Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metric versus Imperial Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely. The US date format makes no sense, and why not just do it like the entire rest of the world does? But no, America is just too special…
If writing the month as a number instead of in words, I almost always write dates in the little endian (yyyy-mm-dd) format because most people can easily figure out what I'm saying (the 4 digits in "yyyy" make it obvious that it's the year). I do not use the big endian (dd-mm-yyyy) format because if dd <= 12 and mm <= 12, people can confuse it with the middle endian format. I don't want someone confusing December 4, 2022 (04-12-2022) with April 12, 2022 (12-04-2022), for example. But when you write 2022-12-04, everyone knows what this means and nobody will confuse it with April 12, 2022 because yyyy-dd-mm is not a valid format anywhere.

Ok guys, what do you think of this, since we’re bashing the US for being out of step. Make this change too?

View attachment 888974
For year agnostic events, relegating it to the end speeds things up.
No one asks, "who has a birthday this year?"
It's, "Who has a birthday this month?"

Look at your wall (or digital representation thereof) calendar. How do you add an event?
Each page is a month and on the pages are days.
You go to the month, then the day. Only rarely do you care about the year (must be something more than one year out).

Ok guys, what do you think of this, since we’re bashing the US for being out of step. Make this change too?

View attachment 888974
I don't encounter that one as much, so it tends to throw me occasionally... primarily because there is no "unit" included like there is in "3m" vs "3ft", so the field order is not always immediately obvious to me when the "day" field digits are =< 12.

That having been said, I typically append "_YYYYMMDD" to my filenames when I want sortable versions... so I appreciate the logic in it and would agree with it being adopted nationally. Once it became standard/common place, the ambiguity I referred to above becomes a non-issue and it'd again be second nature....

ON EDIT: Didn't see the subsequent posts before authoring my reply... I agree with many of the similar sentiments posted before I did.

That having been said, I typically append "_YYYYMMDD" to my filenames when I want sortable versions... so I appreciate the logic in it and would agree with it being adopted nationally.
And that makes sorting by file creation/modification time easy. Chop off everything before the "_" and then sort the remaining in alphanumeric order from left to right. Or convert to an unsigned integer and then sort the unsigned integers.

Reactions: scaesare
I would love that. I was never in the military but the 24 hour clock just makes sense to me.
Until we go to Mars. Then we'll need a 24-hour 40-minute clock.

Alternatively, we could give Mars a 6-day week, with two 24-hour "weekend" days, and four 25-hour "weekdays", and ditch Monday. I would approve of that.