Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Slams EVs again with new fees

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Michigan vehicle registration will soon go up by 20 percent (Detroit Free Press)

More of Michigan's anti-EV bias. Pathetic.

"Electric vehicles, or cars that are not capable of using gasoline and other traditional fuels, will be subject to an annual $100 surcharge, in addition to a $35 gasoline tax."

(Tried to post this in the "News" section, but I have "insufficient privileges" to do that.)

This should help the big 3 sell more plug-in hybrids. They're capable of using gasoline, so they're immune to this rule, yet in the real world don't very often do so, so they pay almost no fuel tax. Really a ridiculous policy like this is about the only reason to buy one of those things.

This should help the big 3 sell more plug-in hybrids. They're capable of using gasoline, so they're immune to this rule, yet in the real world don't very often do so, so they pay almost no fuel tax. Really a ridiculous policy like this is about the only reason to buy one of those things.

They get double-charged though. They still have to pay the gas taxes, AND they have to pay a "hybrid" fee on their registration to make up for the gas taxes they aren't paying.

Do folks actually believe that EVs or other mid sized vehicles are actually damaging the roads?

The contribution to road damage is so small it is insignificant compared to what trailers and semis do. They are the ones that need to pay up.

Reactions: Jaff
They get double-charged though. They still have to pay the gas taxes, AND they have to pay a "hybrid" fee on their registration to make up for the gas taxes they aren't paying.
Your statement appears to say that EVs "pay gas taxes" and do not pay gas taxes. I am confused by your statement, and unclear on how any EV can pay a gas tax since an EV does not use gas.

Your statement appears to say that EVs "pay gas taxes" and do not pay gas taxes. I am confused by your statement, and unclear on how any EV can pay a gas tax since an EV does not use gas.

Plug-in hybrids would be hit at both ends of this. They still buy gasoline, so they would pay the regular gas taxes at the pump. And they will be charged a $30 surcharge PLUS a $17 "gas tax" on their registration. BEVs are being charged a $100 surcharge PLUS a $35 "gas tax".

So the EV's in MI do now have to pay a gas tax, its just added to their registration fees.

California has a road charge pilot program in the final phase, so at some point we will have a fee for all vehicles. It is unclear as to how that will be calculated they have several ideas that they are testing with around 5000 people giving there input. Individuals will probably have several ways to pay, a yearly fee or mileage driven most probable. The only problem that I have is all that money collected needs to go to road maintenance and repair and not the general fund as it is now. In California we pay some of the highest percentage of gas tax for road maintenance and have some of the worst roads so to many have their hands in the kitty. It will be interesting how this finally pans out, I would bet that gas tax does not get removed from the current system when the new fee is implemented.

I have a problem with charging EVs a flat fee while ICEVs pay according to amount of fuel used because neither system is accurate nor fair.

I think you were already saying this, but the gas tax isn't very fair. MPG isn't a good representation of road use nor wear. My 12 MPG sports car is smaller and lighter than many SUV's that get better economy, but I pay more because the engine is inefficient. Which is fair if the point of a fuel tax is to limit CO2 emissions, but not if it's about road wear or building new roads.

Washington has a $100 a year EV tax. Gas tax is 49.4 cents a gallon. So $100 is 202 gallons, which is only 2,400 miles at 12MPG or 6,000 miles at 30 MPG. Seems like a reasonable fee given almost ICE gas car would pay more per year. It's highly likely you'd pay more under a non-flat system.

The problem I have with EV taxes, is the false pretense that it is a reasonable effort to make things equivalent or fair.

I'm fine with the EV "gas" tax as soon as, and note this is not even a tax but a subsidy elimination, ICE start paying even one fee to neutralize their human health or environmental impacts. Such as...asthma mitigation cost nuetralization, or particulate reduction reimbursement.

Oregon is talking about an EV tax.
Washington has an EV "gas tax" for road maintenance in the form of a $150 (for 2017) annual vehicle renewal fee. (Was $100 last year). Ah well, I don't gripe too much as I want the roads maintained too. BTW, the WA gas tax with up 10% to 49.4 cents/gal so ICE cars are paying more too. I just hope they actually FIX THE **#%Y ROADS here with this money!

Reactions: GSP
Looking at Colorado gas tax, $100-150 per year would be reasonable for most drivers. Colorado is slowly increasing the yearly EV charge, I think it was $35 last year. Colorado is also testing a per mile tax similar to California's test.