Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was originally planning for a SR anyway, so that's what I would have gotten.

Plus, if it could charge at the higher rate, I would be tempted to spend more money and get the wall charger :)

Yep, that's how i'm viewing it too. I was planning for SR+PUP, and now I got it but with the (more) range i was hoping for before they announced the original two range options. All good for me. :)

Is anyone else bothered that the MR has a charger that charges at max rate of 7.5kW vs. 11.5kW for LR?
They did not disclose this at the time of order.

Onboard Charger

From my experience driving the MX in the Midwest the requirement of more than 7kW (excluding SCs) has been extremely rare. So, while it would have been welcome information, it would have had no impact on our decision to order.

I agree. I’m kind of disappointed as well, this cars price is no where close to SR version... 4K more and we get more range and better specs.

At this point I am contiplating I’m getting a used S 75 battery. At least we get free supercharging and luxury.

Online registration prior to reveal
Ordered Oct 21
Midnight silver
Aeros
No EAP
Central Ohio

Got referral code almost instantly and app access but nothing since then. Actually there was a mistake last week when I got an updated price after the price went up but called and they said it was a glitch. Nothing since then... Seems contact from DM is random...

Is anyone else bothered that the MR has a charger that charges at max rate of 7.5kW vs. 11.5kW for LR?

I know this means that a 14-50 plug (at 50A) would make the Mobile Connector charge at 32A/7.7kW (30 miles of range per hour of charge).

Does this also mean that if I have a 60A circuit going to a HPWC dip-switched to 48A/11.5kW, that the mid-range will still only charge at 30 miles per hour? (versus a LR that would charge at 44 miles per hour)?

I know this means that a 14-50 plug (at 50A) would make the Mobile Connector charge at 32A/7.7kW (30 miles of range per hour of charge).

Does this also mean that if I have a 60A circuit going to a HPWC dip-switched to 48A/11.5kW, that the mid-range will still only charge at 30 miles per hour? (versus a LR that would charge at 44 miles per hour)?
Correct.

hqdefault.jpg

Just signed up. I am a day 1 reservation holder, online in NY the night they unveiled the Model 3. When the MR came out I took about a day or two and decided to sign up. No options, just black with aero wheels.

I just got a text about a Dec 4 scheduled appt at the dealership near me in NY, as well as an update on my tesla page that shows that date and place with the time as well. Can't wait!

At this point I am contiplating I’m getting a used S 75

Keep in mind that Model 3 is way more efficient than Model S or X, so at 7.7 kW Model 3 gets about the same range per hour of charging as Model X or S would get at 11.5 kW: about 30 mph.

In other words, if 50- and 60-Amp circuits are sufficient for Model S and Model X charging, then 40-Amp circuits will be equally sufficient for Model 3 charging. The charging time will be about the same.

Last edited:
For overnight charging, 7.5 is plenty fast.

My Volt only does 3.3KW and is far less efficient car than the Model 3. It takes more energy to go less miles.

I wonder if its a software limited charger just out of curiosity, but Tesla has to keep motivating people to go up to higher premium builds.

Just signed up. I am a day 1 reservation holder, online in NY the night they unveiled the Model 3. When the MR came out I took about a day or two and decided to sign up. No options, just black with aero wheels.

I just got a text about a Dec 4 scheduled appt at the dealership near me in NY, as well as an update on my tesla page that shows that date and place with the time as well. Can't wait!
Manhasset?
Good news for east coast. Hopefully my non res order will be processed soon