Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor vibration/shaking at speeds greater than 70 MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wres2345

Jun 10, 2017
NYC
I've had the car for about 6 months, and it's fun, beyond fun, actually. But recently, I noticed a slight shimmering or vibration at speeds over 70. Sometimes less, sometimes more. Driving performance doesn't seem to be compromised, but it's definitely not as smooth as before. It's not nearly as noticeable as trying to go 70 with Valet Mode on, and I haven't hit any potholes, so I'm not sure what's going on. I hesitate to take it to a dealer, only because last time I did, it took forever to get the car back. Any suggestions?

Tire balance. If that doesn't work, get them to spin your actual rims. especially 21" as they are prone to damage on rough roads. Failing which it could be any number of issues with suspension, wheel bearings etc.

Always start with tires...

• Informative
Reactions: KidDoc
This happened to me when I went above approximately 50 mph. The speed when the vibrations kicked in wasn't constant. The vibrations dissipated when I was trailing another car/truck. It felt like it had something to do with the wind. I checked wheel alignment, that wasn't the problem.

From reading online, it sounded like I had a problem that others had: the front bumper was causing the vibration. The bottom of the front bumper would give too much when you squeeze it softly by hand. Tesla service installed a foam and that fixed it. No more vibrations.

The vibrations were very subtle in the beginning. I definitely just thought it was the bad winter roads. But it got more and more noticeable after about 4 months. If I were you, I'd squeeze the bottom part of the front bumper. If it allows your hand tosqueeze it, then that's possibly the problem