clarify repairs and now I am concerned that estimate is correct, a couple things worry me 1- Downgrade Ludicrious and 2- Infotainment and HW3 stuff. I've attached estimate I need to approve.
I appreciate and thank you in advance for any comments.

View attachment 561169
@Dreamontom99, I see nothing wrong with MCU Upgrade or FSD HW upgrade. Looks fine to me. I like it. And pricing is right. Don't be alarmed about "No labor performed" that's their way of saying, we are not charging for labor, its included.

I guess you know what you are doing, but I don't understand the downgrade of Ludicrous. There's people here shopping for used cars that want Ludicrous and are complaining that the SC won't add it, enable it. To take it off an existing car is taking value away from the car. But I guess you know best.

I agree with @viper2ko. Gen 2 is fixable if it has the yellow border. Its fixed with a couple of hours under a UV light. A few people have even bought UV lamps on Amazon and done it themselves. Of course depends on intensity of light as to how long. But yes, there are differences. There are even differences between Gen 2, because there are different part numbers. What are the Gen 2 differences, we don't know. Must be minor.

I had both the HW3 and the MCU2 upgrade done last week in my 2017 Model S. I did not get the screen replaced and I am ok with that since I have no yellowing or screen issues. The Paramus, NJ service center did a good job and did agree with my take on the current condition of the screen. They are having issues with keeping the MCU parts in stock, as I had to move my appointment several times.

Overall, I am very pleased with the performance bump on the screen/gps etc. The car my have 21k miles but looks and feels like new with the upgrades.

Note that sometime between 6/1 and today Tesla changed the warranty for MCU replacements to 2-years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first... No more 4-year warranty.

Actually it was between June 14 and July 1. When I heard about this 'quiet' change I used the wayback machine to review the stored web pages for the warranty info. Archive.org last captured that page on 6/14 and it still showed 4 years with no mileage cap. I had mine replaced on 6/1 and on that day made a copy of my warranty page and also a copy of the above-mentioned 6/14 page. So mine does have the 4 year warranty regardless of what Tesla now says. If anyone else had theirs replaced prior to 6/14 and paid for it, save a copy for your records. Tesla cannot make a warranty change retroactive unless you agree in writing.

Reactions: Akikiki
Just adding my own experience. I had my HW2->HW3 and MCU1->MCU2 upgrade about a month ago (paid $2500 which included a screen replacement). I'm glad my original screen had some yellowing because the yellowing was still there after the upgrade. If not for the existing yellowing, I wouldn't have noticed that they forgot to replace my screen. I contacted them through the app, they apologized, and a mobile technician replaced it about 2 weeks later.

They also charged me tax... so now its time to try to claw that back. Other than this instance, my previous experiences with my local service center were superb.

@Dreamontom99, I see nothing wrong with MCU Upgrade or FSD HW upgrade. Looks fine to me. I like it. And pricing is right. Don't be alarmed about "No labor performed" that's their way of saying, we are not charging for labor, its included.

I guess you know what you are doing, but I don't understand the downgrade of Ludicrous. There's people here shopping for used cars that want Ludicrous and are complaining that the SC won't add it, enable it. To take it off an existing car is taking value away from the car. But I guess you know best.

@Akikiki Sorry guess I wasn't clear, I did NOT ask to downgrade Ludicrous, I mean the thought of that is just Ludicrous ... couldn't help myself there ;-) What I'm worried about is how the heck did that get on my estimate? When I spoke to the guy he even thought it was weird and said he corrected it, but the fact that is even on the estimate has me worried. I was wondering if you guys had even seen something like this appear before, any thoughts? Also Thanks Again for your insight !

@Akikiki Sorry guess I wasn't clear, I did NOT ask to downgrade Ludicrous, I mean the thought of that is just Ludicrous ... couldn't help myself there ;-) What I'm worried about is how the heck did that get on my estimate? When I spoke to the guy he even thought it was weird and said he corrected it, but the fact that is even on the estimate has me worried. I was wondering if you guys had even seen something like this appear before, any thoughts? Also Thanks Again for your insight !

The only thing I have seen like that before is Tesla doing an audit on EAP/FSD and finding cars that had it enabled but it hadn't been paid for so they turned it off. (And in some cases their records were wrong, in other cases they were correct.) I haven't heard of them doing that to Ludicrous before though.

Those folks that are still in line or about to get your MCU upgraded. Regarding the screen. If you decide to insist and pay for the new one, or are okay with saving some $$ and keep the old one, at least be very clear with your SC rep when you take the car in. Talk about it. Be sure it's noted on the work ticket. Why, why you ask?

Its as much work or more to later/after come back and remove the MCU and take the screen off to replace it, after the car's been completed. Its like them having to do double work. Don't do that to them. Don't put the SC or the techs or yourself through that pain of explaining or working to make it right. Its a waste or resources its a waste of everyone involved time. The SC's are busy enough without unnecessary work to get back to square one. Help them, be clear at the beginning - Please.

Those folks that are still in line or about to get your MCU upgraded. Regarding the screen. If you decide to insist and pay for the new one, or are okay with saving some $$ and keep the old one, at least be very clear with your SC rep when you take the car in. Talk about it. Be sure it's noted on the work ticket. Why, why you ask?

Its as much work or more to later/after come back and remove the MCU and take the screen off to replace it, after the car's been completed. Its like them having to do double work. Don't do that to them. Don't put the SC or the techs or yourself through that pain of explaining or working to make it right. Its a waste or resources its a waste of everyone involved time. The SC's are busy enough without unnecessary work to get back to square one. Help them, be clear at the beginning - Please.
Good luck with that. I stated it very clearly in the scheduled appointment. But the email I received notifying me of the parts order for MCU2 indicated "without screen". SC will no longer reply to attempts to contact them on the matter. It's going to be a "take it or leave it" matter. And it seems that my own MCU may be on its way out (frequently freezing up, requiring reboots every hour, or so), so delaying my appointment for an indeterminate time later is risky.

• Love
Reactions: croman
Yesterday, I got the MCU1 upgraded to MCU2 on my 2017 Model S. I had a yellow border around my old MCU1 screen. I paid $2500 for the upgrade and I specifically asked for, and they confirmed that both the MCU and the screen will be replaced.

When I went to pick up the car, the MCU was upgraded (much snappier) but the yellow border around the screen persisted. They mentioned that there was a miscommunication and the technician did not replace the screen. To make up for it, they set up a mobile appointment to replace just the screen.

Does anyone know that after they replace just the screen next, would it be the same thing as if they had replaced the MCU and screen together? Would the new screen replacement get rid of the yellowing forever?

PS: They also upgraded my HW2.5 to FSD even though that wasn't part of the service - no complaints there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am not much of a Technocrat; I just drive my '17 MS. I was not aware that a new MCU was available or what change in performance could be expected. But just recently, with 13K miles, I developed "yellow screen". Not really that big of deal, really, but if there was enough benefit to changing out the MCU and it is paired (normally) with a screen change, I might spring for the $2500. I