Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's just a hypothetical question...

I'm on the east coast and like many of us am a little concerned. As I ponder that, I pondered something else. I have the week between Christmas and New Years off of work. Would it be possible to say to Tesla that I would like to pick the car up in Fremont and do it on December 26th (if given an earlier date than that)?

you might also want to check with what the deal will be with the taxes. If you drive a car off a lot you HAVE to pay cali taxes and when you bring it back to your home state you will have to pay your state taxes as well. May not be worth it.

For anyone that got your VIN on MR already, did you submit all your details (including insurance) BEFORE you got your VIN? My insurance is telling me they cannot send me a proof of insurance card with Model 3 on it until I have a VIN.

I'm wondering if I'm holding anything up.

For anyone that got your VIN on MR already, did you submit all your details (including insurance) BEFORE you got your VIN? My insurance is telling me they cannot send me a proof of insurance card with Model 3 on it until I have a VIN.

I'm wondering if I'm holding anything up.

If you really want to get the boxes check, upload a picture of your insurance for your current car, if you have one. I still believe having all the check boxes completed does not help with getting the car delivered faster. That being said, I ended doing what others did and put my proof of insurance for one of our current cars on my account, got all the boxes checked...and a few days later got a delivery date. I very much think it was coincidental, but unfortunately cannot prove it.

For context, I ordered a popular configuration (Blk, Blk, Aeroes, No EAP), live in CO, and was a line waiter reservation holder. I think that had more influence than anything I did on my account.

If you really want to get the boxes check, upload a picture of your insurance for your current car, if you have one. I still believe having all the check boxes completed does not help with getting the car delivered faster. That being said, I ended doing what others did and put my proof of insurance for one of our current cars on my account, got all the boxes checked...and a few days later got a delivery date. I very much think it was coincidental, but unfortunately cannot prove it.

For context, I ordered a popular configuration (Blk, Blk, Aeroes, No EAP), live in CO, and was a line waiter reservation holder. I think that had more influence than anything I did on my account.

I will be the guinea pig for this unofficial experiment. I ordered exactly 2 weeks ago on 10/25, not a line waiter, no reservation, nothing. Blue MR, Black Int, 18, EAP. Have had the edit link ever since. Have had all boxes checked other than trade in since I'm trading in a car. Also set on Cash even though I'm going through CU. Also been "stuck" on step 1 of the tracker. Just for fun, I decided to click No trade in and just submitted right now.

Result, all 4 boxes checked, submit clicked, all boxes now gone, edit link disappeared. I'm now on step 2 in prepare for delivery. Let's see what happens in a few days. I'm sure all this means nothing but since I've been waiting 2 weeks already, why not experiment a little.

Reactions: PaulJB
I will be the guinea pig for this unofficial experiment. I ordered exactly 2 weeks ago on 10/25, not a line waiter, no reservation, nothing. Blue MR, Black Int, 18, EAP. Have had the edit link ever since. Have had all boxes checked other than trade in since I'm trading in a car. Also set on Cash even though I'm going through CU. Also been "stuck" on step 1 of the tracker. Just for fun, I decided to click No trade in and just submitted right now.

Result, all 4 boxes checked, submit clicked, all boxes now gone, edit link disappeared. I'm now on step 2 in prepare for delivery. Let's see what happens in a few days. I'm sure all this means nothing but since I've been waiting 2 weeks already, why not experiment a little.

I did the same thing 1.5 weeks ago. Didn’t make a difference.

Reactions: PaulJB
Anyone seen any reports of a red MR VIN getting assigned yet? I don't see any indication of that on the tracking spreadsheet or anywhere else.

I ordered this on 10/18 about 30 minutes after the MR was available:

-Red
-Aero Wheels
-Black Interior
-Enhanced Autopilot
-Santa Barbara, CA (about 2 miles from a service/delivery center)
-Reservation Holder (although it glitched out when I made the order and didn't use my reservation--not sure how this will affect things).

I haven't heard anything from Tesla since ordering and will post an update when I do!

Last edited:

Same thing since Oct 21 if it gives you any comfort or maybe not.

Anyone seen any reports of a red MR VIN getting assigned yet? I don't see any indication of that on the tracking spreadsheet or anywhere else.

I ordered this on 10/18 about 30 minutes after the MR was available:

-Red
-Aero Wheels
-Black Interior
-Enhanced Autopilot
-Santa Barbara, CA (about 2 miles from a service/delivery center)
-Reservation Holder (although it glitched out when I made the order and didn't use my reservation--not sure how this will affect things).

