Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped by the proposed Terrace Bay SC location today and there's still no sign of construction.
Based on what we are seeing under construction and just using logic, I would expect the stretch between the Sault and Winnipeg to be connected last as it serves little other purpose other than just completing the TCH. Connecting Calgary to Regina and Winnipeg serves some decent population centres as well as making better connections to the US. Connecting Sudbury to the Sault makes for much more convenient travel to and around the Great Lakes and opens up a lot of better connections to different parts of the US.

Right now people in Alberta who want to go to the central or eastern parts of the continent need to drive west first. And people in Ontario and Quebec who want to go to the western part of the continent need to drive south first. Completing these two relatively small areas will make this style of road tripping much more reasonable.

While taking the TCH through Northwestern Ontario might be a fun drive, it is almost never the fastest route between any reasonable population centres. Even when driving a route like Kenora to Sault Ste. Marie, it is basically a wash in terms of time whether you try to drive through the US or drive through Ontario (in an ICE).

Last edited:
Based on what we are seeing under construction and just using logic, I would expect the stretch between the Sault and Winnipeg to be connected last as it serves little other purpose other than just completing the TCH. Connecting Calgary to Regina and Winnipeg serves some decent population centres as well as making better connections to the US. Connecting Sudbury to the Sault makes for much more convenient travel to and around the Great Lakes and opens up a lot of better connections to different parts of the US.

Right now people in Alberta who want to go to the central or eastern parts of the continent need to drive west first. And people in Ontario and Quebec who want to go to the western part of the continent need to drive south first. Completing these two relatively small areas will make this style of road tripping much more reasonable.

While taking the TCH through Northwestern Ontario might be a fun drive, it is almost never the fastest route between any reasonable population centres. Even when driving a route like Kenora to Sault Ste. Marie, it is basically a wash in terms of time whether you try to drive through the US or drive through Ontario (in an ICE).
Thunder Bay is >100K people and outside winter reach of SC network still.

No point getting to WINNIPEG from the westuntil they build Pembina, Fargo and Alexandria or the TCH. Still can’t get anywhere from here. From Winnipeg to Calgary OTOH would be another way to get to civilization from WINNIPeg. Alternatively in summer I could (maybe) make it to Fargo and charge overnight there.

No point getting to WINNIPEG from the westuntil they build Pembina, Fargo and Alexandria or the TCH. Still can’t get anywhere from here. From Winnipeg to Calgary OTOH would be another way to get to civilization from WINNIPeg. Alternatively in summer I could (maybe) make it to Fargo and charge overnight there.

There’s a Chademo in Fargo that I used last Christmas going south from the peg. Depending on what you’re driving, i would recommend it. If you’re in a 3, then yes, hope for Grand Forks or Fargo Superchargers. In an X or especially an S, it’s fairly easy to reach.

There’s a Chademo in Fargo that I used last Christmas going south from the peg. Depending on what you’re driving, i would recommend it. If you’re in a 3, then yes, hope for Grand Forks or Fargo Superchargers. In an X or especially an S, it’s fairly easy to reach.
Slower route if headed S or W, but Prawda would be reasonable summer jump to Duluth by bumping at the Sun Country Highway 10kW in Fort Frances . I used it yesterday for safety but I could have just reached Duluth from Kenora w/full SOC.

But cheater bumps of any sort are substandard experience

Last edited:
I assume they will build Fargo soon as well, but I disagree about there being no point to build from Calgary to Winnipeg. I can just about guarantee you that someone driving from Calgary to say Chicago or Toronto would much rather suffer the inconvenience of overnighting in Fargo vs. driving through BC and WA.

I assume they will build Fargo soon as well, but I disagree about there being no point to build from Calgary to Winnipeg. I can just about guarantee you that someone driving from Calgary to say Chicago or Toronto would much rather suffer the inconvenience of overnighting in Fargo vs. driving through BC and WA.
Like me who's driving from Nova Scotia to BC right now. I didn't want to go through the states for various reasons.

In a Tesla? Vlog, please. :)
Yes I am interested as well! In fact, I was just going to ask if anyone has already done the TCH in a Tesla. I'm sure someone has, but not sure if they documented it at all on this forum or somewhere else online.

While I eagerly anticipate the opening of all the superchargers, part of me was thinking it might be fun to make such a trip pre-supercharger build out. Same goes for the Alaska Highway which I have been wanting to drive again every year about this time for the 3 years I've owned a Tesla :)

Yes I am interested as well! In fact, I was just going to ask if anyone has already done the TCH in a Tesla. I'm sure someone has, but not sure if they documented it at all on this forum or somewhere else online.

While I eagerly anticipate the opening of all the superchargers, part of me was thinking it might be fun to make such a trip pre-supercharger build out. Same goes for the Alaska Highway which I have been wanting to drive again every year about this time for the 3 years I've owned a Tesla :)
The very first EV cross country trip ever was done a decade ago with a Tesla Roadster, using a lot of L1 and L2 chargers. I believe it was sponsored in part or affiliated with Sun Country Chargers and was the publicity event to get them going.

(Edit) Here you go:
Sun Country Highway Cross-Canada Tour

2012 for this one. I had thought that there was an earlier trip, but I can't find it.

Last edited:
Reactions: RiverBrick
The very first EV cross country trip ever was done a decade ago with a Tesla Roadster, using a lot of L1 and L2 chargers. I believe it was sponsored in part or affiliated with Sun Country Chargers and was the publicity event to get them going.

(Edit) Here you go:
Sun Country Highway Cross-Canada Tour

2012 for this one. I had thought that there was an earlier trip, but I can't find it.
There was a Model X that did the cross Canada run a couple years back. They towed a trailer doing it. Husband and wife team, although their names escape me. They posted clip on YouTube as they went.

There was a Model X that did the cross Canada run a couple years back. They towed a trailer doing it. Husband and wife team, although their names escape me. They posted clip on YouTube as they went.
Same guys that @Gwgan posted just above. Silke & Rolf if I remember correctly.
There was also Bolt Across Canada, but that was a blog, not a vlog,
and there’s this article I found on CBC yesterday, if anyone’s interested: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/electric-car-roadtrip-america-1.5201763

Reactions: SammichLover

Having done Calgary to Chicago, I WISH the TransCan was complete. But as I said, I was thankful for the Chademo in Fargo too.

Having done Calgary to Chicago, I WISH the TransCan was complete. But as I said, I was thankful for the Chademo in Fargo too.
If I was driving in an ICE between those two I probably wouldn't even enter Manitoba. Having a SC near the Portal crossing makes about as much sense as Pembina/Emerson. That's a really busy crossing, too.

As it is Regina to Dickerson/Bismark isn't easy but the Evanston Peaveymart makes it doable in a LR Model 3/100D with about 3hrs extra time.

If I was driving in an ICE between those two I probably wouldn't even enter Manitoba. Having a SC near the Portal crossing makes about as much sense as Pembina/Emerson. That's a really busy crossing, too.

As it is Regina to Dickerson/Bismark isn't easy but the Evanston Peaveymart makes it doable in a LR Model 3/100D with about 3hrs extra time.

I always stop to visit family in Winnipeg. So that part of my route is basically immutable.

• Informative
Reactions: SammichLover