Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minnesota Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

Minnesota desired SuperCharger locations (General location)

• Minneapolis/St. Paul

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • Rochester

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Duluth

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • St. Cloud

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • Mankato

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Winona

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Bemidji

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Brainerd

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Fargo (ND)

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 18 24.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. The Holiday Inn and its parking ramp take up most of the entire block. There's a small surface lot and bank at the NE end (according to Streetview) but I can't see that the bank would be interested in hosting a SC or sharing its lot. The parking ramp has four L2 chargers in it, and I have heard that one of the owners drives a Tesla. So, the SCs are probably going into the ramp somewhere. Are there other cases where Tesla has put SCs in parking ramps?

Interesting. The Holiday Inn and its parking ramp take up most of the entire block. There's a small surface lot and bank at the NE end (according to Streetview) but I can't see that the bank would be interested in hosting a SC or sharing its lot. The parking ramp has four L2 chargers in it, and I have heard that one of the owners drives a Tesla. So, the SCs are probably going into the ramp somewhere. Are there other cases where Tesla has put SCs in parking ramps?

There are a few in parking garages like Normal IL, Savannah GA, and Atlanta GA. The value of the project is listed as $75,000 on the permit so I don't think it's an HPWC going in.

The Holiday Inn is the site. If you check Plugshare there was just a checkin at their J1772's and the Tesla owner was told by staff to expect the SC in late July.....but I am hoping sooner!

I sent a note via Plugshare for the person to scout the area and take photos, but have not heard anything back.

There are going to be at least 4 Destination Charging sites to the N and E of Duluth and the SC, really nice coverage for a fairly remote area.

Based on this evidence, I started a new thread dedicated to the Supercharger coming to Duluth!

Supercharger - Duluth, MN

On another note, the 2015 map seems to show Superchargers coming to the Minneapolis area as well as sites near Sandstone on I-35 which will make winter driving to Duluth comfortable, and Brainerd to give access to the Mississippi Headwaters area. Any intel on those possible sites?

Based on this evidence, I started a new thread dedicated to the Supercharger coming to Duluth!

On another note, the 2015 map seems to show Superchargers coming to the Minneapolis area as well as sites near Sandstone on I-35 which will make winter driving to Duluth comfortable, and Brainerd to give access to the Mississippi Headwaters area. Any intel on those possible sites?

Awesome!!

-m

There has been talk for at least a year of the Tesla showroom in Minneapolis moving to a more prominent location. Currently, it's along Hwy. 169, and you can see it from the highway, but only if you know it's there. Otherwise, the surrounding trees obscure it such that it's visible for only about a half second. It has been mentioned they might move up to somewhere along I-394 where there are several other car dealerships which one can see from a long ways off. This is all just rumor of course, and when I've asked the Tesla folks about it, they say they've not heard anything definitive yet. Anyway, if they do move, that would be a good time to add a SC at the new site.

One advantage of this location is the hotel the control has over the stalls, if ICEing occurs there will be good recourse. Because they already invested in J1772's it shows they are enthusiastic about EV's and I suspect will proud of hosting the SC and won't let it be ICEd or otherwise neglected.

I very much agree that they will take proper care of it. They are super into the EV thing. When we were up there earlier this summer, the front desk person even walked out and showed me how the chargepoint RFID card worked. (I knew already, but was refreshing to see a hotel that was excited about it too).

I don't have a feel for where the superchargers after going in though. It seems like it's on the side opposite the Chargepoint chargers. Or possibly on another floor....?

-m

This is what I get for not checking TMC while I'm on Vacation. I was just up visting my folks in Two Harbors area (just up the shore) this last weekend, could have pulled through and check on construction! Regardless, this is fantastic news!

The Duluth Supercharger is welcome news. Looks like it is in the Holiday Inn parking lot from the Supercharger Map... GPS coordinates 46.785371, -92.101561

i am waiting for the Model 3 but this will be the nearest Supercharger to me in Thunder Bay, ON. Google maps shows 314 km. or 195 miles from my home to this new Supercharger. It is just out of real world range for the Model 3 if it stays at 200 mi. rated range. Hopefully, new battery tech. will increase the range on the Model 3 once available. 250 miles x 80% = 200 mi. 250 miles of rated range will do it.

Any news on Minneapolis - St. Paul supercharger? I don't want to spend another winter driving 60 to make it to the cities and back. I see several Chademo stations, perhaps buying an adapter is the easier solution. Would be great though to have the supercharger open before winter.

Any news on Minneapolis - St. Paul supercharger? I don't want to spend another winter driving 60 to make it to the cities and back. I see several Chademo stations, perhaps buying an adapter is the easier solution. Would be great though to have the supercharger open before winter.

Are any of those CHAdeMO sites places where an adapter could be kept by the staff and loaned to Tesla drivers?

(One was placed at Rouses Market in New Orleans because of the great destination location, willingness of management, the FREE price of the charger station, and being able to use Referral Credit to get the adapter.)

Need a similarly good location to host another one!

edit: Pine City's CHAdeMO (on Greenlots network) maybe? The adapter could theoretically be kept at the Family Pathways Thrift Store, or for later hours, at Chubby's Sports Bar...

Last edited: