Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin CC2, Vredestien Quatrac Pro, or Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need some help deciding between these 3 tires for my 19" gemini's MY
1. Michelin Cross Climate 2
2. Vredestien Quatrac Pro
3. Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail

I live in SoCal and the new tires will be on year round. Drive the car about 40mi a week with weekend trips up to the snow (Mammoth Mountain) 1-2 times a month.. so snow performance is pretty high up there for me.

I hear great things about all these tires and might be leaning slightly towards the wildpeak's just because we enjoy camping in the tesla and doing minor offroad (fireroads mostly so any of these tires would be fine) but I do like that they will lift the car slightly as well.

I am also a bit concerned of the range hit, I've read that the wildpeak's and Quatrac Pro's aren't bad at all, but would like to get some more input from you guys on these 3 tires. Thanks!

This is the same list of tires I'm considering when I need replacements. The way I see it they all have some tradeoffs and can't decide. I'd also like to size up to 255/50/R19 for some added ground clearance. I want something that works well for forest roads and in the snow.

CrossClimate2s ($1250 via tirerack)
  • Pros
    • Effective year-round (Severe snow rated)
    • Work well in snow
  • Cons
    • ~10% range hit
    • Noisier than OEM
    • Expensive
    • Out of stock often
    • Not available in larger 255/50/r19 size
Wildpeaks ($996 via tirerack)
  • Pros
    • Effective year-round (Severe Snow rated)
    • I like the look of A/T
  • Cons
    • ~10% range hit
    • Noisier than OEM (I assume)
    • Not sure how well they work in snow despite being rated 3PSM
Quatrac Pros ($1027 via tirerack)
  • Pros
    • Effective year-round (severe snow rated)
    • Minimal range hit
    • Most report quiet as or quieter than OEM
    • improved ride comfort
  • Cons
    • Just ok in snow but rated 3PSM
    • Used to be able to find them cheaper than OEM or alternative all-weather options - seems to be about the same costs as others now
Not on your list but also considering Goodyear Assurance Weatheready ($963) since it looks like it could fit the bill and have seen some recommendations for them lately.

Last edited:
This is the same list of tires I'm considering when I need replacements. The way I see it they all have some tradeoffs and can't decide. I'd also like to size up to 255/50/R19 to for some added ground clearance. I want something that works well for forest roads and in the snow.

• Pros
    • Work well in snow
  • Cons
    • ~10% range hit
    • Noisier than OEM
    • Expensive
    • Out of stock often
  • Pros
    • I like the look of A/T
  • Cons
    • ~10% range hit
  • Pros
    • Minimal range hit
    • improved ride comfort
  • Cons
    • Used to be able to find them cheaper than OEM or alternative all-weather options - seems to be about the same costs as others now
Not on your list but also considering Goodyear Assurance Weatheready ($963) since it looks like it could fit the bill and have seen some recommendations for them lately.
I found Quadrac Pros (255/55R18) at Discount Tire, you need to call them, they don't even list the brand on their website. They quoted me: $988! I think I found them on amazon or tirerack.com and sent them a price to match. These tires (in Portland OR) are always selling out this time of year, so they had to bring them from another area warehouse, its taking like 2-4 business days to get them.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
I found Quadrac Pros (255/55R18) at Discount Tire, you need to call them, they don't even list the brand on their website. They quoted me: $988! I think I found them on amazon or tirerack.com and sent them a price to match. These tires (in Portland OR) are always selling out this time of year, so they had to bring them from another area warehouse, its taking like 2-4 business days to get them.
Yea, I compared prices using tirerack instead of discount tire because I could never find vredstein tires on their site. Good to know they may have stock if you call in!

Is there really no range reduction with the Quatrac Pro? I don't see anything about them being low rolling resistance.
Have been running these since September. So far the hit on range has been minor, and most of the damage has taken place during coldest weather. Will be interesting to see how the numbers move with spring on the horizon.

As for snow handling, there is no comparison to the OEM Conti’s. So far they have held their track here in the icy Northeast. This, in contrast to the constant fishtailing of the Conti’s.

I‘m not convinced they make the suspension feel any better. If they do, it’s at best, marginal. But no tire is going to fix that mess….in my humble opinion.

Got the tires from a local shop that bested TireRack by about 10%.

Hope this helps.

This is the same list of tires I'm considering when I need replacements. The way I see it they all have some tradeoffs and can't decide. I'd also like to size up to 255/50/R19 for some added ground clearance. I want something that works well for forest roads and in the snow.

