Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now it easily could be they aren’t actively enforcing that you must already have a post-delivery Tesla product, but overall, self-referrals are indeed permitted.
So do you think that they would add my own referral code if this was my first Tesla? I ordered the model 3 MR waiting on delivery and have access to my own code already. I know it is cheating the system but worth a shot maybe

So, Monday people were getting delivery texts all day long. Today and yesterday have been hardly anything. I was thinking after how Monday was, that this whole week would be non stop with delivery texts.

I am sure deliveries and confirmations are happening. Not everyone would be savvy enough to be on these forums. But I heard some confirmations yesterday.

So do you think that they would add my own referral code if this was my first Tesla? I ordered the model 3 MR waiting on delivery and have access to my own code already. I know it is cheating the system but worth a shot maybe

No clue. I suspect that they simply have it set up that on the front-end you need to follow a referral link for it to apply. To have a referral link, you need to be far enough along in the process. They probably are not worried if you have someone apply it on the back-end and leaving that to the discretion of the employee applying the referral code.

tl;dr: It is doubtful Tesla is doing anything except putting a roadblock to getting your code appied initially. If you get it done, they probably won’t take it away.

It’s likely these types of variables (delays on the intramodal transfers) that produce the “long” delivery time to Hawaii. And Tesla hopefully is giving you worst case (under-promise, then over-deliver). How much is your delivery charge? Our CONUS (Continental US) freight/doc fee is $1,200; guessing yours is significantly higher? If not, even more reason why Tesla would be trying to save money with cheaper/slower freight carriers. Lots of points where a shipment might get backed up, especially at the ports (Oakland & Honolulu). Good luck!

The destination fee is $1200 regardless of where in the US it is shipped to. If you pick up at Fremont, you still pay the $1200 fee. Actual cost to ship a vehicle to Honolulu is on the order of $900.

• Helpful
Reactions: 2012MS85
Is there really a difference between in just waiting after submitting and answering all the questions vs having it say the contract is drafting? If so, I will switch my finance option to cash like the rest of you (and finance thru a CU).

Also it appears there is a different UI and no edit button. Are those clear markers that progress is taking place or do we all just have zero clue?

Users with VIN's can you describe what your experience was and if there was validation to getting the edit button to disappear?

Is there really a difference between in just waiting after submitting and answering all the questions vs having it say the contract is drafting? If so, I will switch my finance option to cash like the rest of you (and finance thru a CU).

Also it appears there is a different UI and no edit button. Are those clear markers that progress is taking place or do we all just have zero clue?

Users with VIN's can you describe what your experience was and if there was validation to getting the edit button to disappear?

My edit button disappeared only an hour or so before I got a text with a delivery date. As soon as it disappeared, I was also able to submit trade in details and apply for financing. It happened very fast (though my delivery date was 3.5 weeks out), so I wouldn't be super discouraged yet if you didn't hear anything.

Edit button gone is farce IMO. I can still edit using backdoor link and I ordered on 20th and have no prior reservation delivered to East Coast PA. I think you can edit as long as you don’t have VIN match. Google Tesla backdoor edit link. Pretty straightforward to check.

I don't believe it matters much.

Ordered 2 days after release, and filled out all but one checkmark--edit button visible. After no action for two weeks, I added the last checkmark (just to make sure that wasn't holding it up), and submitted. Edit button instantly disappeared and text switched to contracting. This was two days ago. Cash payment method selected from day 1.

Like others mentioned, I don't think changing the options and submitting changes progress. I switched to instock LR and have a delivery date of 11/21 and my page still shows 1st check box in next steps as ORDER, which was like that when I was waiting for MR. I did trade in and cash as options. No Vin on website or looking at source, but got it from my delivery advisor.

Last edited:
I don't have a VIN # yet or a delivery date. We placed order on evening of 10/18. I just received an email today that they updated our order with my referral code (6 months free supercharging) so it must be moving along. We're hoping to get a VIN email and day now. Fingers crossed.

Stay in touch...

I too sent them an email asking for a referral code to be applied after the fact. But I am yet to receive an email confirming the referral code has been applied.

So, Monday people were getting delivery texts all day long. Today and yesterday have been hardly anything. I was thinking after how Monday was, that this whole week would be non stop with delivery texts.

I contacted my OA today about the MR delivery stages and this is what he replied - "I haven't seen them start delivering just yet! Soon I am sure though!" Seems like they havent started yet on the MR deliveries. BTW I'm from Chicago Western suburbs

I have to admit I'm a bit ticked off over this...but I'll get over it.

I was one of those that had a reservation, placed my order and the reservation wasn't used (a system glitch), and had a new order created. After I contacted Tesla, they said the reservation didn't matter. So...I got my reservation refunded and went on.

I think we have all realized at this point reservations matter based on the tracker and people commenting here. Well...I just tried to place a dummy order to see what the current delivery timing is. It says...

Delivery in ~6-10 weeks
Delivery time frame will be based on reservation date, order date, delivery location and vehicle configuration.

I guess they have officially changed their minds.

Ugh. Oh, well. Nothing I can do about it.