Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MGP Caliper Covers (through Evannex or not)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pass on the covers ... get your calipers painted or powder coated. :cool:
Just weighing the options. The covers are tempting as they are way less hassle - this is a daily driver, which will be hard to drive without brakes (at least when it's cold and cannot regen). Paint in situ is not appealing either ... I agree this would probably be a better solution.

Bottom Line: Don't Buy the MPG Caliper Covers

Why?:
1) Primarily because you can PAINT all four with Tesla lettering for between $300-$450 (depending on location). At $249 for just the materials
2) The claims of brake dust reduction are false. The claims of heat reduction are false. These covers are only for Looks
3) From a "Looks" standpoint, these look much clunkier than painted. The required "Evannex" lettering is way cheaper looking than the official Tesla lettering that all painters have.
4) You will spend either a min of 2 hrs of your own time or 2 hrs of your mechanics time to install these. I'll argue this is a minimum of $100 of your precious time or a minimum of $200 of the mechanics bill. At $450 Total (highest price in CA) painted...these Covers simply make no sense

Only Downside to Painting from a Professional like California Wheels in Campbell, CA (or San Jose, CA) is they hold your car for 2 days to "do it right".

As for Evannex FAQ's from their website that says this?
========
"What about painting my calipers?

You can try painting your calipers, but be prepared for a lot of work. First, you'll need to get the whole car up on jack stands. Then you'll have to decide whether to paint them in place or disassemble them. Either way, everything will have to be completely clean or the paint won't stick. If you're painting the calipers in place, you'll need to use a brush, but there will be areas that will be hard to get to. Caliper Covers provide a more convenient and cleaner approach."
=========

As already mentioned "a lot of work" in my opinion is 2+ hrs of your own time or a mechanics time. You'll need to get the car on Jack Stands regardless to install the COVERS or to PAINT otherwise...Jacking up/down individual wheels = significantly added time. The professional painters like California Wheels is WAY MORE CONVENIENT and CLEANER!

Call Tommy at California Wheels in Campbell, CA (IF you are in the Bay Area). the price is $450 for all four wheels 1-408-341-1646. I've seen in places like Colorado or other states it's closer to $300 but that's the "CA Tax"! and quite frankly when compared to $250 + $100/$200 of labor...these COVERS MAKE NO SENSE. DO IT RIGHT. PAINT THEM. LOOKS WAY BETTER

D2A3CB09-0A77-4558-99FB-7F1044C2B5A9.jpeg
B6D4CD88-1007-44A2-8DA4-DF4B3E831001.jpeg
Let us know how it turns out and the quoted price ... photos are a bonus. Thanks :cool:
Sorry for the delay. I got mine painted at California Wheels recently and very happy. $400 for all four.

I had MGP caliper covers on my black 2016 Honda Civic and I really liked the look (see pic below):
My-Civic-Composite-Front-3x2-Small.jpg

However, I think the covers make more sense on a car with small brakes and if you can get the manufacturer's logo on them, but when your car already has nice big Brembos and the covers only say "EVANNEX" on them, it makes more sense to get the calipers painted or powder-coated. I was looking at powder-coating mine but it's really expensive - around $1200+ CAD with the labour and car rental fees since they need to keep the car for about a week. I'm going to just get mine painted in the spring and it should cost less than $300 (plus you won't get charged extra labour fees to remove/install the covers each time your brakes are serviced/inspected).

Reactions: FlatSix911