TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Minor bumper damage/scuff -- options for repair in Chicago?

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by Argelius, May 30, 2014.

1. Argelius

Argelius Member

As painful as it is for me to admit, my left front bumper sustained some minor damage that is beyond the ability of some wax to fix...

Just curious if anyone has any recommendations? (And I'd really prefer Chicago, since getting to some of the 'burbs isn't always easy for me).

On a side note, I really hate how easily damaged these plastic bumpers are (on any car -- not just Teslas). Sometimes it seems like if you breathe on them too hard, they'll scuff...

2. rdrcrmatt

rdrcrmatt Member

I had one repaired at Marshall Auto Body up in Brookfield WI, about 10 minutes west of Milwaukee. VERY pleased with how it turned out and I was throughly impressed with the service. I commute every day down to the Chicago area, it would be worth the drive. They're the only Tesla certified body shop that I know of. Scott, who owns the company, is on this board and is also a Model S owner.

Marshall Auto Body

262-549-4300

3. Alfafoxtrot1

Alfafoxtrot1 Member

Gold Coast, on Division at Elston is the Tesla certified shop in Chicago. I was rear ended and their repair was flawless.

4. Argelius

Argelius Member

Thanks. I contacted them to get an estimate. My damage is very superficial, but it's ​killing me!

5. Liz G

Liz G P03056

Marshall did work on my car when it was hit with a shovel. They did a great job paint matching the fenders, bumper, and hood. I would highly recommend them.

6. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Maybe too late. Can you send a picture? Is it paint transfer?

7. Argelius

Argelius Member

I'd been meaning to post this picture. It looks a little worse in person, although like I said, it's pretty superficial. I've tried buffing (with liquid wax) out the paint that transferred, but there's more to it than that. I'm guessing with the right products it can probably be made "acceptable")...

IMG_4568.jpg

8. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

#8 kevincwelch, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    So, a lot of that looks like paint transfer. What did you hit? Some of it may be scratches through the clearcoat and basecoat, particularly that small gouge near the top.

If there is paint and residue, you can try some mineral spirits to see if that gets rid of the paint. Light pressure. After that, a good polish will probably remove the paint that remains to make it more acceptable. After that, you'll need to put on some new was/sealant to protect the area.

You could try your basic Scratch X or Swirl X, which you can pick up from AutoZone or something like that. If you want a closer look or opinion, swing by my place and I can take a look at it. I've successfully buffed out a lot of paint transfer on my own car and wife's car before using a polisher and various compounds polishes.

PS: change your .sig! 10/2013 was 7 months ago!

9. llngoc

llngoc Member

My car just for a similar scratch. How much was your estimate from the shop? Mine was $2600-6000 depending if the underlying magnesium plate needs to be replaced.