Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Winter driving in a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, I'm impressed!

There is no other way to start this thread. We just received a few inches of snow here in Michigan and I have to say, the S handles better then I ever thought it would in the snow. FYI, I'm in a 75D with stock 19's and all-season tires.

My favorite driving characteristics in snow:
- Chill mode allows the driver a degree of modulation that CANNOT be found in a gas car today.
- Traction control on acceleration is stunningly good.
- When fishtailing on a turn the car is remarkably good at returning control to the driver and keeping a more consistent heading

Only the first short winter drive, but I felt the need to share because this car just keeps getting more impressive every day I drive it! Thank you Tesla!

Anyone else have a great winter driving experience they would like to share?

Cheers

Even with chill mode off, you can floor the go pedal and the wheels will not spin... even on glazed ice.

Even with RWD cars like mine - it's tops at keeping to the intended line of travel. You cannot spin out the rear end by goosing the go pedal. If in doubt, just keep pointing the steering wheel where you want the car to go.. and hang on.

Regen is remarkable even on ice, it will not grab or slip but simply "lets go" when icy patches are detected so the car does not get tossed into a slide when decelerating. You can leave regen on standard or low setting, it reacts the same on ice. You can tell when you're regenning over icy patches because the orange regen bar bob up and down like a yo-yo as the car gains traction and loses it repeatedly, as long as icy patches remain.

Nothing short of amazing.

Like I say, my RWD Tesla is better in winter driving than my AWD Subaru... and I'm not kidding a bit.

I can only imagine the additional benefits of a dual motor Tesla like you have... One thing for sure, it's easier to get the D models going from a stop. RWD cars will sometimes have trouble starting to go from a stop when on sheer ice surfaces that are slightly inclined. Sometimes it's necessary to turn OFF traction control (we have the button) to coax the car into trying to move... then pray hard that something "bites" and you s-l-o-w-l-y get moving...

Last edited:
I grew up in Michigan (and I miss the winter weather). Around here, the best we've got is Tahoe, where driving there in the winter is often a foot of snow per hour on a 20% inclined curvy highway.... So, plenty of opportunity to put my Tesla to the test.

I would agree with you -- one of the "worst" part about driving an ICE in the snow is when an unexpected transmission kick down happens, or the poor modulation of throttle at low speeds. That seems virtually gone in an EV. I've always loved the way that Quattro handled in higher-end Audi vehicles, but I am pretty confident that my S100D runs circles around that.

Still miss having winter in my backyard though. Now I have to drive 3 hours to hunt down a snowstorm.

Regen is remarkable even on ice, it will not grab or slip but simply "lets go" when icy patches are detected so the car does not get tossed into a slide when decelerating. You can leave regen on standard or low setting, it reacts the same on ice. You can tell when you're regenning over icy patches because the orange regen bar bob up and down like a yo-yo as the car gains traction and loses it repeatedly, as long as icy patches remain

This didn't used to be the case. Originally regen did cause some fishtailing and problems on ice, But it looks like they fixed it.

Yes, I had reported a holy sh*t moment of rear grab/slip regen on ice using the first version of software in the V7 series (the one right after 6.2)... but haven't been able to re-create the moment for maybe a couple winters now. Thank goodness.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on what you compare it to. Compared to a Subaru, I can see how it can seem impressive. I have had 5 Subarus and I always preferred driving my SAABs in winter due to lack of control in the Subies. Compared to my rear wheel drive BMW 550i with manual transmission, it is much less impressive. Due to tires, I am sure. Nokian Hakkas on the bimmer, Nokian A/S on the MS.

[Monty Python Voice]Michigan winter driving! Luxury! You should try Canadian winter driving![/Monty Python Voice]

I never, ever switch my P85D with Ludicrous mode off of Ludicrous and it handles wonderfully in the snow, like the several inches we had on the ground this morning.

