Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Meet Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a model 3 reservation holder but never got the email. I went last week to Park Royal, lots of Tesla staff but wasn’t too busy at all.

One of the guys thought it would be 2020 before anything other than the long range AWD or performance version would be available, probably should have predicted that but was hoping for sooner!

Should have been to all reservation holders that would make way more sense

Doesn't make "way more sense" to me.

Tesla have announced they are going to prioritise sales to existing owners first, given that have subsidised the Model-3 and probably because they will be a more sympathetic, and product-familiar, audience.

Also Tesla would not cope with the deluge of interest if it was "all reservation holders", so basically "no point". Make sense to me as it will be a long time until most of those get a car, particularly anyone wanting the entry-level model. An existing Model-S/X owner with a reservation might expect a car early part of 2019 (maybe continental Europe, with RHD being a bit further delayed). Once the car is available in the UK then all SC will have demonstrators etc. and will cope with doing the promotional side, but until then its just a couple of demo cars and a small audience.

Reactions: Terry_B58
I think ?? it was only for existing Model-S / Model-X owners - dunno if that includes you?

I'm an M3 reservation holder and a current Model X owner = no invite, lol!

So looks like they are probably targeting current S/X owners who haven't yet shown any interest in ordering an M3, which would make sense. But would have been nice to have been invited all the same :(

Well, just to add to the general all round confusion, I’m also a Model 3 reservation holder, but not an existing S or X owner, and I DID receive an email invite!

In fact, I left Mrs O’Watt Christmas shopping at the Trafford Centre last week and popped across to the Stockport SC to have a look!

Nice car - just a pity you can’t take one for a test drive. It all feels a bit sterile in a showroom environment with just a walk round and a chance to sit inside with some of the sales guys making a better effort than others at trying to sound like they’re not scripted!

• Funny
Reactions: Flatchat
I was in Florida 6 weeks ago and went to a Tesla store. Quoted 8 weeks delivery on new Model 3 in the states. It seems like virtually all back orders in the states have been cleared so would expect R/H deliveries to be around June /July time if they keep pumping them out at the present rate.

Reactions: trentbridge
So looks like they are probably targeting current S/X owners who haven't yet shown any interest in ordering an M3, which would make sense.

I'm in that category and they didn't invite me either!

if they keep pumping them out at the present rate.

I read somewhere that Tesla are planning to ship 3,000 M3 a week to Europe .... dunno about RHD of course ... nor what the backlog (of likely Premium-model buyers) is likely to be.

Buying one in order to stand-out-from-the-crowd isn't going to last long!

I was in Florida 6 weeks ago and went to a Tesla store. Quoted 8 weeks delivery on new Model 3 in the states. It seems like virtually all back orders in the states have been cleared so would expect R/H deliveries to be around June /July time if they keep pumping them out at the present rate.

It seems a bit odd to me that they appear to have caught up with back orders at this stage. I thought there were supposed to be around 400,000 reservations, and they have so far delivered only around 140,000 cars. So I guess a lot of people with reservations are waiting for the base model to be released before ordering. I expected the backlog to take at least 2 years to clear, but obviously not the case!

As for RHD they will probably build a large batch of them at some unspecified point in the future, possibly based on the number of reservations placed. I expect it will be fairly easy to order a top end spec car when they do eventually arrive in the UK and there may even be inventory stock if many of the reservation holders are waiting for the base model. I've heard of some inventory Model 3s being available in the US already.

It seems a bit odd to me that they appear to have caught up with back orders at this stage. I thought there were supposed to be around 400,000 reservations, and they have so far delivered only around 140,000 cars. So I guess a lot of people with reservations are waiting for the base model to be released before ordering. I expected the backlog to take at least 2 years to clear, but obviously not the case!

This point is being made by some elsewhere. It’s all very well outselling the competition now, when there’s a backlog of orders to fulfil. How many new sales are being made, and how many of the reservations have either dropped away or are waiting for the mystical $35k option?

This point is being made by some elsewhere. It’s all very well outselling the competition now, when there’s a backlog of orders to fulfil. How many new sales are being made, and how many of the reservations have either dropped away or are waiting for the mystical $35k option?

Actually I think there will be a lot more new sales once people realise the car is available here and now. The fact that 400,000 people were willing to put down a deposit before the car was released shows the potential demand. But it does look increasingly like there is a lot more demand for a base model, as you might expect at that price point.

It would make sense for Tesla to address that base market once the high end market is saturated. But there are still major markets to be milked with the high end M3 models before filtering down at a reduced margin. You would think the US and Europe can take all the high end M3s Tesla are able to produce for quite some time to come. Maybe another year at least? It's not like there is even any direct competition in that time scale, which I find quite remarkable!

Actually I think there will be a lot more new sales once people realise the car is available here and now. The fact that 400,000 people were willing to put down a deposit before the car was released shows the potential demand. But it does look increasingly like there is a lot more demand for a base model, as you might expect at that price point.

It would make sense for Tesla to address that base market once the high end market is saturated. But there are still major markets to be milked with the high end M3 models before filtering down at a reduced margin. You would think the US and Europe can take all the high end M3s Tesla are able to produce for quite some time to come. Maybe another year at least? It's not like there is even any direct competition in that time scale, which I find quite remarkable!

Undoubtedly meeting the demand for the higher end makes complete sense, in fact from what Elon has said they aren't yet in a position to sell the $35k version at a profit. I wonder how much more difficult that has become as the tax credit is reducing/finishing.

I don't have a clue how many top spec reservations or orders there are, nor how long before production would be able to satisfy them all.

The lack of competition is very helpful indeed and will surely help Tesla in 2019 at the very least. I suspect the shorters are waiting for the day that production exceeds demand so they can claim Tesla are finally doomed. Yawn.

Elon has said they aren't yet in a position to sell the $35k version at a profit. I wonder how much more difficult that has become as the tax credit is reducing/finishing.

The loss of the credit doesn't make them any more difficult to build at a profit, since the sale price and hence margin doesn't change. So that is a fixed set of goalposts they are aiming for in terms of the $35K price target.

It does of course make the cars rather less desirable for the buyer, and risks the tail end of the reservation list melting away if people were assuming an actual price of $35k - credit.

It seems a bit odd to me that they appear to have caught up with back orders at this stage. I thought there were supposed to be around 400,000 reservations, and they have so far delivered only around 140,000 cars.

My take is:

400K orders = worldwide, 140K built = USA market only (and premium model only)

assuming I haven't got wrong-end-of-stick?!

As the premium model has more profit (per unit, even if not pure-percentage) then makes sense to me to rollout premium model worldwide, milk that!, use that to increase throughput on production line (towards 500K p.a.) and then use that cost-per-unit reduction to allow production of base-model profitably.

in buying some winter tyres the other day I pondered that making 1,000 M3 a day requires 4,000 tyres ... I presume they don't stock many, but favour just-in-time-delivery ... the space required, and logistics, did my head in, just for the Tyres that were required each day let alone all the other bits and bobs ...