Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Media Mistake - False] No FM, Bluetooth, or USB Audio either?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's quite straightforward to stream AM radio through the TuneIn interface. The exception is if the vehicle is in an out-of-service area, but I've found that situation to be infrequent.

In SoCal, I think you'd have no trouble consistently streaming any station from nearly anywhere in the world through TuneIn.
Except for sports that are blacked out and road and traffic AM stations for safety messages, you are right.

The exceptions make the omission very dumb.

The wife was very upset when I told her that the M3 did not have an AM radio. She uses the AM radio in her Volt for news and traffic updates. The M3 was to replace her Volt, but that may not happen now.
You can download the tunein app today that @ohmman suggests and prove to yourself if that will satisfactorily replace your AM needs. Easy peasy to answer that concern....

Here in the St. Louis area, sports are broadcast on AM radio stations as well as secondary HD FM stations. Sports is blacked out on all streaming such as TuneIn. If the Model 3 doesn’t offer AM or HD FM, that’s a dealbreaker for me, and I’ll cancel my day 1 reservation. Frankly I think it’s ridiculous that a car at the Model 3’s price point doesn’t offer XM or HD radio. I think the people on this forum dismissing people’s concerns over the Model 3’s radio options are also ridiculous.

Here in the St. Louis area, sports are broadcast on AM radio stations as well as secondary HD FM stations. Sports is blacked out on all streaming such as TuneIn. If the Model 3 doesn’t offer AM or HD FM, that’s a dealbreaker for me, and I’ll cancel my day 1 reservation. Frankly I think it’s ridiculous that a car at the Model 3’s price point doesn’t offer XM or HD radio. I think the people on this forum dismissing people’s concerns over the Model 3’s radio options are also ridiculous.

This is probably the most absurd reason I've heard yet.

Sit in front of a TV. Problem solved.

You didn't mention what sports you're interested in but SiriusXM app has every NFL, MLB, NHL, many College FB, EPL soccer, etc. that you can & you should be able to bluetooth.

In my X, when I can't find the home team broadcast on Satellite XM I just go to either the sport APP or Sirius app and bluetooth.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
I'd be dissapointed if it didn't have HD radio - can you even buy a radio these days that doesn't support it? All Model S and X's have it so I'm assuming the 3 will have it also.

This is probably the most absurd reason I've heard yet.

Sit in front of a TV. Problem solved.
Is this supposed to be a joke? The way I read it comes across as very condescending.

Reactions: rxlawdude
I'd be dissapointed if it didn't have HD radio - can you even buy a radio these days that doesn't support it? All Model S and X's have it so I'm assuming the 3 will have it also.

Is this supposed to be a joke? The way I read it comes across as very condescending.

Well, no, not a joke at all.

You don't find the juxtaposition of wanting to sit around the ol' transistor to listen to a ballgame, in a Tesla, to be just a tad misplaced?

As others have said, the technology exists for a workaround.

On the coasts, games are on the FM dial, so it's not much of a problem. In the flyovers, XM or the paid apps are going to be your best bet.

Maybe blame the team and their broadcast partners for not stepping into the 1980s or 90s. But to be upset at Tesla because their electric motors cause interference with AM radio signals is misguided.

I don't suppose we should all just stay in ICE cars until the issue is fixed, should we?

"The lack of a feature that has faded out of use in the past 30 years is a dealbreaker for me purchasing the most technologically advanced car ever built."

Yes....absurd. Take my tone however you please, but AM radio being a dealbreaker in the Model 3 is absolutely absurd.

Last edited:
Well, no, not a joke at all.

You don't find the juxtaposition of wanting to sit around the ol' transistor to listen to a ballgame, in a Tesla, to be just a tad misplaced?

As others have said, the technology exists for a workaround.

On the coasts, games are on the FM dial, so it's not much of a problem. In the flyovers, XM or the paid apps are going to be your best bet.

Maybe blame the team and their broadcast partners for not stepping into the 1980s or 90s. But to be upset at Tesla because their electric motors cause interference with AM radio signals is misguided.

I don't suppose we should all just stay in ICE cars until the issue is fixed, should we?
I feel like if someone wants to listen to a local game on the radio while driving, telling them to sit in front of a TV isn't a very helpful response. I understand the issue with electric cars and AM, and I'm willing to bet that the Model 3 will have HD radio like the S and X, so this likely won't be a problem in this instance.

I think we should be able to give people information about the status of the radio and let them decide if the shortcomings are important enough for them to look at other options. If they choose to rant and rave against Tesla, that's what the ignore button is for :D

Reactions: rxlawdude
I feel like if someone wants to listen to a local game on the radio while driving, telling them to sit in front of a TV isn't a very helpful response. I understand the issue with electric cars and AM, and I'm willing to bet that the Model 3 will have HD radio like the S and X, so this likely won't be a problem in this instance.

I think we should be able to give people information about the status of the radio and let them decide if the shortcomings are important enough for them to look at other options. If they choose to rant and rave against Tesla, that's what the ignore button is for :D

Then all of this can be avoided by saying: "Ask Model X owners how they're coping"

“Sit in front of a tv”. Thanks, very helpful.

St. Louis Cardinals and Blues games are blacked out locally on all streaming and XM. The only way to listen to them is through AM, HD FM, or to use VPN to work around the blackouts. I don’t understand how a car with this much tech doesn’t offer HD radio.

I don’t understand how a car with this much tech doesn’t offer HD radio.

We don't necessarily know that it doesn't. The UI is unfinished, and there are features that current Model 3 owners don't even have yet that will show up in later iterations of the UI.

And you're telling me that for a combined 245 nights/year, not counting playoffs, you're going to be in your car?

You didn't mention what sports you're interested in but SiriusXM app has every NFL, MLB, NHL, many College FB, EPL soccer, etc. that you can & you should be able to bluetooth.

In my X, when I can't find the home team broadcast on Satellite XM I just go to either the sport APP or Sirius app and bluetooth.
Yep, the Sirius XM APP indeed has all of those things. But it doesn't work where there's no cellular. AM and XM, of course, would still work. It also does not cover the safety situation of being unable to receive road condition and other information from low power AM stations common in California and other western states.

I'm sorry that those who don't feel the need for these have to castigate those who point out this omission on the M3. But the real backlash will come when it's available to the masses.

Yep, the Sirius XM APP indeed has all of those things. But it doesn't work where there's no cellular. AM and XM, of course, would still work. It also does not cover the safety situation of being unable to receive road condition and other information from low power AM stations common in California and other western states.

I'm sorry that those who don't feel the need for these have to castigate those who point out this omission on the M3. But the real backlash will come when it's available to the masses.

This car seems to be very desirable for people who don't understand what this car and/or its underlying technology actually are.

I've seen people up in arms that it can't tow, I've seen people up in arms that they may need a bluetooth enabled phone, and now people who need it to have AM.

Why don't the people who just want to drive a 1978 Ford F-150 just go buy one and let EV technology progress into the 21st century?

"Hey Tesla, I know you're making a technically superior zero emissions vehicle, but what I really miss is the interior of my car smelling like the exhaust is pumping straight into it like my older cars have. Is there any way you can add interior CO2 fumes as a feature? If you can't that's like totes a dealbreaker for me."

• Funny
Reactions: insaneoctane