This morning, awoke to 3-4 inches of the white stuff. Commute into work on main roads, highways, side streets...many not yet plowed. The combination of AWD, direct drive, amazing torque control and overall weight make the MS a dream to drive in snow. Mind you, my car is setup with all-season tires where-as I always mounted Blizzak snow tires on my BMW.

Breaking/stopping is similar to any other car and you must be mindful of how the regenerative breaking system can create a skid similar to hard breaking; might want to adjust that setting to "low" in the snow.

And, as always...you can do everything right and some other driver still create a mess.

Stay safe!

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
I went from a RWD IS350 to the my S90D and what a difference. I have snows on my S90D, but it is a real pig in the winter. So much better than what I expected!!! Love it!
I used to have an IS350 as well and that was not a good car in the snow. We get an early dump of snow one year before I put the winter tires on and I couldn't get up a modest hill.

But my AWD Model S is awesome in the snow.

Reactions: Struja
I used to have an IS350 as well and that was not a good car in the snow. We get an early dump of snow one year before I put the winter tires on and I couldn't get up a modest hill.

But my AWD Model S is awesome in the snow.

I loved that car for 8-9 months of the year and hated it in the winter. I had Blizzak's on my IS350 and now I have X-Ice 3's on the S and not only do I think they are better tires, the car is soooo much better in the winter, it's crazy. I have had to turn around from many hills on snow days with the old IS350.

Now, the Tesla is better than my wife's RX350 with snow tires.

This didn't used to be the case. Originally regen did cause some fishtailing and problems on ice, But it looks like they fixed it.

Really? Interesting. i use the original all-season Michelins because I rarely need to drive in fresh snow. But I have had a couple of occasions in past winters in which I have made 90 degree turns, such as coming out of a parking lot and turning onto a street, when the car will slide sideways on snow, just like any other. So i would not be too cocky, you can slide.
See Bjorn's videos -- plenty where he does donuts in a parking lot, slides on icy slopes, gets stuck in snow. It is good but not impervious to snow and ice.

My p90d constantly slips and skids on turns in light snow. Michelin factory tires are installed with lots of tread life. not sure what issue is but this car is dangerous in current state on snow or ice. I have to have techs look at it because not safe to drive even in slight dusting conditions.

Wow, I'm impressed!

There is no other way to start this thread. We just received a few inches of snow here in Michigan and I have to say, the S handles better then I ever thought it would in the snow. FYI, I'm in a 75D with stock 19's and all-season tires.

My favorite driving characteristics in snow:
- Chill mode allows the driver a degree of modulation that CANNOT be found in a gas car today.
- Traction control on acceleration is stunningly good.
- When fishtailing on a turn the car is remarkably good at returning control to the driver and keeping a more consistent heading

Only the first short winter drive, but I felt the need to share because this car just keeps getting more impressive every day I drive it! Thank you Tesla!

Anyone else have a great winter driving experience they would like to share?

Cheers

I'd look into a set of all weather tires like the Michelin CrossClimate Plus or Goodyear Assurance weatherready.

Basically they're a more snow focused all season that'll give you a bit more winter traction without the noise and swapping of a dedicated winter tire. We just put some on my dad's SUV in MI and they were great in fresh snow.

So, I will be making a few trips to Tahoe this winter. I guess I would have to carry chains, but does this mean that I can drive around in all seasons / summer tires in light snow ?

I go up to Mammoth with chains and all seasons, works great.

My stock 19's are pretty crap on snow though so be prepared to chain up early. See my post above about better all season tires.

Also in Michigan
I ordered my P100D with 21s, but bought a "New Takeoff" set of 19s with the GoodYear All Seasons. The car is great in Michigan. I had thought about Snow Tires for the 2nd Set, but coming from a Camaro SS RWD with Snow Tires as my Winter Car I figured AWD & All Season would be just fine. It is, Stopping is Better with the Snow Tires, but the Roads are Clear or Just Wet far more than they are Icemor Snow Covered.