Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trust me I am in same boat as you. I could care less as long as I get delivery on on before 11.59.59pm on Dec 31st. Earlier is always welcome.

Eh... wonder what is better. Not be in the first production batches so they work out a few kinks or be in the first batches and not be part of the rush before the year end. Have read stories QA is worst toward the end of month/quarter/year and we get all those combined on 12/31/2018 :)

Eh... wonder what is better. Not be in the first production batches so they work out a few kinks or be in the first batches and not be part of the rush before the year end. Have read stories QA is worst toward the end of month/quarter/year and we get all those combined on 12/31/2018 :)

I don’t believe there is an iota of evidence to support anything or to the contrary in terms of improvement over batches. It’s all conjecture.

Tesla is not producing plastic toys.... there are certain minimum standards now whatever they might be, they still have to ensure that all specs are within tolerance.

Another data point showing that Tesla is just holding CA deliveries in their back pocket, pushing cars to the east coast. Definitely seems like location is number one factor, then reservation, then configuration.
I tend to agree with you. from fremont to majority locations in CA is max 10 hours drive and they can deliver late in Dec. Delivering in East Coast in Dec will have weather challenge also.

Another factor could be more order in CA vs other states because of Solar EV combo.

I got solar and Spark EV both from 3 years and have paid mandatory ~ $10 per month to SDGE for electricity .

Also no GAS station trips and charges.

Last edited:
I'd imagine orders are being prioritized first and foremost by geography. However, the batches they choose to make (MSM, black, etc.) are likely driven off the number of orders in priority geographic regions.

Once the vehicles are built and ready to be assigned, I'd imagine they're being assign based on a weighted combination of delivery center ("fill the truck"), followed by reservation date, followed by order date.

The one exception to this, I imagine, would be the white seats. I've heard they're having trouble sourcing them (and can only get x per week). If there truly is a limited number here, they're going to prioritize higher net vehicles, such as Performance and dual motor. If you can only build x vehicles with white seats before EOY, you're going to build the ones that allow you to book the most revenue + profit.

Showing sustained profit (or Q over Q growth) is Tesla's primary goal at the moment. The easiest way to achieve this? Delivering the most number of vehicles, at the highest net, before Q4 closes.

I'd imagine orders are being prioritized first and foremost by geography. However, the batches they choose to make (MSM, black, etc.) are likely driven off the number of orders in priority geographic regions.

Once the vehicles are built and ready to be assigned, I'd imagine they're being assign based on a weighted combination of delivery center ("fill the truck"), followed by reservation date, followed by order date.

The one exception to this, I imagine, would be the white seats. I've heard they're having trouble sourcing them (and can only get x per week). If there truly is a limited number here, they're going to prioritize higher net vehicles, such as Performance and dual motor. If you can only build x vehicles with white seats before EOY, you're going to build the ones that allow you to book the most revenue + profit.

Showing sustained profit (or Q over Q growth) is Tesla's primary goal at the moment. The easiest way to achieve this? Delivering the most number of vehicles, at the highest net, before Q4 closes.

Is there a source for the white interior issues?

I just can't imagine that they are, given that they recently dropped the white interior pricing by $500 and have yet to re-increase or re-up the pricing. They increased the mid range price very quickly and lowered AWD pricing (presumably to optimize their mix), so I would have imagined a very rapid white interior increase if that were the case.

Batching just sounds like a more likely reason.

I wish they would have communicated this during the ordering process. Why was the estimate for white seats the same as the black when I selected the option? Why not have them reach out to customers to see if they want to switch?

You are right on. It also appears all reservation orders are filled for all of East Coast and now they are filling some non-reservations. My guess is Mid-west next week (TX, OH, IL) followed by Mountain States, SW, NW and California last. For those of you in East Coast wondering why you have not gotten your date, is probably because you don't have a reservation.

Florida here. I am a reservation holder, current Tesla owner and ordered on 10/14. No info or VIN to date other than a confirmation of my order. Midnight Silver and White interior. Not losing any sleep over this because it will be delivered before years end. If it was mid Dec, then I worry.

Reactions: AZ-3
Lol why would they want to let go of profits on selling white seats. They are a company not some non-profit org.
To be customer focused to those who loaned them $1000 nearly 3 years ago. Also - I’d a consider any color to take delivery by end of year, even if it means $1500 to do so. Simply assign users to unassigned VINS instead of letting them sit around.

Reactions: V__2
  • MR
  • White
  • Black interior
  • Aero
  • Ordered 10/18
  • Received order modified email 10/30 (no changes were done?)
  • No reservation
  • Not a current owner
  • Cash payment
  • No trade-in
  • Haven't talked or emailed a live person from Tesla
  • First time post
Just refreshing the Tesla account page every day in the morning

From what I read here (and I should really stop reading and maybe go write a letter to Santa instead!), most people get the update in the Tesla account late afternoon. On the other hand, you don't want to learn your coar is delivered soon just before bed time as you wont get much sleep :)

To be customer focused to those who loaned them $1000 nearly 3 years ago. Also - I’d a consider any color to take delivery by end of year, even if it means $1500 to do so. Simply assign users to unassigned VINS instead of letting them sit around.

You can already contact your local store and be assigned to an already produced vehicle at no cost, as long as you don't have a VIN.