Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading this I went and checked again - and I have access to the referral information as well! It was definitely not there this afternoon, so a very recent change. Progress!

I ordered 10/23 and submitted on 10/25.

Just checked and the app is now working as well.

Here’s my experience so far.

Ordered the cheapest configurable MR (black/black, std. wheels, no EAP) on 10/19 when the base price was still $45K. Neither a reservation holder nor a prior Tesla car owner. No trade-in and no financing. Pretty straightforward order.

Within a couple of minutes of paying $2,500 via ApplePay, I uploaded DL and proof of insurance. Ever since then, the Tesla account page has shown me the “We are drafting up your contract ...” message. Never saw the Edit Design button. The referral code has been there all along too. My iPhone Tesla app has always worked, including the loot box.

The next day, I emailed my local store’s sales rep (or whatever fancy title they have) my own referral code and asked him to attach it to my order. He did and the following day, my referral info showed that my code was used for an order by me. I guess it is a loophole that I used my own referral code, but it seemed to have worked. Tesla probably doesn’t care. All this referral nonsense is a marketing gimmick anyway. But I digress...

Interestingly, the only way to know if an order has the 6-month free supercharging is to see it on the referrer’s referral info / loot box.

I am hoping Tesla takes its own sweet time and delivers the car as late into December as possible. We really don’t need the car for a few more months until another EV lease expires, but we figured we might as well order the MR when the tax credit is full.

Meanwhile, I’m having some DIY fun getting ready for the car. Ordered and installed a Tesla Wall Connector outdoors where I’m building a new carport and an automated gate for access. Ordered Tesla All Weather floormats, a 12V compressor, road flares, warning triangles, and tire repair kit.

It has been an extended early Christmas gift season for my wife and I. She gets the car and I get to order toys and build stuff. Feeling very thankful and lucky that we can afford all this.

Reactions: johnny chimpo
I order 10/18, reservation holder, uploaded everything they asked for and will be paying cash. Never had the edit button, just "we are drafting your contract". However my Tesla sp still says you have no products linked to your account. With so many people's apps being activated after ordering, should I be concerned that my tesla app still has no vehicle linked?

I order 10/18, reservation holder, uploaded everything they asked for and will be paying cash. Never had the edit button, just "we are drafting your contract". However my Tesla sp still says you have no products linked to your account. With so many people's apps being activated after ordering, should I be concerned that my tesla app still has no vehicle linked?

I'm in the same boat. Ordered night of and can't get into app and no referral code online. I think there was a glitch a few nights ago that allowed some people in (some received emails about their order changing). I'm hopeful it doesn't mean there's anything going on with our orders, and they'll still be filled ASAP.

I'm also waiting to see what they'll offer for trade in and financing, so I don't have the "submit" button to click.

Every day that passes without more VINs going out, I get a little nervous out here on the East coast for the rebate. 59 days until 2019.

You guys are reading way way too much into this (I can’t blame you lol). Your individual OAs also have ability to add/delete stuff from your order pages like changing address or delete particular delivery center, add/delete uploaded docs, etc). All these buttons, app access may just have to do with that.

Reactions: Badshirt
Hey everyone -- I am with you all. I ordered the next day MR came out on 10/19 (white exterior, black interior, Aero wheels, no EAP), and submitted all my information with the hour after I ordered the car. I'm also paying cash. I'm a day 3 reservation holder, located in Los Angeles, and my account hasn't moved at all, either: no Tesla app functionality, and nothing in my account is manageable (i.e., no referral code) or editable.

Still, with all that being said -- while hearing that other people's accounts have different options than my own is a bit concerning, sure -- I'd imagine with the next two weeks or so (maybe?) there should start to be some major movement as we get into mid-November.

Crossing my fingers for all of you, too!

You guys are reading way way too much into this (I can’t blame you lol). Your individual OAs also have ability to add/delete stuff from your order pages like changing address or delete particular delivery center, add/delete uploaded docs, etc). All these buttons, app access may just have to do with that.

I don’t beleive everyone has OA assigned. It depends on your delivery location and time to delivery and other things. Below status is what most of us can see.

Next Steps

We are drafting up your contract and will contact you when you can make your final payment.

I am a little confused with this whole process, i have the screen like MG-MD posted... but i have not uploaded my insurance as you need to have a VIN number before that is issued by my insurance, I dont need to finish this page for them to start building my car, right? Is there an example from someone that has a VIN issues? where do you see that on this screen? So nervous something is in my court and i dont know it.
Tesla is absolutely terrible about this. They will accept any proof that you have car insurance on other cars.

But if you currently don't own a car,
you will have to get on the phone for days and politely yell at them until you get a VIN number, because you need a VIN number for at least one car in order to get insurance issued. The insurance companies won't issue you an insurance policy with zero cars.

This has been a problem since before I got my Model S in 2013, and the brain-damaged morons at Tesla HQ *still* haven't fixed it, because they're idiots.

In my case it was fixed by someone working at a store located in NY; the fools at the central office were so dumb they were incapable of understanding that I couldn't get insurance without a VIN number in NY. The guy in NY understood how NY law worked, and he got me what I needed. If he hadn't, I would have been unable to buy the car.

