Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Blue, white interior, sport wheels, EAP.

Interesting how many people are foregoing EAP. I would have already ordered long range RWD if they had allowed white interior as an option. I’m perfectly happy with mid range and saving the money, but EAP is definitely a priority.

Interesting how many people are foregoing EAP. I would have already ordered long range RWD if they had allowed white interior as an option. I’m perfectly happy with mid range and saving the money, but EAP is definitely a priority.

We have EAP on our family travel vehicle, and the MR3 will mostly be a commuter vehicle (a commute where AP wouldn't really be used). Great thing about EAP is that it can be added later.

I think EAP is a big reason to own a Tesla but I’ll up you one and admit that I had them add FSD, call me crazy but I think it will pay for itself with the free upgrade when they finally launch the new computer.

Folks in the Bay Area have been receiving LR RWD in less than 10 days. So it definitely helps to pick up in Fremont.

Did they update the order details in your Tesla account? I went to the showroom for the order change, but the order on my Tesla account still hasn’t updated.

I had them “manually” change my previous configuration too. My Tesla account still shows the previous configuration which makes me a little nervous because I don’t want to end up at the end of the line with the ~6-10 week wait. I see some tax credit/delivery anxiety ahead for some of the MR orders.

Not to be a downer, but I fully expect some MR orders to deliver in 2019. Look at how many are still will waiting on AWD from months ago... I'm expecting the end of the year to be quite a spectacle, both good and bad, even more than usual for Tesla.

Ordered MR but then called and was able to update to LR. Tesla said this is the last week to do it.

MR, Midnight Silver Metallic, Aero Wheels, No EAP.

I am not ordering EAP till I have full confidence that I can take my hands off the wheel and eyes off the road. Until then, it’s not worth $5K.

For those who ordered last week and will order next two weeks, I am very optimistic Tesla will deliver these by end of the year. Some thoughts.
  • RWD Config-Delivery times have been extremely short, demand is still strong for AWD/P.
  • We basically have 6 weeks for first delivery of Medium Range. They are building close to 5K per week, which means 30K vehicles will be produced between now (Oct 23) and then.
  • Roughly 30K VINS have been registered with NHTSA last two weeks and seems like about half are RWD. This is reversing the trend as most recent VIN registrations have been AWD. Since RWD LR has been discontinued, I am guessing many of these new VINs are for the MR.
  • I can’t imagine there are 15,000 configurations last week and this week for MR… if you ordered, chances are your vehicle will be built within next 2 weeks or so. Some Californians may get theirs before Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: remlemasi
MR, Midnight Silver Metallic, Aero Wheels, No EAP.

I am not ordering EAP till I have full confidence that I can take my hands off the wheel and eyes off the road. Until then, it’s not worth $5K.

For those who ordered last week and will order next two weeks, I am very optimistic Tesla will deliver these by end of the year. Some thoughts.
  • RWD Config-Delivery times have been extremely short, demand is still strong for AWD/P.
  • We basically have 6 weeks for first delivery of Medium Range. They are building close to 5K per week, which means 30K vehicles will be produced between now (Oct 23) and then.
  • Roughly 30K VINS have been registered with NHTSA last two weeks and seems like about half are RWD. This is reversing the trend as most recent VIN registrations have been AWD. Since RWD LR has been discontinued, I am guessing many of these new VINs are for the MR.
  • I can’t imagine there are 15,000 configurations last week and this week for MR… if you ordered, chances are your vehicle will be built within next 2 weeks or so. Some Californians may get theirs before Thanksgiving.

I would tend to agree with your break down, the most optimistic part is, like you said, all RWD being produced should be mostly MR so all these new RWD VINs are promising!

Newbie here! (Both to Tesla and purchasing a car o_O)

I placed my order on October 18th:

Mid-range with rear wheel drive.
Midnight Silver with black interior.
18’’ aero wheels and I plan to remove the caps for city driving.
Enhanced auto pilot.

Now to figure out insurance. I've never had insurance, but I also can't purchase insurance until I have a VIN. I don't know if I'll be delayed in receiving a VIN until I can prove insurance. I'm a bit lost on this one.

Newbie here! (Both to Tesla and purchasing a car o_O)

I placed my order on October 18th:

Mid-range with rear wheel drive.
Midnight Silver with black interior.
18’’ aero wheels and I plan to remove the caps for city driving.
Enhanced auto pilot.

Now to figure out insurance. I've never had insurance, but I also can't purchase insurance until I have a VIN. I don't know if I'll be delayed in receiving a VIN until I can prove insurance. I'm a bit lost on this one.

You will receive a VIN before delivery. Based on what I have read about LR orders, some folks have been receiving their VIN 1-2 weeks prior to delivery. I received my Model S VIN probably 2w prior to delivery.

Hi, i am one that passed on EAP when ordering my RWD, medium range, black with upgraded rims model 3. My thought process was if I got EAP the total amount of the car would be over the max amount my states 3k rebate offered for EV vehicles ( it was just updated with this cap a few weeks ago ).

So I love to drive , always have. I don't feel i will miss the EAP too much at first. But in the event i flip out and totally need it I will have that state rebate to cover 50% of the after purchase cost ;>

Now I hope we get our cars before 1/1/19. Doug

You will receive a VIN before delivery. Based on what I have read about LR orders, some folks have been receiving their VIN 1-2 weeks prior to delivery. I received my Model S VIN probably 2w prior to delivery.

The layout of the account page makes it seem like insurance is necessary for the order to continue. The user experience, largely due to the UI, isn't as clear as it could be. Thanks for the feedback!

The layout of the account page makes it seem like insurance is necessary for the order to continue. The user experience, largely due to the UI, isn't as clear as it could be. Thanks for the feedback!

You can get quotes now. Once you select your policy and when you get your VIN, you can sign up for the policy and they'll send you a temporary policy slip which you can upload to your Tesla Account. Before delivery day or even day of, activate your policy and they'll start charging and you should be good to go.