Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 updates on hold/ended?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 S with MCU1 and AP3 remains on 2020.48.37.6, while I see others on TeslaFi with the same configuration (and likely MCU2) on 2021.32.10.

It wouldn't surprise if the real issue is that the amount of available storage space on the eMMC near end of life simply isn't enough to hold the differential patch. I certainly can't even get the 7 MB owner's manual to open without going through all sorts of resource reduction hoops/restarts.

My 2018 S with MCU1 and AP3 remains on 2020.48.37.6, while I see others on TeslaFi with the same configuration (and likely MCU2) on 2021.32.10.

It wouldn't surprise if the real issue is that the amount of available storage space on the eMMC near end of life simply isn't enough to hold the differential patch. I certainly can't even get the 7 MB owner's manual to open without going through all sorts of resource reduction hoops/restarts.
I’m in the same boat and debating the upgrade.

Latest projection for eMMC global recall completion is Feb 2023, which as of March this year will be for MCU1 out of warranty. Since I have a 4th year maintenance plan service coming up I’ve opted to have MCU2+Radio done at same time out of convenience to both parties. Just can’t see a resolution appearing between now and MCU1 out of warranty, particularly since the involvement of John Carmack last August has resulted in no announcement.

DateRecalls/Retrofits
30th April 2021​
4,485​
29th July 2021​
13,509​
30th October 2021​
27,176​
31st January 2022​
41,441​

Last edited:
Am curious to know what Tesla will do with price point after March 2022. There's possibly only so much that can be done given service centre technician time necessary for the retrofit work. Parts shortages can't be helping either. From infotainment page they say up-front new features are MCU2 only.