Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why make MR white interior available knowing they would be challenging to deliver to customers looking for delivery by end of year?

For the sake of argument, let’s say they’re still at their 1,000/week number from July (NOT saying this is the case; just need to use a known number for the sake of explanation below).

If they’re producing < 1,000 white Performance units per week, they’d presumably want to maximize their potential profit by still building + installing 1,000 white upgraded interiors per week. So they take orders on AWD + RWD models, and then build their batches in order of profit margin: P > AWD > RWD.

I agree it’s not a great thing for those waiting for RWD, but clearly Tesla is willing to sacrifice a little customer satisfaction for filling the queue of orders / maximizing profit.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Esquire
White exterior
Black Interior
Aero Wheels
RWD
non-reservation/ non owner
configured 10/18
received weird order modification email from Tesla on 10/30 (I didn't modify anything)..sales rep can't figure out why
I'm in southern California

no far, no vin, no contact which seems to be the case for most non-reservation holders in the west coast (I'm in southern California)

Good luck everyone!

For the sake of argument, let’s say they’re still at their 1,000/week number from July (NOT saying this is the case; just need to use a known number for the sake of explanation below).

If they’re producing < 1,000 white Performance units per week, they’d presumably want to maximize their potential profit by still building + installing 1,000 white upgraded interiors per week. So they take orders on AWD + RWD models, and then build their batches in order of profit margin: P > AWD > RWD.

I agree it’s not a great thing for those waiting for RWD, but clearly Tesla is willing to sacrifice a little customer satisfaction for filling the queue of orders / maximizing profit.
I agree that it’s not great for customers. Especially those of us who put down $1000 nearly 3 years ago.

Reactions: brainded
I agree that it’s not great for customers. Especially those of us who put down $1000 nearly 3 years ago.

I’m with you. I’m lucky enough to be on the east coast (and day 0 reservation), so I have a delivery date. But how about an east coast with no reservation getting it before a day 0 west coast? Profit is king at the moment...I get it from a business perspective, but it’s not particularly “fair” :/ Sorry you’re stuck waiting.

I looked at the Teslike spreadsheet for the non-owner/non-res holders with delivery dates already, and most of them opted for EAP. I'm guessing that EAP is the biggest profit booster of all since it's just a matter of uploading software that they already developed...at $5,000 per car.

I’m with you. I’m lucky enough to be on the east coast (and day 0 reservation), so I have a delivery date. But how about an east coast with no reservation getting it before a day 0 west coast? Profit is king at the moment...I get it from a business perspective, but it’s not particularly “fair” :/ Sorry you’re stuck waiting.

I have a day 0 reservation and I’m on the East Coast. White interior with no delivery date. :(

It's nice to see you MR folks getting delivery dates across the country now. Hopefully bodes well for a wide roll-out before the end of the year.

Sweet. I'm about 10 minutes from Littleton. Let me know if you need a wingman. :D

The Littleton folks are a solid group.

Dang! Missed your message or I'd welcome more eyes to check out the car before delivery. Picked it up at noon today. My delivery was smooth and the car was near flawless.

Reactions: Cyclone
Ordered 11/6. MR. Blue/black/Aero/EAP.

Overnight the “Edit” link disappeared and I was asked to submit a credit application.

So I declined their loan, and chose cash payment option. Within a few hours I got a delivery date of November 27th. But no VIN number

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    176.2 KB · Views: 68
Took delivery today of a Black/Black/Aero/No EAP Mid Range Model 3 today. The car is already in to get PPF installed before it seriously sees Colorado roads, so no detailed remarks yet. However, here are my initial thoughts:
-Delivery was smooth and relatively quick (I was also prepared).
-Colorado Tesla staff was great (patient, helpful, prepared).
-My car was near flawless. I've looked at a decent amount of Model 3s at the delivery center and felt mine was up there near the top on fit and finish.**
-Acceleration: Granted I'm coming from a 2012 Prius, but the acceleration on the Mid Range felt very good. Those who are used to fast cars might nitpick on the differences, but to me it definitely feels like a Tesla.

I am very happy with the Mid Range.

**Edit: Just to clarify regarding fit and finish of my car, I had looked at several Model 3s in the past several months and felt my fit and finish was very good. It was not that I went and looked at a bunch of Model 3s today and felt mine was the best. My intent in commenting was to be one data point that possibly fit and finish has improved.

Last edited:
That's fine, but I don't want to hear "be patient" from someone who already got their delivery date. I'm mostly just annoyed that Tesla lets you sit for a month with zero communication even just to say "Thanks for ordering" - pathetic for a modern company that should understand the importance of CS.

When I order stuff from Apple, I typically don’t hear from them until the product is ready to ship. A car is s bigger purchase, of course, but the concept is the same.

When I order stuff from Apple, I typically don’t hear from them until the product is ready to ship. A car is s bigger purchase, of course, but the concept is the same.
Not really apples to apples comparison. I can buy something from Amazon and know down to the day when it is going to show up. Which is not also a fair comparison.

At this point, they have no excuse for being able to tell people that ordered 3+ weeks ago a more detailed timeline. They have to know when or if they are going to make a batch of white interiors and which exterior color. That would then allow them to provide a a timeline. I want to have something to expect. Not, wait, wait, wait, and then at the end of the year, them go. "Sorry, no car for you". I would hope that is not what they are doing, but without any information to the contrary, its really hard to know.

At this point, I don't trust them, because they have not provided any reason to do so. They could be transparent, but that is not Musk's style. At some point, they will burn through the pent up demand and will have to compete for business, and they will change or go out of business. But, that is probably a few years away sadly.

Not really apples to apples comparison. I can buy something from Amazon and know down to the day when it is going to show up. Which is not also a fair comparison.

At this point, they have no excuse for being able to tell people that ordered 3+ weeks ago a more detailed timeline. They have to know when or if they are going to make a batch of white interiors and which exterior color. That would then allow them to provide a a timeline. I want to have something to expect. Not, wait, wait, wait, and then at the end of the year, them go. "Sorry, no car for you". I would hope that is not what they are doing, but without any information to the contrary, its really hard to know.

At this point, I don't trust them, because they have not provided any reason to do so. They could be transparent, but that is not Musk's style. At some point, they will burn through the pent up demand and will have to compete for business, and they will change or go out of business. But, that is probably a few years away sadly.

I think to add to this, when you buy an iphone with an incentive attached... you don't wonder if you will get the full incentive. Because they are making them in batches and sending them out in only Elon knows what order, there is a lot of uncertainty if the dates given when ordered will be respected. If there was no incentive to order by year end then we would have a different story here.

Reactions: f8K37Sq31