Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirror Assault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
When I approach Angel, like a puppy who wants to go out, she comes to life, flashes her lights and pops out her mirrors. How sweet. She also does this when I pass by the door leading to the garage--I can see her lights from the garage. She does seem to get very anxious. Unfortunately, Angel is a bit wide for my garage and her mirrors make it hard to walk beside her. When I'm in town and parked in a normal slot with another car nearby, she has on more than one occasion nearly smacked me with the mirror as I approach.

I've had vehicles with auto-park mirrors before (my Lexus RX 450h had them), but invariably, they didn't extend until the driver door was opened. This way, I could walk next to the car (even after it has sensed my presence) and open the door without the mirror assaulting me.

I have not seen an option for this. To whom would I make this suggestion? It seems like a minor change to the software.

Reactions: hiroshiy
One thing I've done on my Model S is to make a new driver profile called "Garage" which is just like my normal driver profile but it has the auto-extend for mirrors turned off (I think it's in the Settings but I'm away from my car at the moment).

Note that in prior versions of the software (on the Model S and I believe on the Model X as well) the auto-extending mirrors waited until a door was opened (i.e. as you described for other cars). In this case, the minor change in the software means reverting it to the prior behavior.

Bruce.

Bruce, interesting idea... I’ve had autofold off since day one because I’m in the garage a lot and also need to fold the mirrors to get into the garage. I was thinking I would like to use autofold when out and about so a different profile that has auto fold on for ‘driving’ would be interesting.

What we need though is a profile that has manual fold and also does the folding. Because if I understand correctly, I’d need to switch to this profile and also fold the mirrors. When leaving the garage, just switching would do, since mirrors auto unfold at speed.

It’s still a good idea to have the mirrors fold as a conformation of lock on walk away, etc.

Mostly.

1) Mirrors don't automatically do anything (manual mode)
2) Parking mode. Mirrors park when the vehicle locks but do not extend until the driver fastens their seatbelt. This permits other passengers to get in when space is tight.
3) Near the garage mode (GPS mode) (optional) Retract mirrors when the garage door is opened--auto extend when the garage door is closed.

Reactions: Amp Dup
Mostly.

1) Mirrors don't automatically do anything (manual mode)
2) Parking mode. Mirrors park when the vehicle locks but do not extend until the driver shifts the car out of park. This permits other passengers to get in when space is tight.
3) Near the garage mode (GPS mode) (optional) Retract mirrors when the garage door is in range of the car returning home--auto extend when the garage door is no longer in that zone.

See my edits underlined above.