Last edited:
Myself a day 1, pre-unveil reservation holder. Ordered 10/20.

Midnight Silver
Aero wheels
White interior
No EAP
Did not use a code so will try the trick with using my own.

The moment I placed the order I could login to Tesla app and see referral code. Then 4-5 days later lost access, called and they reset something on their end and after 2-3 days was able to login again. Have no trade in (actually have one but I should be able to sell for better price? How fair are Tesla on trade in?), uploaded current insurance, chose financing so don't have all 4 check boxes. Think it said I have to take delivery at home after entering address but can't find this information now in my account. Based on someone else's comments above, will see if I can instead take delivery in the service center. When I called to ask for help to log back in, was told we should have an agent assigned within 2 weeks from reservation and that they usually call. No one called me so far, had a few random number calls while at work but they didn't leave message.

Also think Tesla can do better on keeping is updated with their progress on our cars. The web page is very unclear as to next steps and can really be crafted better to indicate what if anything is outstanding on our end and when we have to just wait. Wouldn't it be great to see "Your part is all done, now just wait patiently" just under the car photo?

Is Ivan the only mid range car owner that have posted here? Want to hear more on acceleration. Never test drove a M3 so will have the 3 day return but will I use it if it feels slow? Driving a Gen 1 Volt now so used to electric car's acceleration.

Sorry for double post but could not find edit button, maybe because of new user rules?

Anyway, where does one see if they have 6 months supercharger free access? Have not used a referral but will ask them to add and want to check when they do.

Tesla is absolutely terrible about this. They will accept any proof that you have car insurance on other cars.

you will have to get on the phone for days and politely yell at them until you get a VIN number, because you need a VIN number for at least one car in order to get insurance issued. The insurance companies won't issue you an insurance policy with zero cars.

This has been a problem since before I got my Model S in 2013, and the brain-damaged morons at Tesla HQ *still* haven't fixed it, because they're idiots.

In my case it was fixed by someone working at a store located in NY; the fools at the central office were so dumb they were incapable of understanding that I couldn't get insurance without a VIN number in NY. The guy in NY understood how NY law worked, and he got me what I needed. If he hadn't, I would have been unable to buy the car.

@neroden, if you don't have a car or existing insurance, don't you simply wait until Tesla gives you a VIN for your car ahead of delivery, and then you add insurance? I keep seeing people adding their existing insurance to get all of the box checked, but I don't think that moves the timing of a person getting car, does it? As I've understood it (and the experience of my friends who have Teslas), once you order and pay $2500, your process is in the works and you don't have much influence on the delivery process after that (except for maybe delaying a delivery).

I find it hard to believe that a person who doesn't have a car couldn't get a Tesla because they couldn't provide proof of insurance from an existing car.

Seems more an issue with convoluted insurance regulations that can vary state-by-state, to me.

Checked my account for the bazzilionth time and was prompted to enter trade in details and apply for financing. Edit button is now gone.

Anyone else in same boat? Any issues submitting photos for trade in? When I try, I'm getting "unable to save your data at this time. Please report the issue or try again later." I already resized them down to under 500MB each.

Edit: I took the URL they texted me and typed it into my PC and same photos (actually larger ones) submitted fine. I called Tesla before I figured that out and lady confirmed I have a car assigned to me and I should get a call this week!

Last edited:
Anyway, where does one see if they have 6 months supercharger free access? Have not used a referral but will ask them to add and want to check when they do.

I am in a similar situation. I ordered 10/21 but forgot to use a referral code. I read that you can call and have one added, but they would only let you do that within 48 hours. We are both well beyond that 48 hour window. I never tried calling or anything. I just saw comments on another board about the topic. It would be nice to have 6 months free, but I'll probably end up charging at home most of the time anyway. If you learn anything, let me know. I'll do the same.

I don't know the latest requirements and Model 3 specific purchase procedures, but when I ordered my Model S last year, I didn't have to submit my insurance, trade-in info or apply for financing until after the car was in its final stages of production and the delivery date was set. Loan applications often need to be done within 30 days of delivery, otherwise the quotes wouldn't be valid, so I didn't know whether I would go with Tesla financing until the last month. I started shopping for insurance about 2 weeks before the delivery date and the trade-in decision was made just a few days in advance. No problems! Overall, it was the easiest car purchase experience!

What you can't do at the last moment, is changing your car configuration: you will have to pay a configuration change fee ($500 if I remember correctly). Even if it's just a software change. For example, I wanted to add the FSD option at the last moment, but they refused to do it without me paying the $500 fee, so I ended up not adding it (though I've heard others were able to get that fee waived).

.... where does one see if they have 6 months supercharger free access? Have not used a referral but will ask them to add and want to check when they do.

To the best of my knowledge, the Tesla Account screens don’t show that information for the person who ordered. However, it does show it on the referrer’s screen..

EDIT: Sorry, I’m somewhat new to this forum. I’m not even sure there is a PM feature here.

Last edited by a moderator: