Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you clarify about what you mean when you say trading in you avoid having to pay on sales taxes? If that's the case , then maybe I'll trade mine in.

The trade-in value is deducted from the purchase price of the new vehicle, so it will lower the sales tax owed on the new car purchase.

EDIT: Not sure if this is state specific. So you may want to double check if it applies in CA.

Correct me if i'm wrong but if you sell a car you also have to pay tax on the money that you get for it, vs a simple price reduction on the new car when you trade it. That could be different state by state. That's how I think it works but I'm not an accountant or tax attorney so take that with a grain of salt. I'm going to check with my sister-in-law who is an accountant and I can try to update when I get an answer.

Correct me if i'm wrong but if you sell a car you also have to pay tax on the money that you get for it, vs a simple price reduction on the new car when you trade it. That could be different state by state. That's how I think it works but I'm not an accountant or tax attorney so take that with a grain of salt. I'm going to check with my sister-in-law who is an accountant and I can try to update when I get an answer.

I was wrong:

So according to dmv.org (Your Income Tax and Selling a Used Car | DMV.ORG) you only have to report the car sale to the irs if you make a profit on it's sale. So i guess the only tax hit you would take would be if you sold your car for more than you bought it for and paying the tax on a higher purchase price if tesla does not deduct from your new car price the trade in value.

How are you getting that view?

There are currently 83 confirmed deliveries on the tracker. 83 black interior, 0 white. I am guessing they'll build the whites soon but it was Tesla's mistake to offer this at this point if they wanted to get as many cars to owners as possible. If I were you, just go with black. You can always wrap your interior and get aftermarket seats later if you really wanted. If it is any consolation... I know a guy that has a 3 year old Model X with white seats and the seats are definately not holding up.

Someone can definitely jump in here who may know better. I believe when you trade in your vehicle alongside another vehicle purchase it's not in the same boat as outright "selling" the vehicle.

I found this quote online: "If you own your car outright, the dealership will apply your trade-in amount to your new vehicle. For example, if you purchase a car for $25,000 and the dealership gives you $6,000 for your trade-in, you only need a loan for $19,000. And because the dealer knocked several thousand dollars off the final price of your automobile, you pay less in sales tax." (Source: Money Crashers)

Since dealerships do this a hundred times a week, I'm sure they could answer any direct questions for you regarding your specific situation.

Someone can definitely jump in here who may know better. I believe when you trade in your vehicle alongside another vehicle purchase it's not in the same boat as outright "selling" the vehicle.

I found this quote online: "If you own your car outright, the dealership will apply your trade-in amount to your new vehicle. For example, if you purchase a car for $25,000 and the dealership gives you $6,000 for your trade-in, you only need a loan for $19,000. And because the dealer knocked several thousand dollars off the final price of your automobile, you pay less in sales tax." (Source: Money Crashers)

Since dealerships do this a hundred times a week, I'm sure they could answer any direct questions for you regarding your specific situation.
theres something like 7 or 13 states that do not do this, i looked it up about a month ago. Virginia (my state) was not one of them.

It is different from state to state. For California, you still get charged sales tax on the price of the car before the trade in value is subtracted. Then whoever buys the trade-in get charged another sales/used tax. Double dipping is how CA rolls. :D

Just a friendly PSA for those who may be interested. I ordered a MR on 10/31. Once I figured out that LR RWD's are only 3k more, I pulled the trigger on a LR RWD Metallic Silver w/ 19's and black interior (no EAP) on 11/8. Got a delivery date almost immediately of 12/4 (I am in north Jersey). Just yesterday, my DA let me know that a red LR RWD was available, so I switched to that car since it was my first choice of color, but was not available when I was initially considering a switch to LR RWD. Interestingly, my delivery date is still 12/4 as confirmed by an IDA.

The point is that there is an unassigned LR RWD Metallic Silver w/ 19's and black interior in transit to the east coast. Maybe if someone wants to upgrade, you can still snag it.

Can you help me with the 3K difference between MR and LR RWD. Don't see the option on my order or edit page.

Thanks!

surprised i haven't received any updates considering my order on 10/23 for black/black/18s is seemingly being filled in my area. It took me 5 months to get my first tesla back in 2014, so I should be more prepared for this... lol

Yeah, definitely odd with that config and being a previous owner. But, sadly I think this entire process is a mystery that we will never be able to solve.

Reactions: johnny chimpo

100% correct