• Pros
    • Work well in snow
  • Cons
    • ~10% range hit
    • Noisier than OEM
    • Expensive
    • Out of stock often
  • Pros
    • I like the look of A/T
  • Cons
    • ~10% range hit
  • Pros
    • Minimal range hit
    • improved ride comfort
  • Cons

Yea, I compared prices using tirerack instead of discount tire because I could never find vredstein tires on their site. Good to know they may have stock if you call in!
I went with the Vredestein Quatrac Pros based on the reviews here. I was shocked at how poor their snow performance is. Not long after I put CC2 on our Honda Pilot. It's a much better snow performer. I will get them next time for the Y.

Also, Discount Tires owns the Tirerack, so any tire you find on Tirerack can be bought at DT for the same price. That's how I got these.

I went with the Vredestein Quatrac Pros based on the reviews here. I was shocked at how poor their snow performance is. Not long after I put CC2 on our Honda Pilot. It's a much better snow performer. I will get them next time for the Y.

Also, Discount Tires owns the Tirerack, so any tire you find on Tirerack can be bought at DT for the same price. That's how I got these.
Your post re: Quatrac Pro's poor snow performance is what made me change my mind about them. This is extra relevant to me as I am moving to Denver this summer and was looking to make a purchase before ski season. Looks like it's most likely down to the CC2 or wildpeaks!

Reactions: Noflash
I have to disagree with the assessment of the Quatrac Pro in the snow. I have been running these all winter in the Northeast and they have done a fine job. Certainly, significantly better than the OEM Conti’s. Now we have not had a huge amount of snow this season, but they have held their own on snow and ice.

Futher, there has been no real hit in terms of efficiency. With the warmer weather coming, I suspect they will only show improved results.

Hope this helps.

I have to disagree with the assessment of the Quatrac Pro in the snow. I have been running these all winter in the Northeast and they have done a fine job. Certainly, significantly better than the OEM Conti’s. Now we have not had a huge amount of snow this season, but they have held their own on snow and ice.

Futher, there has been no real hit in terms of efficiency. With the warmer weather coming, I suspect they will only show improved results.

Hope this helps.
Maybe it's my width? I have 255/50-18s and they were immediately going sideways after our first snow.

2022/2023 Test of 10 European All-Season Tires including Michelin CC2 and Vredestein Quatrac Pro. The first test is snow handling. (Summary at 4:20; spoiler alert: The CC2 is the clear winner of the snow handling test; the CC2 completed the snow test 10 seconds ahead of the Quatrac Pro. In the wet road course handling the Quatrac Pro turned in the shortest time; about 1.5 seconds faster than the CC2.)

Last edited:
2022/2023 Test of 10 European All-Season Tires including Michelin CC2 and Vredestein Quatrac Pro. The first test is snow handling. (Summary at 4:20; spoiler alert: The CC2 is the clear winner of the snow handling test; the CC2 completed the snow test 10 seconds ahead of the Quatrac Pro. In the wet road course handling the Quatrac Pro turned in the shortest time; about 1.5 seconds faster than the CC2.)
What's the difference between the Continental Allcontact tested and the Continental ProContact OEM? The Continental seemed to do well in that test.

What's the difference between the Continental Allcontact tested and the Continental ProContact OEM? The Continental seemed to do well in that test.
You can check Tirerack.com for information on different makes and models. Not all tire models are sold in the US. Over time Continental has offered, in the US, different models of tire including Purecontact, Allcontact, Procontact. The Continental tires web site might provide the best information. It may be that some models are considered grand touring all-season while other models are high performance all season (stiffer side wall, different rubber compound for better handling at higher speeds.)

What's the difference between the Continental Allcontact tested and the Continental ProContact OEM?
The AllSeasonContact is a 3 peak mountain snowflake (3PMS) tire and the ProContact RX is just M+S. That should suggest significant differences in light snow if nothing else. Of course it's probably irrelevant since the AllSeasonContact doesn't appear to be officially available in North America.

I agree with Quatrac Pro being disappointment in the snow. I consider myself pretty good snow driver and even with off-road mode on, I didn’t feel good grip in the packed snow. They also wear slightly faster than OEM Contis. Now, consider Nokian WR G4 SUV. If you are on west coast, you may have to order them from Midwest or East. Great thread, a monster in the snow and rain. Seems to wear slower with same driving style(acceleration boost used daily). Tires handled ice and snow with off-road mode like my old WRX. I would get them again and again. I do have MPP lift and I did go with 255/50/19.