I haven't heard anything from Tesla since ordering and will post an update when I do!
I have same specs except upgraded wheels and in So Cal. I ordered within 20mins of Elon’s tweet. Only received email from OA but nothing regarding delivery or VIN. Also messed up and created new order instead of using reservation.

Reactions: CheeseJam
LA, CA
MR/aero/blue/blk/no AP
Ordered 10/25
Reservation since 4/10/16
Current owner
No contact from Tesla yet
I have same specs except upgraded wheels and in So Cal. I ordered within 20mins of Elon’s tweet. Only received email from OA but nothing regarding delivery or VIN. Also messed up and created new order instead of using reservation.
im So Cal also and haven’t heard anything. Seems like they are delaying the California deliveries until after east coast as they can get the cars to us quickly when they want to.

How do you give them insurance information, if you don't have the car or the VIN?

I don't think I ever had an edit button, but maybe I missed it.

I ordered the 8am EST on Nov 1 and had all the boxes checked on Nov 4. Haven't received any email or contact from Tesla, nor has my account page changed at all (and can't log in to the app yet).

My account says they'll reach out to schedule delivery and I can view the design details but no edit button from what I can see.

I'm a line-waiter from 3/31/16 and ordered a MR, White, Aero, EAP

My last new car was a Wrangler I also "built" with custom specs, so I'm okay with having faith and waiting it out. That was a cool process as you could track from when it hit the assembly line, went to paint, got on a truck to deliver, etc. Estimates were 6-8 weeks and I got it in 5.5.

How do you give them insurance information, if you don't have the car or the VIN?

Sad, but in ~37 odd states dealers won’t allow the release without proof of insurance and some states want VIN on insurance company record the day of purchase.

If coverage starts next day 12am, dealer will provide GAP insurance at time of sale. All these nuances and patchwork of state by state insurance regulations. Tesla just wants to know your existing insurance in image format.

I saw this on the website. So does this mean that if the delivery goes to Jan, we can still get half the federal tax credit?
upload_2018-11-8_12-23-20.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-8_12-22-26.png
    upload_2018-11-8_12-22-26.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 73
So do you think that they would add my own referral code if this was my first Tesla? I ordered the model 3 MR waiting on delivery and have access to my own code already. I know it is cheating the system but wor
im So Cal also and haven’t heard anything. Seems like they are delaying the California deliveries until after east coast as they can get the cars to us quickly when they want to.

That seems to be the case.

So does this mean that if the delivery goes to Jan, we can still get half the federal tax credit?
Yes, if you get the car no later than 12/31/2018, you qualify for the full tax credit. If you get it in January-June, you qualify for one half of the credit. That’s unless our lawmakers change the rules by then, which they can...

I placed my order back on 10/24 after going back and forth with the Mrs about LR vs MR, factoring in costs, etc. Went with MR MSM, blk &wht interior, EAP, 18". I had all my required checkboxes checked to include current proof of insurance (Arizona), drivers license, financing to include Tax Exemption for Active US Military (whatever that entails). Still on Step 1, edit design link is still available. Placed reservation on 11 Jul 2017.

Seem to have conflicting reports from Tesla reps. One told me the first production MR was October 18th-25th. Said my order was in production que. And that VIN would be assigned within a week or two. Another rep told me that there is no way to confirm any of those details and to not expect VIN or contact from DS as Tesla is swamped with orders and might hear something mid-november which she says would be around my 3week period prior to delivery.

I placed my order back on 10/24 after going back and forth with the Mrs about LR vs MR, factoring in costs, etc. Went with MR MSM, blk &wht interior, EAP, 18". I had all my required checkboxes checked to include current proof of insurance (Arizona), drivers license, financing to include Tax Exemption for Active US Military (whatever that entails). Still on Step 1, edit design link is still available. Placed reservation on 11 Jul 2017.

Seem to have conflicting reports from Tesla reps. One told me the first production MR was October 18th-25th. Said my order was in production que. And that VIN would be assigned within a week or two. Another rep told me that there is no way to confirm any of those details and to not expect VIN or contact from DS as Tesla is swamped with orders and might hear something mid-november which she says would be around my 3week period prior to delivery.

Again, checkboxes and edit buttons don’t matter. OAs know NOTHING. Carry on :).